• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

California Study Suggests Marijuana a Substitute for Alcohol

Bluelight Crew
http://stopthedrugwar.org/speakeasy/2013/oct/30/california_study_suggests_mariju

A New York Times article this week, Few Problems With Cannabis for California, reports that a pending study in the Journal of Policy Analysis and Management by Mark Anderson and Daniel Reese has found increased marijuana use to be a substitute for alcohol use in California:

Based on existing empirical evidence, we expect that the legalization of recreational marijuana in Colorado and Washington will lead to increased marijuana consumption coupled with decreased alcohol consumption. As a consequence, these states will experience a reduction in the social harms resulting from alcohol use.

The article discusses alcohol's relationship to traffic fatalities and violent crime, including domestic abuse, predicting that marijuana legalization will reduce those problems, with youth use of marijuana remaining stable.

The substitution question has been raised repeatedly at academic fora on marijuana legalization since the Colorado and Washington initiatives passed last year. In our movement we have tended to assume that they are substitutes, but not all academics are sure. At a one-day conference held by the RAND Drug Policy Research Center, at their Washington office, one of the guest presenters said the evidence they've seen "clearly" indicates that marijuana is a complement for alcohol use, e.g. increased availability of marijuana could have the effect of increasing alcohol use and is at least correlated with it. Another one of the guest presenters immediate chimed in to say that the evidence his team has seen "clearly" indicates that marijuana and alcohol are substitutes.

DPRC co-director Beau Kilmer often notes that a change in the amount of alcohol use, up or down, could dwarf any increase in marijuana use in terms of its public health ramifications, because alcohol is more harmful than marijuana. But he's cited evidence pointing in both directions, sometimes in different directions for different groups of people. Hopefully the JPAM study's findings will be born out by further research.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/speakeasy/2013/oct/30/california_study_suggests_mariju

I know I'd rather smoke some nice crystally cured buds then drink some shit alcohol. I use marijuana when I'm drinking not vice versa.

I can't really see people who drink regularly switchin over but I say we legalize marijuana and find out.

I can't really see people who drink regularly switchin over but I say we legalize marijuana and find out.

I would switch over. At present I drink a fair bit and I think I'd really reduce that and smoke weed if I could obtain it legally without all the bullshit I have to go through now if I wont to get it. The main reason I dont smoke weed anymore for me is that I find it hard to obtain where I live and the standard of the weed for the price is not worth me paying for. I dont support the dealers I have met around here who often try and pass off really shit weed for still very high prices. When I lived in the city I could get good hydro all the time and was smoking it alot more and drinking alot less, where I moved to I hardly knew anyone so the reverse happened.

for me personally, if weed was legal and i could just got to a store and buy some i would hardly ever drink alcohol. i dont drink much anymore but i used to be a daily drinker and pot smoker. now that im older drinking everyday would just be pathetic. even more so then when i was a college drunk. alcohol is a horrible drug, probably the worst out there. it makes people violent and dangerous, it damages all your organs even your brain, it makes you fat, it encourages dangerous sexual behavior and is the number 1 date rape drug. alcohol kills more people than all the other drugs combined, especially when you factor in drunk driving and accidental deaths, overdoses, and violence by drunk people. hell most overdoses attributed to opiates are combined overdoses. it talks a lot about this in that article about the GLEE guy who died from booze and heroin. if he had chosen only one of those drugs instead of both he would still be alive. if he was just doing heroin he probably would still be alive. but in the media, they blame the heroin, not the alcohol.

i dont know the stats but most overdoses are from alcohol combined with other drugs and this happens because there is such a lax attitude towards alcohol. people think its just couple drinks it wont hurt me, but when you are drunk you lose your judgement and drink more and more until it becomes very dangerous and you are completely unaware of the danger. the only times ive come close to dying were from alcohol, sometimes with other drugs but usually just way too much alcohol. lucky for me i had good people around me and they made sure i was ok.

but it took two or three times of that happening before i really cut the drinking down to almost none. i went from drinking everyday to drinking maybe once or twice a month. the wake up call for me was crashing my truck into someone while drunk as hell. i didnt hurt anyone, if i did i dont think i could live with myself, and somehow i did not even go to jail or get a ticket. it was a wake up call tho, i realized that i dodged a life destroying bullet by the width of a hair and i was not gonna get another chance like that to quit while i was ahead. now i never drink and drive and i wont ride with someone who has been drinking. i came so close to losing everything and even worse i could have taken everything away from someone i didnt even know, a completely innocent person got fucked over because i made some bad choices. thankfully it was just a damaged SUV and not a injured person.

Sorry kinda redundant i know but i really hope there are more studies like this that show that not only is marijuana legalization not dangerous or going to make things worse, but actually going to make things better for everyone. its providing jobs to people who might not otherwise get very good jobs, its causing people to use less alcohol and that in turn reduces all the problems mentioned and more. less people drinking less often means less health problems.

the anti pot folks will always say smoking pot is bad because smoking anything is bad, blah blah blah. but its not that bad. drinking alcohol is much worse and smoking cannabis does way less damage than smoking tobacco. of course you can also eat or vaporize and people are developing other products for different methods of intake; like nasal sprays and topical formulations so you can absorb thru the skin and maybe even suppositories. i have not heard of a suppository yet but i bet someone will do it, there are already many different kinds of suppositories for a variety of different medicines. also marijuana is extra safe because you cant snort it or inject it, even if you extracted and refined it.

Legal Pot is a grand unexplored frontier in this country and the whole world. I envision many great things in the coming years for the cannabis crowd. I also think that once it becomes legal in a few more states it will either become legal nationally or they will decriminalize nationally, legalize nationally, or we many see a situation where pot stays "illegal" but the law is no longer enforced unless you are operating in the black market or selling to minors. i could see a situation where they actually start giving people marijuana tax stamps as per the original law regulating cannabis, the 1937 tax stamp act. I mean technically marijuana is legal to posses if you pay for a tax stamp and have it with your pot, problem is no one is allowed to pay the tax and get the damn stamp.

Just think of all the money to be made from taxing pot. OMG we could do so much with that money. An for once i think people would not complain about a tax if they could get pot legally, as long as the tax was reasonable. If pot was not a black market product the price to produce and get it to market would be much, much lower than it is now. Hell the price of pot has fallen substantially in the last decade. I remember in college paying 15 to 30 percent more than the current prices. I bet that would fall by half or more if it was legal. i cant wait for the day when legalization goes national, until then im seriously considering moving to colorado, ive only been once but it was awesome even before they legalized.

The study title is misleading. Alcohol and cannabis are not really interchangeable in terms of their biochemistries and long-term effects on the body. IMO cannabis is healthier than alcohol.

And what about people who really love their booze who will just add cannabis to the mix?

I think that marijuana is overall a smoother cleaner experience than drinking. Most people will use both but I think marijuana will be more popular there are no calories, no hangovers, and much less chance of a DUI.

I think that the possibility that many drinkers will switch to cannabis is one main reason that cannabis is still illegal.
The alcohol industry does a little squishy poop in their pants each time cannabis gets closer to being legalized.

nice conspirarcy theory.

Not very well traveled, are you? Have you any idea just how powerful the alcohol and tobacco lobbies are? No?

Do you think alcohol/tobacco would want less customers buying their products? Come on! You can't be that reckless as to how that would affect them.
You bet your ass they would want cannabis to remain illegal. You bet your ass. Let's just say I bet my ass. There you are.

You need to get out more. Seriously.

Not very well traveled, are you? Have you any idea just how powerful the alcohol and tobacco lobbies are? No?

Do you think alcohol/tobacco would want less customers buying their products? Come on! You can't be that reckless as to how that would affect them.
You bet your ass they would want cannabis to remain illegal. You bet your ass. Let's just say I bet my ass. There you are.

Exactly. Hence the term "multinational corporation".

Weed legalization is becoming more appealing to the average American. If only the average American voted!

I'm not saying I disagree with anybody but: A friend of mine bet his ass on something that eventually ended up being wrong. Now he has to go through life without an ass. That is a fate I wish on nobody. Just a cautionary tale in the interest of harm reduction.

^ I think I get your point, ass-less though it may be.
I do not want to say that I am absolutely 100% correct in what I stated above, but at least that it isn't a conspiracy theory!

I can't make any switch till I get my anxiety disorder in tact...

Weed douses me in gasoline while I am flaming in anxiety... It counteracts my goal of peace in my head.

It makes me somewhat anxious as well...which could lead to a potential psychotic rage. Not my cup of tea. But some people are fine with it, in fact most people are fine. It should be legal 100%. It's no worse than alcohol, in the very worst case. Alcohol will destroy one's brain much quicker than any cannabis of any sort.

I think the switchers they have in mind are the recreational drinkers, not the self-medicators.

That is an awful lot of ass-betting going on in one small paragraph....Somebody could come an just flay your ass-cheeks off one at a time...Unless you're actually betting your asshole too, which would present a much more grave situation...