• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Caffeine drinking potentiates cannabinoid transmission in the striatum

Yeah the combination of caffeine and marijuana has certain effects that neither drug has on its own, and a distinct effect profile. It's not a combo for the highly neurotic, jumpy, fearful, or paranoid.

I only find I get a favorable experience if I have the caffeine before the marijuana. If I smoke first, I don't feel the caffeine much at all. Based on this paper, that makes sense. A lot of drugs taken for the potentiation of other drugs work best when taken a short time before the drug they potentiate.

^ i find the same. and, i wayyyy prefer caffeine+ to just smoking alone.

Im a very heavy smoker, mostly thru a volcano too, so less CBD and such. Ive noticed that caffeine very strongly changes the high. it usually gives me a head ache if it was a heavy indica, and it makes me very dizzy if it was a strong sativa. I used to like caffeine when i was younger, but ever since ive been a pothead it has bothered me a LOT. i even had an episode were i had to go to my doctor as soon as he opened the door one day, i was lucky enough to be practically next door. I had two medium sized monsters and 3-4 shots of vodka, and smoked like usual the night before. I was playing around with my ex (R.I.P.) and got a little too into it and developed a severe pain in the back of my head. i never went away and thats why i went to the doc. he said i had the highest blood pressure hes ever saw and tried to take me to the hospital. i ended up with a catscan and everything, turned out it was just the caffeine tho.
i used to get the same bad headaches when i would smoke really good weed and cough real hard. after i went thru that little episode and talked to the doc a bit i figured out it was the caffeine. I hardly ever consume caffeine now and i feel much better because of it. i suggest not combining the two. if u want a racier high then u need more sativa buds...

Please don't turn this into a "weed plus caffeine experiences" thread.

I'm skeptical as to how many of the desirable effects of cannabis are due to downstream inhibitory effects on GABAnergic transmission.

I'm skeptical as to how many of the desirable effects of cannabis are due to downstream inhibitory effects on GABAnergic transmission.

A lot of the GABA effects are on interneurons in the ventral tegmental area, those neurons usually inhibit the release of things like dopamine, inhibition of GABA release accounts for the majority of the positive effects associated with THC I'd say. The sedative effects would come from inhibition of glutamate...

so on the one hand (this is simplified greatly, but w/e) inhibition of GABA release gets one high (^you're saying) and GABA release can also produce a high?

Any change in neurochemical levels could produce a change in headspace or "high".

Inhibition of GABA release = decrease in level of inhibitory chemicals in the synapse = cells more likely to be excited. (really, less likely to not be excited.)
GABA agonism produces euphoria because it stops cells from preventing the release of dopamine, I think. To behonest, I don't really know...

One can get into trouble trying to make generalisations like you are. I would expect inhibition of GABA release to increase seizure risk among other things, given the effects of GABA antagonists...

which could be why (in addition to an anxiety) many marijuana users notice themselves shaking (there's a big thread about it over there)