• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Can 5-MAPB be considered as an Isomer, Ester or Ether of MDMA?

It's not an isomer, ester or ether of MDMA or anything like that. However, it is structurally similar to MDMA, which is something that is very vague in definition. But you can't get 5-MAPB by simple procedures of esterification or etherification or something like that.

I'm not sure how the system works in USA (considering you're american). I guess a way to prove would be to determine the molecular structure of the substance in question, by NMR for example. However, it is still "structurally similar" to a scheduled substance, so...

I am in South Africa and there is no law sating "structurally similar" drugs are illegal.

It's not our responsibility to give you the go-ahead or red light on something of a legal matter. That's important as the first thing to keep in mind about the forum. :)

But as BD said: no technically 5-MAPB is not an isomer, ester or ether of MDMA. Those would refer to drugs that are pro-drugs of illicit substances, or just another form (conformation). 5-MAPB is none of those.
It has the methamphetamine backbone present in the structure, but is not extremely close to that either.

Apparently in Canada it would be considered too structurally similar and illegal.

One thing to possibly keep in mind as well, is that the circumstances of getting caught may be more relevant for legal risk. If there is a huge incident, arguing that it's merely structurally similar to MDMA or meth may not convince people who aren't really interested in subtleties of chemistry.
But if the situation of getting caught is pretty much harmless / victimless, it may not even be interesting enough to even start to try and prosecute.

Proceed at your own risk and with caution.

The PBs slipped under the radar in the UK for a while because the aromatic wasn't a benzene (or substituted) but a benzofuran ring. Not any longer.

Shall we proceed to the aminopropyl thienothiophenes then? :)

Errrr... Possible, but LogP not so good, S gets oxidised and the smell..... THE SMELL! Like you're thinking,

;)

Better put a beta-keto on it to mask the sulfury smell then..