View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Cabergoline as a nootropic?

AA357

Bluelighter
I have been doing a bit of reading on cabergoline recently. I have never taken any but I've known about it for a long time and it sounds like a really cool drug. In addition to being a powerful prolactin inhibitor and D2 agonist it appears to have nootropic and antidepressant effects (I'm not depressed but I still find this interesting). I have read several reports of increased mental focus, elevated mood and better sex from cabergoline.

Would there be any health benefits to using a low dose of cabergoline (say 0.25mg twice a week)?

Increased serum prolactin is an inherent side effect of 5HT agonism (whether by psychedelics or 5HT itself).
The only psychedelic I am aware of that has been shown to suppress prolactin - or at least leave it unchanged - is LSD (which, like cabergoline and other anti-prolactin drugs, is an ergoline).

This probably isn't something that psychedelic users tend to think about, but I think it might be worth considering the amount of time I spend under the influence of 2C-E. Another drug I take regularly (when I have it) that also increases serum prolactin is GHB.
Both GHB and (highly likely) 2C-E increase serum GH levels. GHB was popular with bodybuilders back in the 80s for this reason, however there is speculation that any benefits resulting from a rise in GH would be negated by a rise in prolactin. It seems like a prolactin inhibitor might be useful for me.

Cheers.

Last edited: