• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

cactus exploration while on medication? hordenine dangerous MAOI inhibitor?

throatgorge

Bluelighter
due to stress and insomnia, I am on three medications, specifically oxcarbazepine, trazadone, and buspar. I am cautioned not to take any MAOI drugs for at least 14 days after discontinuing these drugs. I have had kava, and I read that some kavalactones are short term reversible MAOI -b inhibitors, and did not experience any harmful effects. There are a number of "peyotillos" growing in my area, and I know that most cacti contain hordenine, which is a short term reversible MAOI -A inhibitors. How dangerous is it if I were to cautiously bio-assay some of the samples I have collected?

due to stress and insomnia, I am on three medications, specifically oxcarbazepine, trazadone, and buspar. I am cautioned not to take any MAOI drugs for at least 14 days after discontinuing these drugs. I have had kava, and I read that some kavalactones are short term reversible MAOI -b inhibitors, and did not experience any harmful effects. There are a number of "peyotillos" growing in my area, and I know that most cacti contain hordenine, which is a short term reversible MAOI -A inhibitors. How dangerous is it if I were to cautiously bio-assay some of the samples I have collected?

Dude, please please please, I don't know you at all but I care enough to go into pharmacokinetic detail if you want me to (that will take me 30min of typing by the way) but the very short version is that if you don't know the exact mechanism of action of Monoamine Oxidase in the brain and what it does within post-synaptic reuptake of drugs and how it effects any biological/chemical or synthetic substance that crosses the blood-brain barrier, give yourself at least a month before trying to mix anything that could have Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitory properties.

To put it bluntly, you could die dude. Just give it 4 weeks to clear your system to be sure. You could die. Please just chillax and wait 4 weeks.

Reversible MAO inhibitors are not worth panicing over. Irreversible inhibitors of monoamine A or B (isoniazid) or high dose / strong inhibitors of both MAO A and B are the scary ones to worry about .. I recall that that selegiline (MAO-B selective) can be used in combination with dopaminergic stimulants and/or SNRIs if you pay attention to any side-effects and keep doses low.

Reversible MAO inhibitors are not worth panicing over. Irreversible inhibitors of monoamine A or B (isoniazid) or high dose / strong inhibitors of both MAO A and B are the scary ones to worry about .. I recall that that selegiline (MAO-B selective) can be used in combination with dopaminergic stimulants and/or SNRIs if you pay attention to any side-effects and keep doses low.

True but still, give it a few weeks. If the Monoamone Oxidase levels are inhibited just enough on the receiving end of the neuron and doesn't break up the chemical in question...well you know the rest.