• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Calls to end Australia's excessive drinking

poledriver

Bluelighter
Senior Australian of the Year Gordian Fulde calls to end Australia's excessive drinking

http%3a%2f%2fprod.static9.net.au%2f_%2fmedia%2f2016%2f01%2f26%2f08%2f50%2f2601gordianfuldeaap.ashx

Australia's longest-serving head of an emergency department Professor Gordian Fulde says Aussies are drinking too much and for too long. (AAP)

It'll take at least another generation before Australia realises the danger of its drinking culture, according to NSW doctor Gordian Fulde.

Professor Fulde was yesterday named Senior Australian of the Year.

He's the country's longest-serving head of an emergency department having worked at St Vincent's Hospital and Sydney Hospital for more than three decades.

While there is nothing wrong with a couple of glasses of wine or beer, too many of us are drinking too much and for too long - especially on occasions like Australia Day.

"At the end of the day, there shouldn't be a whole lot of six-packs and cartons and flagons of wine just because you've been there all day at the BBQ," Professor Fulde said.

"That's what's wrong."

The 67-year-old wants to use his new title to help the community say: "We don't like this. We don't have to be drunk, horrible and violent."

"There's nothing wrong with a couple of beers, even a couple of glasses of wine ... but I think we've got to get rid of our bad drinking habits which are pretty solid in this country," he added.

"I think we're getting better, but it'll take a generation or so."

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...alia-s-excessive-drinking#QbIeqTIMKg4Z7M0A.99

Yeah being an alcoholic sucks yet for some it's their drug of choice. As is the case for me....

Last week 3 days in a row coming back from the pub I'd pass out at a bus stop only to wake up 2 - 3 hours later, then the following day found myself doing the same and on the third I woke up after a 3 hour nap at KFC where no doubt people could see me sleeping or snoring. This part is embarrassing but when you've done it so many times you stop caring. And this is the problem with alcohol, it literally makes you not care about a darn thing.

I wish alcohol was banned.

I dont think banning it would help much, it would just put the production and profits in the hands of crime gangs who would sell it. You'd still be able to get it, but you would be more at risk of getting something far more dangerous and deadly.

http://www.abc.net.au/health/features/stories/2013/09/10/3845522.htm

I had a drinking problem for years and years (like 5) and I was going through half a case of beer by myself somedays like it was nothing, it was hardly even getting me that drunk I had such a tolerance to it. I put on 20 kg's and had a bloated beer belly. My GP told me if I didnt stop i'd do myself some serious long term damage. He also said if I stopped I'd lose the weight and bloating. He was correct, I have lost it. At the time I didnt know if I could do it and I was in a bit of a depressed mind frame that I didnt really think I would lose the weight and belly. But I went 15 months without any alcohol and I lost the weight and the belly went away.

I broke my dry run a few weeks before Christmas and had a few binges and stopped again on the 1st of Jan and havent touched any since. It's addictive shit.

Think of the money you will save and your health, your productivity will improve alot if you can quit, it has for me anyway.

I hope you can get off it or cut down.

Last edited:
Haha if they made it illegal I'd be back to my old ways. Ever watch moonshiners? I made GALLONS and GALLONS of homemade wine at 15. Some I drank, most of it I threw up. Even made shine one time but I never learned to weld and never was too handy at things so I never had a still going. In fact I am hypothetically planning on building a "water distillation" device once I get the funds.

I'm all for moderation as in not getting too drunk you do stupid shit but if you just have a high tolerance and its a holiday it isn't the time to be sitting there sipping a light beer like its the last one to leave Milwaukee for God sakes!

@noonoo I feel you though about alcohol making you not give a fuck. Me and my best friend call it the "fuck it" button cause it really does make you not give a fuck.

Last edited: