• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

broke my stomach with advil :(

custard

Bluelighter
been having bad muscle pain at night in my arm, so bad i've been sleeping terribly. i was foolishly careless with my ibuprofen consumption over the past few days, have been taken upwards of 1200 mg in a 12 hour period.

today my stomach is a mess. it's fairly ok when not eating.. mild pain. but every time i take a bite of food it hurts like hell. trying to eat chicken soup but even struggling with that. any alternate suggestions on what to eat? hope my stomach is better tomorrow. tylenol barely helps with this kind of pain but i guess that plus tiger balm is all i can use for now.

take an antacid. tums rolaids whatever.
baking soda in some water helps too.

if isnt better soon see your doctor you could have given yourself an ulcer or gastritis.

Soup is about as light as you can get, maybe try ice cream or a milkshake. Also next time your in pain, instead of loading up on large doses of ibuprofen, take a little bit of ibuprofen, naproxen, and/or Tylenol. They can be taken together, and will reduce the risk of dosing too much.

- Hopeless Soul

:\ Yogurt is soothing for an angry tummy. So is "buttermilk" if you can tolerate the taste. You're showing classic NSAID re-belly-ion!

I've been through GBP surgery (1987) and 3 surgeries (1993-94) to remove stage 4 endometriosis. I don't "absorb" most pain meds, even though I've had genetic testing done specifically. More in question is that I have a dick for a pain doctor. He throws the big guns at my pain, which may be justified. But...He can't seem to comprehend that my GI issues only get worse.

I resort back to Toradol, Naproxen, etc. I hope you can get some relief, custard.

thanks a lot for the advice, guys.

i'm about to go to bed, and i think my stomach is feeling a bit better than earlier. ate soup and a bit of bread/cheese for dinner and didn't feel quite as painful as earlier today. yeah guess i learned my lesson the hard way. i just took 1 ibuprofen, 1 naproxen and 2 tylenols plus my regular sleeping medication. probably will be in more muscle pain tonight but hopefully stomach will be better tomorrow.

anyone know anything about a longer lasting topical anti-inflammatory? i sometimes use tiger balm and it's very good at immediate pain relief with zero side effects but only lasts about 30-60 minutes. saw on the internet there is ibuprofen gel but never tried it. open to any herbal suggestions too, such as something like tiger balm.

you can try voltaren gel. i use that sometimes and it works.

also taking naproxen and ibuprofen together is not recommend. alternate them 6-12 hours apart.

Compared to what some people take, that is a fairly small dose, you must be sensitive to at least one of them.

If it's muscle pain, icy hot works well.

- HS

I have ulcers/gastritis. Whenever my stomach isn't feeling well I get nauseated when I eat certain things more than others. You may want to try just plain steamed rice. It helps to get something on your stomach, and that is generally pretty gentle.

:) Hey custard...Hope your tummy is feeling better. I second the "don't take Advil and Aleve together".

PLEASE get some yogurt. I promise it will be healing for gastric issues. MBC's steamed rice is a good suggestion, too, if you can digest it. I have problems with grains due to mine.

Voltaren gel (prescription) is good stuff for inflammation, as is the pill form. Of course, the pill form puts you back in "angry tummy" mode if you're not careful. Arthrotec is a "coated" form of diclofenac. I would suggest you refrain from NSAIDS for a few days if possible.

If it's muscle pain, would a muscle relaxer be more helpful? The usual modalities of topicals, massage, heat/ice, stretching in a hot shower, and TENS if you have it.

Feel better!

Hey custard, don't take any aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen at all for at least a week. If you need to take something OTC for pain make it acetaminophen (Tylenol). In the future, never take more than 600 mg ibuprofen or 200 mg naproxen at one time and always take them with food. Never mix ibuprofen and naproxen. Milk and dairy products are good for upset stomach, and you can also take OTC drugs like omeprazole (Prilosec) or famotidine (Pepcid) to help your stomach. You can take them with a dose of NSAID too and they'll help prevent stomach irritation caused by NSAID use.

hi everyone. thanks again for your informative and comforting words.

my stomach is mostly better but is still very short-tempered. i seem to be able to eat anything now, (ate curry today and passed the test) but i still need to eat really slowly or i get bouts of pain. spaceface i am taking your advice. tonight i won't be taking any more painkillers. sadly the tylenol does nothing for this type of pain (tightness/inflammation)

i am still struggling though with this left shoulder pain a lot; it's the worst it's been in a really long time and i can barely move my arm in certain ways without severe pain. i got another cortisone injection yesterday, and it seemed to help but today it is really bad again. maybe it will take more time to take full effect. my job involves physical labor (cleaner) which i know is adding to the physical stress but i am just going to have to try and move/work more mindfully.

does anyone know of any effective herbal anti inflammatories? i can't take pharmaceuticals right now because of my stomach. i hope the cortisone works more over time.. but i am just feeling desperate i need to sleep and it's very hard when my shoulder pain wakes me up a lot. tiger balm works well, but it only lasts about 2 hours. i am also using heating pads but this is also short-term relief. if anyone knows of an herbal capsule or pill with anti inflammatory properties that could last overnight, or anything that would help overnight without side effects, that would be so helpful. someone suggested arnica to me, and i was also considering trying to take one of the active ingredients in tiger balm orally. camphor is apparently toxic orally, but i wonder if a 'mint capsule' would help (the second active ingredient.) open to any suggestions.

thanks, i am going to pick up some soon.

--

is it normal that my stomach is still hurting when i eat? it doesn't hurt as severely as at first, but it's been a few days and it doesn't seem to be getting better.

Tylenol will have the same effect as Advil on your stomach and pain I'm pretty sure I wouldn't take that

I would check out capsaicin cream. It does a couple of things, it kinda burns like spicy food but on your skin, which distracts from the pain sensation, and it induces release of natural opioids in your body to help kill pain. For oral and herbal anti-inflammatory stuff, check out curcumin supplements (turmeric extract), there are some good ones available online especially the "liposomal" formulations which are much better absorbed. The curcumin might irritate your stomach though, so look into that before you try it. Another option is taking a high quality fish oil supplement containing a high dose of omega-3 fatty acids. Your body makes inflammatory chemicals from lipids and they have a different 'potency' depending on the kind of lipid/fatty acid they're made from. If you get a big daily dose of omega-3's it will use those and they make a weaker, less inflammatory chemical that can (possibly) result in less inflammation and pain overall.

hi everyone. thanks again for your informative and comforting words.

my stomach is mostly better but is still very short-tempered. i seem to be able to eat anything now, (ate curry today and passed the test) but i still need to eat really slowly or i get bouts of pain. spaceface i am taking your advice. tonight i won't be taking any more painkillers. sadly the tylenol does nothing for this type of pain (tightness/inflammation)

i am still struggling though with this left shoulder pain a lot; it's the worst it's been in a really long time and i can barely move my arm in certain ways without severe pain. i got another cortisone injection yesterday, and it seemed to help but today it is really bad again. maybe it will take more time to take full effect. my job involves physical labor (cleaner) which i know is adding to the physical stress but i am just going to have to try and move/work more mindfully.

does anyone know of any effective herbal anti inflammatories? i can't take pharmaceuticals right now because of my stomach. i hope the cortisone works more over time.. but i am just feeling desperate i need to sleep and it's very hard when my shoulder pain wakes me up a lot. tiger balm works well, but it only lasts about 2 hours. i am also using heating pads but this is also short-term relief. if anyone knows of an herbal capsule or pill with anti inflammatory properties that could last overnight, or anything that would help overnight without side effects, that would be so helpful. someone suggested arnica to me, and i was also considering trying to take one of the active ingredients in tiger balm orally. camphor is apparently toxic orally, but i wonder if a 'mint capsule' would help (the second active ingredient.) open to any suggestions.

I have a recommendation for a natural anti-inflammatory - fresh ginger. Do a quick google on it, it's honestly one of natures wonders.
I used it to help with pain and swelling of my feet, post op, and I also have a friend who "juices" and uses ginger as one of the ingredients, to help treat her fibroid myalgia symptoms. She used it through chemo as well. She swears by it.

Easy way to prep: make a batch of ginger water.
Measure out your water into a pot. I store mine in a plastic 2 liter pitcher, so I measure with that, and I add an extra cup of water since you will have evaporation.
Chunk off about 2-3 inches of fresh ginger, and cut into smaller chunks. Add to the water, cover, bring to a boil, and simmer on LOW for 20-30 minutes.

Cool, scoop out or strain out ginger, and store in the refrigerator.

I like to microwave a cup, add sweetener, and drink it like tea.
It's pretty spicy and strong, I hated it at first, but now I find it very soothing.
Have a cup 2-3 times a day. More if you like it, it's just ginger.

This will be great for your tummy, too....

If you try it, let me know how it works for you! Hope it helps!