• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe bupe instead of kratom

xivixive

Bluelighter
i've got way too carried away with kratom. was dosing 70+g daily, then started messing with the k-shots, which i believe to be an extract. theyre potent, but very expensive. so now the powder isnt working...my back hurts all the time and i feel like the wd's never fully go away until i take the kshot, then start up after 4 hours.

im considering going on subutex to kick it. i remember the thread awhile back where most people said that was a bad idea. but this shits gotten too miserable and expensive. ive let it get too far and its either switch totally to extracts or try to quit. i was addicted to opiates for almost 15 years so i know the extracts will just stop working one day too...

i took 600mcg bupe awhile back and i feel like it totally blocked the kratoms effects and i was dopesick the whole next day so i'm weary about this.

dont understand how kratoms super long half life leads to super quick wd, but i guess thats another question and irrelevant anyway...

so has anyone successfully made this switch? how so?

cant use any opiates illegally, for legal reasons, so cant switch to dope or pills then start sub.

Kratom has a very short half-life actually, which is why it leads to w/d so quickly. Addiction to large amounts of kratom is hell because of this fact.

However sub should work fine for kratom, in fact it will probably lead to better effect than it does for full agonists since kratom is a partial agonist like bupe. You probably need a good bit more than 600ug however, given that amount of kratom.

I know of some people switching to sub from kratom. I in fact was using kratom in the past, dosing more like 10-15g per day. 1mg sub was more than enough. Then I tapered off it. For 70g kratom I'm not sure.

Why not? It should work well but you’ll likely need to endure some sickness before you even out. I’ve had those extracts before. They are no joke!

perhaps long half life was wrong term.... i took a single 10g dose of kratom and tested positive for it from a urinalysis 15 days later!

I think subs definitely block a lot of kratoms actions. I have considered going from subs to kratom (the opposite) a few times, but every time I have tried kratom, I have gotten no effects from it. So either it is extremely weak or the leftover bupe in my system blocked it (or possibly both).

I think 1-2mg of buprenorphine may even get a kratom user pretty high and chill. When I first started subs, I was intermittently doing heroin & even then I still felt a "high" from the buprenorphine. It has it's own unique feel. But I have since lost those effects after being on it daily for 5 years.

You will not get subutex though I imagine unless you are pregnant or have proof an allergy to naloxone. Doctors don't like giving out plain bupe, at least not long term for maintenance.

You probably won't like me saying this, but getting on buprenorphine may land you with a heavier habit than a kratom one. I'm sure the withdrawals from kratom do suck if it's so short acting, but the advantage of this is that the withdrawals should be over not too long after. Of course there is always the issue of PAWS though. (Any time I have gone through opioid withdrawal and it was 'finished'.. I still did not feel normal). But if you go to bupe, which has a ridiculously long half life, you may have a harder time getting off that if you decide to one day. Although I plan to just stick to maintenance for life and technically what you're describing is still an addiction that is negatively impacting your life and finances, so subs could help with getting your life in order in that aspect. Maybe even a bupe taper could make the withdrawals easier, without actually going the maintenance route for years and years.

I think maintenance meds should be reserved for those who have accepted that they are probably going to need to opioids for the rest of their lives to function (i.e. - people who have been on full agonists for over 5 years or decades). So I would make this decision wisely and maybe entertain the idea of some alternative ways to quit your kratom habit before you commit. Comfort meds like clonodine could possibly help and it is easy to get and you won't be picking up a different habit to a much more potent opiate. The withdrawals from things like buprenorphine and methadone are much much longer lasting. People often make the false claim that bupe & methadone are for "getting off of opiates", but ironically they're both very long lasting & potent opioids themselves and are usually used long term, some times even for life. I think it's very plausible that long-term opioid dependency probably causes some changes in the body that may take years and years to heal or not heal at all. So the long lasting maitenance meds are actually just a replacement and not actually "getting off opiates". So I guess it depends on whether you're actually looking to get off off of opiates altogether or if you are a true opiate addict and have accepted it and want to remain on another opiate for quite awhile, possibly even the rest of your life. But ultimately it is your life and your decision. Best of luck either way!

Last edited: