• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Buprenorphine blocks epsilon receptors?

DeathIndustrial88

Bluelighter
This article says buprenorphine "blocks epsilon receptors at low doses"..

This is the first time reading about this.

Anyone have any idea what actions blocking the epsilon receptor might have? Is this something people should be doing long term?

Do other opioids block this receptor?
What is it for?

I have googled but would like better layman term explanations & conversation about this in general.

What else does bupe do that is strange or unique compared to other opioids?

The closely related etorphine is an agonist of the yet to be confirmed (or yet to be cloned) epsilon opioid receptor. Buprenorphine is very similar in structure to the ultra potent etorphine but most notably with an added cyclopropyl group, which produces an effect similar to a key that has been copied almost exactly but with a little metal burr left on the side. It fits the key slot and opens the lock, but not as smoothly and effectively.

The clinical relevance of buprenorphine's antagonism of the suspected epsilon receptor hasnt been characterized im sure since the epsilon receptor hasn't been well characterized itself. Im guessing many existing opioid antagonists are also antagonists of the proposed epsilon receptor. There are a handful of suspected opioid receptors, epsilon, lambda, zeta, maybe more. None have been cloned as far as i know.

The closely related etorphine is an agonist of the yet to be confirmed (or yet to be cloned) epsilon opioid receptor. Buprenorphine is very similar in structure to the ultra potent etorphine but most notably with an added cyclopropyl group, which produces an effect similar to a key that has been copied almost exactly but with a little metal burr left on the side. It fits the key slot and opens the lock, but not as smoothly and effectively.

The clinical relevance of buprenorphine's antagonism of the suspected epsilon receptor hasnt been characterized im sure since the epsilon receptor hasn't been well characterized itself. Im guessing many existing opioid antagonists are also antagonists of the proposed epsilon receptor. There are a handful of suspected opioid receptors, epsilon, lambda, zeta, maybe more. None have been cloned as far as i know.
Wow!

I had no idea!
I wanna say I've seen or come across the epsilon receptor being mentioned before in the past, but only this time did it really make me stop and say "hmm".

That is very interesting!
This means there are still opioid receptors within us that they know nothing about how they function or interact with various opioids. That leaves a lot of room for mystery.
I wonder if they'll ever be able to clone these other receptors and study them more. It would be intriguing.

Maybe they have no clinical significance. On the other hand, I wonder if it's possible that agonism/antagonism at these receptors could affect things like our hormones or growth or in some way alter us physiologically that we do not know about, similar to how the other receptors can. I'd bet they affect the agonism at the other receptors as well possibly.

Thanks negrogesic!

Last edited:
It may be a splice varient/heteromer of the delta, kappa, or mu receptors. Epsilon agonists were not able to work in triple (delta/kappa/mu) knockout mice.

That would give a decent reason why it hasn't been cloned yet (it's not a unique gene).

The intro section to this paper is pretty good at showing the history and prior studies of the epsilon receptor (and rationale behind thinking it exists).

It may be a splice varient/heteromer of the delta, kappa, or mu receptors. Epsilon agonists were not able to work in triple (delta/kappa/mu) knockout mice.

That would give a decent reason why it hasn't been cloned yet (it's not a unique gene).

The intro section to this paper is pretty good at showing the history and prior studies of the epsilon receptor (and rationale behind thinking it exists).

Much appreciated Skorpio! ;)