• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

California Pot Shop Ban: Judge Rules Cities Can Outlaw Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Seyer

Bluelight Crew
SAN FRANCISCO — The California Supreme Court ruled Monday that cities and counties can ban medical marijuana dispensaries, a ruling likely to further diminish the state's once-extravagant network of storefront pot shops and fuel efforts to bring greater oversight to the quasi-legal industry.

In a unanimous opinion, the court held that California's medical marijuana laws – the nation's first and most liberal – neither prevent local governments from using their land-use powers to zone dispensaries out of existence nor grant authorized users convenient access to the drug.

"While some counties and cities might consider themselves well-suited to accommodating medical marijuana dispensaries, conditions in other communities might lead to the reasonable decision that such facilities within their borders, even if carefully sited, well managed, and closely monitored, would present unacceptable local risks and burdens," Justice Marvin Baxter wrote for the seven-member court.

The ruling came in a legal challenge to a ban enacted by the city of Riverside in 2010, but another 200 jurisdictions have similar prohibitions on retail pot sales, the advocacy group Americans for Safe Access estimates. Many were enacted in the past five years as the number of dispensaries swelled and amid concerns that many shops were thinly veiled outlets for illegal drug sales.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/06/california-pot-shop-ban-j_n_3224189.html

Plenty of other articles out there and more coming by the minute since this is just a few hours old. This is currently the most in depth one I could find.

Whats fucked up to me that I used to live in Riverside and there were clubs all over. Did anyone care? No. I lived within a 3 mile radius of at least 10 different clubs and did crime rates go up? No.

This is unbelievable.
Would they outlaw pharmacies?
Can they outlaw alcohol, cigarette, or caffeine vendors?
Preposterous.
Once again, those who use cannabis as medicine are subject to bias and unfair laws.

I am all for the legalization of ALL drugs, but I think it is plenty fair for towns to be able to vote against having dispensaries, just as dry counties exist. The vast majority of Americans want MMJ, so I don't expect much of an impact here. If they vote against it, it is their loss, but it gives smaller communities a sense of control even if their intention is misguided.

I don't see it changing a lot because now these counties see the money they get from taxing it. It's hard to take away a source of revenue once it exists.

Read more:

Whats fucked up to me that I used to live in Riverside and there were clubs all over. Did anyone care? No. I lived within a 3 mile radius of at least 10 different clubs and did crime rates go up? No.

Come back :(

is this news? my city voted against mmj dispensaries like 1-2 years ago

The California Supreme Court had no say in it then; they just made the ruling yesterday to make it official.

The difference is that a dry county isn't banning legal distribution centres for a prescription medication.

Bingo. Take away my clinics then close down the Walgreens and Cvs pharmacies then to be fair.