• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Caffeine... Can it be dangerous at normal dosages of around 100mg.

purplehaze147

Bluelighter
It sounds like a silly question, but it's not about me me. It's more for moral reasons. Like at my job, if a customer comes through the drive thru asking for decaffeinated coffee, I usually have to lie and say it's decaffeinated. The way I feel about it is if you have a serious reason to not have caffeine, then you should make your own coffee. Plus I don't have any reaction to caffeine, I can't tell whether I consumed caffeine or not (I never overdosed on caffeine such as taken more than a gram at a time). I don't even go through withdrawal from caffeine and I drink coffee daily unless I'm in a rush and then forget.

Without tolerance to it I have quite a reaction to 100mg of coffeine, at lest when drunk in a coffee. 100mg of pure coffeine are noticeable but a bit weaker.

With pure coffeine overdose signs occur at around 700mg. With coffee i normally Start feeling sleepy at that dose.

i wish i could have any caffeinated beverage, but i become homicidal. so for me, yes it could be dangerous, i normally wouldnt hurt a fly(everything else is fair game) but yes, as my southern friend says "you get ugly darlin`"

I knew a girl once who had an allergy to caffeine that would make her lips and tongue swell up. It's kind of harsh to suggest that she should make her own coffee at home when decaf options are available and when she should be able to trust people like you to not give her anaphylaxis. How does that sit with you morally?

I was surprised to find out how many fast food joints do this. Because they sell so little decaf they just make regular because the pot of decaf sits there and gets a burnt flavor so they make a new pot and the same thing happens. So they just start making regular and selling it as decaf. In the mornings it;s different. They sell more so they can keep both going but if decaf is ordered in the afternoon people are going to get regular coffee. I disapprove of this as some people ( heart disease, high blood pressure, allergic) shouldn't have caffeine at all. It's a shady and dishonest practice that McDonalds uses. Years ago when I worked there I would tell customers we just didn't have any as opposed to giving them a cup of regular.

Most would just say okay, I'll have the regular but others would decline. Those were probably the ones that just didn't want the caffeine to keep them up or something. The ones that would decline the regular were probably people that had medical conditions that would get worse with the caffeine.

I mean one cup probably wouldn't do much harm but it's still a shady practice.How hard is it to keep a fresh carafe of decaf available. So what if you have to throw some down the drain here and there.

I knew a girl once who had an allergy to caffeine that would make her lips and tongue swell up. It's kind of harsh to suggest that she should make her own coffee at home when decaf options are available and when she should be able to trust people like you to not give her anaphylaxis. How does that sit with you morally?
THIS

I'm just curious: what reason do you have for giving your customers regular coffee in lieu of decaf when they ask for decaf? Does your establishment not have decaf?

Here in the hospital it’s the other way round. They say it contains coffeine but it’s actually decaf.

I was surprised to find out how many fast food joints do this. Because they sell so little decaf they just make regular because the pot of decaf sits there and gets a burnt flavor so they make a new pot and the same thing happens. So they just start making regular and selling it as decaf. In the mornings it;s different. They sell more so they can keep both going but if decaf is ordered in the afternoon people are going to get regular coffee. I disapprove of this as some people ( heart disease, high blood pressure, allergic) shouldn't have caffeine at all. It's a shady and dishonest practice that McDonalds uses. Years ago when I worked there I would tell customers we just didn't have any as opposed to giving them a cup of regular.

Most would just say okay, I'll have the regular but others would decline. Those were probably the ones that just didn't want the caffeine to keep them up or something. The ones that would decline the regular were probably people that had medical conditions that would get worse with the caffeine.

I mean one cup probably wouldn't do much harm but it's still a shady practice.How hard is it to keep a fresh carafe of decaf available. So what if you have to throw some down the drain here and there.
Exactly. It's not worth the time business wise when only one customer every three hours wants decaf. Sometimes I don't have a choice. I mostly just work the drive thru sending orders and the register. My shift starts soon before the school across the street gets and all the moms and dads congest the drive thru forcing constant movement and concentration. It really sucks. If a customer asks I say "it should be" and smile.

Decaffeinated coffee still has caffeine in it but only like 5% (EDIT, my bad I thought it was higher than that, so this probably makes the following irrelevant) the amount and it may vary. She probably shouldn't drink decafe either, but I don't know her person condition, just in general. Personally, I tried to brew decafe only many occasions when I'd get the chance, but was always told not to do it.

I usually don't even make the coffees / espresso drinks, I mostly work at the drive thru entering and handing out orders and since I always work when the school right next to it gets out, it can get very congested quick from people not coming in for orders like that.

Last edited:
She was fine drinking decaf. That's still quite a big difference between the two strengths.

I dunno dude, you're asking a question about morality and then giving the impression you actually have no morals and are more concerned with pissed off customers. If people ask for decaf and you can't make it or guarantee that it's going to be, then don't lie. Tell them there is no decaf. The queue will move just as quickly.

Caffiene is super disagreeable with certain folks and can really throw your heart rate into a high gear and cause panic attacks

(If you are caff sensitive And non tolerant)

It sounds like a silly question, but it's not about me me. It's more for moral reasons. Like at my job, if a customer comes through the drive thru asking for decaffeinated coffee, I usually have to lie and say it's decaffeinated. The way I feel about it is if you have a serious reason to not have caffeine, then you should make your own coffee. Plus I don't have any reaction to caffeine, I can't tell whether I consumed caffeine or not (I never overdosed on caffeine such as taken more than a gram at a time). I don't even go through withdrawal from caffeine and I drink coffee daily unless I'm in a rush and then forget.
Just because you don't have any negative effect to caffeine doesn't mean other people don't. No, its not dangerous at those doses, unless you have a serious heart condition or something. But that doesn't mean it can't be very uncomfortable for some people. Everyone is different. I personally have a friend who gets extreme anxiety and discomfort from caffeine but likes the taste of coffee. And if she orders a decaf and gets a regular coffee it will ruin her day. If you don't serve decaf, tell your customers that, don't lie to them. Of course there's a moral problem with that.

Immoral. Person may have insomnia that night. That may not be a big deal for you, but it is a big deal for some.

Back when I worked in Fast-Food aeons ago, they had decaf coffee in single-serve packages where you would just add hot water and serve. How hard is it to do that?