• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction buspirone and serotonin syndrome?

attention_horror_621

Bluelighter
i take 5mg buspirone twice a day, ik it effects serotonin and im wondering if this could lead 2 serotonin syndrome and the like if i do other shit that day. ive done DXM while on buspirone and i was totally fine but idk. just wanna see if its something that should concern me. and if so, how long should i b off buspirone b4 i do shit like dxm?

Last edited:
It's possible. Buspirone significantly increases free serotonin in the brain.

You mean you take 5mg of buspirone?

Overall I would advise not to frequently abuse DXM or use very high doses. Even by itself it can cause psychosis or permanent damage.

But if you do, I would not take buspirone for 1-2 days before DXM. Unlike other antidepressants it clears the body relatively quickly.

It's possible. Buspirone significantly increases free serotonin in the brain.

You mean you take 5mg of buspirone?

Overall I would advise not to frequently abuse DXM or use very high doses. Even by itself it can cause psychosis or permanent damage.

But if you do, I would not take buspirone for 1-2 days before DXM. Unlike other antidepressants it clears the body relatively quickly.
woops sorry lol, definitely just 5mg XD, edit made.

thank you!!! <3

Buspirone is only a partial agonist at 5ht1a, which seems to mean that a SSRI or serotonin releaser will cause more agonism on its own than when combined with buspirone. Why I think to be certain of this is because I was prescribed buspirone while on paroxetine and all it caused were brain zaps, which are usually a marker for serotonergic withdrawal, the opposite of serotonin syndrome. I know in theory can any combination of two or more serotonergic agents cause serotonin syndrome but I'd say risk is exceedingly low for buspirone.

Doubt it, serotonin syndrome is actually pretty rare and is usually associated with MAOI use and tricylic antidepressants.

Buspirone is only a partial agonist at 5ht1a, which seems to mean that a SSRI or serotonin releaser will cause more agonism on its own than when combined with buspirone. Why I think to be certain of this is because I was prescribed buspirone while on paroxetine and all it caused were brain zaps, which are usually a marker for serotonergic withdrawal, the opposite of serotonin syndrome. I know in theory can any combination of two or more serotonergic agents cause serotonin syndrome but I'd say risk is exceedingly low for buspirone.
ok thats a relief, thank you!

Doubt it, serotonin syndrome is actually pretty rare and is usually associated with MAOI use and tricylic antidepressants.
Serotonin syndrome can happen from DXM+antidepressant, I think not in deadly strength but last time I took some DXM while being on fluoxetine certainly didn't feel healthy. I'm not sure why, possible that DXM is a slight transporter inverse agonist causing more massive outflux of serotonin than just by a transporter inhibitor like a SSRI.