View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Buspirone & Psychedelics

PsychonautRyan

Bluelighter
I've been taking buspirone for three weeks now for social anxiety caused by my ADHD stimulants. I've tripped twice now since then, once on acid and the other time on mushrooms, I sometimes mix alcohol with acid, because the inebriation really levels out my anxiety. Even though the last time was a low dose of LSD, I definitely felt numb and disconnected throughout the experience, and it felt fairly distinct from the usual of mixing alcohol and LSD.

The second time, was with mushrooms, and I was drinking beforehand, and I smoked a heavy bowl at 2 am, and took 0.875 grams roughly (1/32 oz.) half-an-hour later, even though the visuals were much more intense with the pot, I took the second portion of mushrooms at 4 am, 1.75 grams total (1/16 oz.), so I was probably peaking when the pot and booze wore off mostly, even then at the plateau, my thoughts felt detached and dissociated from my stream of consciousness, and I felt emotionally-blunted during the experience, which was disappointing. I know that a come-down from both pot and booze probably makes me feel tired and lethargic, and the emotional-blunting effect during the mushroom trip was so disappointing I had to take 50 mg. of Benadryl to knock myself out.

Anyway, I'm wondering to what extent the buspirone may have affected my trips, or when I plan on tripping if I should not take Buspar on that given day.

Though if buspirone is a serotonin agonist wouldn't it enhance psychedelics instead of being emotionally-numbing like antipsychotics (serotonin antagonists)?

Buspirone is a partial agonist at 5ht1a, so it might be attenuating the effects of LSD and psilocybin at the site, modulating the character of their trips. This will be more likely for lower 5ht1a affinity psychedelics, so I would expect more of an interaction with mushrooms than with LSD (this is analogous to how naloxone is more effective at suppressing heroin's effects than it is at blocking out fentanyl).

ebola

So should I take a day-off from buspirone on the same day to avoid terminating the trip?

Buspirone has a really short half-life so taking a day off should be fine. Does buspirone actually help you? If so I'm surprised since I always thought the general consensus was that its a pretty crappy drug. When I was briefly prescribed it, it made my anxiety worse and gave me the worst brain fog and nausea.

So from my understanding, Buspirone (Buspar) is a 5-HT1a agonist, which stimulates this receptor. But I believe it causes those receptors to regress, and stop signaling as strongly, due to repeated stimulation by daily usage. This means that your trips may not be all that consistent until we wait for your brain to finish adapting to the medication (Which can take up to two months). Psilocybin is metabolized into psilocin, which then stimulates the 5-HT2a receptors. I do believe that Buspar has some affinity for this receptor as well, but not nearly as strong as the 5-HT1a. I started taking Buspar on 1/13/2023, and plan on growing some shrooms late next month for a harvest in March. I'll make some trip reports at varying doses to share my experience. Do not consider my future posting as advice as I am also taking Bupropion, which shouldn't in any way affect my trip, but nonetheless, it's another substance in the equation and your experiences may vary.

So from my understanding, Buspirone (Buspar) is a 5-HT1a agonist, which stimulates this receptor. But I believe it causes those receptors to regress, and stop signaling as strongly, due to repeated stimulation by daily usage. This means that your trips may not be all that consistent until we wait for your brain to finish adapting to the medication (Which can take up to two months). Psilocybin is metabolized into psilocin, which then stimulates the 5-HT2a receptors. I do believe that Buspar has some affinity for this receptor as well, but not nearly as strong as the 5-HT1a. I started taking Buspar on 1/13/2023, and plan on growing some shrooms late next month for a harvest in March. I'll make some trip reports at varying doses to share my experience. Do not consider my future posting as advice as I am also taking Bupropion, which shouldn't in any way affect my trip, but nonetheless, it's another substance in the equation and your experiences may vary.
Well, I'm interested to know because I take 15 mg of buspar in the morning. It's 6.20pm I just took a dose and a half of 🍄 in a chocolate that my friend gave me... It's been almost 2 hours and I don't feel anything I was wondering if the 15 mg that I took at 8:00 this morning interfered 🤷🏼‍♀️

Buspirone has a really short half-life so taking a day off should be fine. Does buspirone actually help you? If so I'm surprised since I always thought the general consensus was that its a pretty crappy drug. When I was briefly prescribed it, it made my anxiety worse and gave me the worst brain fog and nausea.I'm interested to know because I take 15 mg of buspar in the morning. It's 6.20pm I just took a dose and a half of 🍄 in a chocolate that my friend gave me... It's been almost 2 hours and I don't feel anything I was wondering if the 15 mg that I took at 8:00 this morning interfered 🤷🏼‍♀️

5HT1A agonists like buspirone have generally been associated with diminished psychedelic experiences. YMMV

5HT1A agonists like buspirone have generally been associated with diminished psychedelic experiences. YMMV
Will it help if I don't take that day or do I need more time off the buspar for the effects?

Will it help if I don't take that day or do I need more time off the buspar for the effects?
well the half life is short but who knows, maybe it takes a month to fully "come off" it, the same way SSRIs take weeks to start working. as usual: fuck around, find out.