Burglary

matt189

Bluelighter
What kind of charges could I expect from two accounts of burglary. Each was at a different place but I got them at the same time. Im still 17 so what can i expect?

Im also in the state of WI

Last edited:
the charges you can expect? probably burglary and breaking and entering.

As for the sentences it depends on how much was stolen, how good of a lawyer you have, and how zealous the prosecutor is.

Do you know if you are going to be charged as an adult or a minor? it could be either depending on circumstances

Burglary of a home or a business?

BTW, you have two counts of burglary not accounts. :)

Push like hell for the matter to be handled in Juv. Ct.

Get a lawyer.

I'm also from WI. You are considered an adult at 17 here so you will not be charged as a minor... trust me. are you being charged as party to the crime of burglary or where you alone in your actions? I was charged with PTC and received 6 months in jail and 5 years probation... and i wasn't even directly involved. expect to see your name in the paper... they can do that at 17 too. good luck in finding a lawyer that's better than mine was. Oh... the guy who committed the actual burglary received 2 years in prison and 10 years probation. Good luck to you... let me know if you have more questions... i only live about 30 minutes from you so there shouldn't be too much fluctuation between Washington County and here.

I hope mstrout is just trying to scare you, I really hope so. Unfortunately, I am highly doubt it. But you know what, you broke into two businesses man, bad idea. They should give a lighter sentance on a first offense, though. This is your first arrest/offense, correct? At least no previous convictions I am hoping?

yeah first offence....it was done with someone else too...i go to court in sept so we will see what happens

From the Wisconsin Sentencing Guidline Notes:

Burglary Wis. Stat. 943.10(1)

Analysis should include factors such as the harm to the individual victim, the value of
items taken or damaged, and damage to the burgled premises.

Harm to the victim is more fully described in Section I-B below, but with respect to
burglary, the court may consider specifically the type of premises burgled, and the crime
intended upon entry, if known. Burglary of a dwelling is ordinarily considered more serious than
burglary of a garage or commercial structure. This is because burglaries of dwellings ordinarily
have a stronger and longer lasting impact on the victim. Burglary of a dwelling, the purpose of
which was to steal or to assault sexually, may make the victim feel unsafe, even at home, for
many years to come. By contrast, burglary of an open garage accompanied only by the theft of
an item of small value may have little or no long-lasting effect on the victim.

Burglary of a commercial structure is often treated as less severe than of a dwelling.
However, the nature of the burglary of a commercial structure or of a garage may in some
instances cause substantial harm. For instance, the burglary of a business that was vandalized or
otherwise incapacitated from functioning may cause the business severe economic and other
consequences far beyond the value of stolen items.

Burglaries that involve a confrontation with occupants may be more traumatic to the
victim than the burglary of an unoccupied structure. The judge may consider the nature of the
confrontation, and related concepts, such as whether the confrontation was intended or
reasonably certain to occur, and the circumstances of the confrontation.

The court may also consider whether the defendant abandoned the burglary after
unlawful entry. For example, the burglar, who, upon entry, discovered that the premises were
occupied and left, may have caused less harm than the burglar who, upon discovery of the
occupants, persisted in his crime.

These factors will be taken into account, to determine the severity of your crime. The judge will then complete one of the following worksheets, to determine your sentence.

http://www.courts.state.wi.us/services/judge/docs/truthappE.pdf

You may be able to get an idea of what you might be looking at, by looking at that worksheet, however, your lawyer will be able to give you much better advice.