• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

British meth smuggler (ex-cop) gets 14 years (Indonesia)

StoneHappyMonday

Bluelighter
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25839079

A British woman who smuggled 1.4kg (3lb) of crystal methamphetamine into Indonesia has been sentenced to 14 years in prison.

Former PCSO Andrea Waldeck, 43, from Gloucestershire, was found guilty of smuggling and also fined £100,000.

Her lawyer previously told the court she was "a victim" of a drugs gang.

Waldeck, who is originally from Talgarth in Powys, had faced a possible death sentence after being arrested at a hotel in East Java in April.

Last year, she told a court in Surabaya city that she had been coerced into carrying the drugs from China.

Police found the drugs hidden in her underwear in black bags, the court heard.

Indonesia has some of the toughest anti-drug laws in the world but death sentences are rarely carried out.

All sympathy drained away when I saw the PCSO bit. They are kind of like pretend cops in the UK, police assistants. They patrol the streets hassling kids but don't have any powers.

14 years and 100,000 pounds.. Ouch

I wonder how a former PCSO got mixed up in that kind of thing.

Silly silly.

_72441733_72441732.jpg

Andrea Waldeck (right) was said to have looked tense in the hearing

"An Indonesian national who's connected to her case received a 10-year sentence last week. So we were hoping for the same sentence."

A decision is yet to be taken about whether the sentence will be appealed, he added.

The BBC's South East Asia producer, Alice Budisatrijo, said an appeal could be risky as the Indonesian justice system was quite unpredictable.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

I don't believe that she is a criminal. When she worked in the parish, she was always industrious and keen - I certainly had no complaints.”

Stuart Fowler
Chairman, Up Hatherley Parish Council
"In some cases, especially drug-related cases, the higher court gives a harsher sentence than the lower court, so they [Waldeck and lawyer] need to really think about what sort of evidence they can present if they decide to appeal," she said.

Ms Budisatrijo, who was in court for the sentencing, added it was unclear where Waldeck would serve her sentence.

"In general, the Indonesian prison is known for its overcrowding and poor sanitary conditions," Ms Budisatrijo said.

"Fights between inmates often take place and there is a shortage of prison guards to maintain order.

"There has also been reports of corrupt practices of prison guards taking bribes in exchange for better living conditions for the inmates.

"And so those who are able and willing to pay can often get a rather lavish facility, but for those who don't things can really get quite rough."

Gloucestershire Police confirmed Waldeck worked for them as a police support worker until February 2012.

The chairman of Up Hatherley Parish Council, near Cheltenham, said he submitted a witness statement to the Indonesian court last year.

"I wrote a witness statement in her defence last year about her work within the parish, most especially with young people," said Stuart Fowler.

"It would be good if she could serve it back in her own country.

"I don't believe that she is a criminal. When she worked in the parish, she was always industrious and keen - I certainly had no complaints."

She picked a terrible place to get caught. She lucky she didn't get death although I imagine living in an Indonesian prison is pretty awful And very corrupt.

Waldeck, who is originally from Talgarth in Powys, had faced a possible death sentence after being arrested at a hotel in East Java in April.

A British woman who smuggled 1.4kg (3lb) of crystal methamphetamine into Indonesia has been sentenced to 14 years in prison.

3lbs is quite a bit to be smuggling. Its strange to me how targeted by drug gangs has become the new go to plea for anyone caught smuggling.
makes you wonder but with the amount of money there is to be made it makes me think they knew exactly what was going on when they were caught with the meth.
tragic the war on drugs causes so many to face the hard ships of life in jails/ prison and as convicted criminals.

Schapelle Corby (an Aussie) got caught with 4 kg's of hydro and got 20 years, altho I rekon she didn't do it personally, as why would you smuggle hydro from Aus to Indo when it goes for lots more in Aus anyway. Not worth it. There was lots of talk it was corrupt baggage handlers at Bris airport who used her bodyboard and cover to hide it in and it was supposed to be pulled out when she got to Syd airport before she left for Indo, but they didnt get time to remove it, so she possibly unwittingly took it to indo and they found it there. Who the fuck would seriously be stupid enough to risk taking 4 kg's of pot to Bali (indo) when it's so obvious and smelly and they are so strict on weed in Bali, you can use magic mushrooms there legally, but a few grams of weed or hash can get you jail time.

She has also never admitted guilt even tho it would have got her more reductions on her sentence - she has got quite a few reductions for good behaviour and other things, and I rekon they are letting her out soon because they all know she didnt do it, she is apparently getting out soon and its been 11 years or something, I'd have to look it up on wiki to get the exact dates, but yeah, that place so so fucking corrupt its not funny, they did the worst job on her case and investigating it.

And Aus government didnt help much with CCTV from the airports and where they sort the bags mysteriously getting lost and all sorts of other stuff.

But yeah Schapelle has apparently got mental problems from her time in that shitty kerobikan jail or whatever its called, it would be a nightmare to spend 1 year in there, i cant image 11 or 14 or anything like that.

Those dungeons are like something out of Dante's Inferno; seriously bad places to be, and sure as hell not good for mental health. A 10 year sentence in an Indonesian jail may as well be a hundred years-that's what you call "hard time".

Shit, I feel sorry for the woman, and even if she was guilty of the crime, I still would.

Yeah, she aint bad looking either..

This article is only from a few days ago and doesnt seem to have been posted, not related to Schapelle, or the woman in this article, but it's Bali and more meth, so I'll just post it here, mods can move it if they wont. I did a search for the guys name and for bali and couldnt see it, so here it is.

Frenchman may face death for smuggling crystal meth into Bali

5209852-3x2-940x627.jpg

A Frenchman has been arrested for trying to smuggle more than $500,000 worth of crystal methamphetamine into the Indonesian resort island of Bali.

Francois Giuily, 48, was detained on Sunday at Bali airport with more than three kilograms of the drug hidden in plastic bags in his suitcase lining.

Airport customs chief I Made Wijaya says the drugs have a street value of $US511,280.

Giuily could face the death penalty under Indonesia's tough anti-narcotics laws as well as a 10 billion rupiah ($830,000) fine.

Several foreign nationals are on death row for drug-related offences in Indonesia.

British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford was sentenced to death in January last year after being found with $2.4 million worth of cocaine in her luggage as she arrived in Bali.

Rare early release

The latest arrest comes as another French national, Michael Blanc, was freed Monday on parole from an Indonesian jail more than 14 years after he was caught smuggling drugs into Bali.

Blanc had been imprisoned in a jail in the south of the Indonesian capital Jakarta.

He was arrested the day after Christmas in 1999 at Bali airport with 3.8 kilograms of hash hidden in diving canisters.

The 40-year-old, who has always maintained his innocence, was originally given a life sentence under Indonesia's tough anti-drugs laws, which provoked outrage in his native France.

Blanc's sentence was cut to 20 years and he received several remissions.

Following a lengthy battle with Indonesia's complex legal system, he finally succeeded in being granted parole, which is rare for a foreign prisoner.

Under the conditions of Blanc's parole, he must remain in Indonesia until the end of his sentence in July, 2017.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-21/an-frenchman-may-face-death-for-bali-drugs-smuggling/5209856

Wow, to actually put somebody to death for smuggling drugs...it's just defies belief and all rationality. If it was Thailand, it's almost certain he'd get death; they do not like drug dealers, and they sure as hell don't like meth there. One thing I don't get about the 2 stories I've seen on this this thread, is why smuggle drugs into Indonesia, of all places? I'm pretty sure it's got a far weaker economy than here in the West; the wholesale price for meth is bound to be lower. It just seems a strange place smuggle drugs into.

I think some of it is possibly destined to come to Aus, like that British lady with the cocaine and some of these guys with the meth, some might stay in Indo, but I bet some of it goes to Aus or NZ where they can get more money for it and there would be more buyers with serious money.

I dont know tho really. I have been to Bali 4 times, it's pretty nice there and the magic mushrooms and awesome, you can buy them in bars and they will make you up shroom milkshakes and stuff, we tripped so hard. Funny hey, shrooms are legal but even small amounts of weed can get you in serious trouble (unless you can bribe your way out if caught).

I've considered in the past going there for tourism, and it sounds like a good place. Had no idea shrooms were legal there, though. They were here in the UK a while back; used to be able to just get a big tray from certain shops. I remember scoring a big bag from Chinatown years back, getting high with my gf and tripping out on the underground. Those were the days.

There's very little in the way of meth here, in fact it's pretty much a rarity; is there quite a big market for it in OZ? (I remember reading some book about biker gangs I think, and they were manufacturing the drug there).

Yeah we've had meth (speed, powder and glug) here for along time and it was apparently made and moved by the bikies alot. Back 20 years ago that's all there was at raves, meth that was powder or glug, but these days there is lots of crystal meth (ice) and apparently it's done by many different types of people, it's either imported or made here, maybe still the bikies as well but people like the asians and some aussies and other races as well I'd imagine.

Loads of people are smoking ice (crystal) and injecting it, it's a bit of a problem, as it's so expensive and so addictive, alot more so that the old powder or glug speed.

Damn only 14 years Iv'e heard of people in Indonesia getting more than that for tiny personal amounts of drugs.

Yeah we've had meth (speed, powder and glug) here for along time and it was apparently made and moved by the bikies alot. Back 20 years ago that's all there was at raves, meth that was powder or glug, but these days there is lots of crystal meth (ice) and apparently it's done by many different types of people, it's either imported or made here, maybe still the bikies as well but people like the asians and some aussies and other races as well I'd imagine.

Loads of people are smoking ice (crystal) and injecting it, it's a bit of a problem, as it's so expensive and so addictive, alot more so that the old powder or glug speed.

I'm pretty sure OZ is dependent on foreign imports for the precursor chemicals, though I may be wrong there. As for speed in the UK: terrible. Meth is a rarity here, almost unheard of, and in my town, the only speed available is badly synthesised base speed. (The yellow gunky stuff that reeks of chemicals), although it's very cheap on the gram. The only decent speed I've ever brought was a one-off: a fluffy white powder, 250 mgs kept me up for 12 hours. With base speed, I need to bomb the whole gram to get effects like that; probably the reason I haven't used amphetamines for years.

What's glug btw? Never heard of it before.

I'm pretty sure OZ is dependent on foreign imports for the precursor chemicals, though I may be wrong there. As for speed in the UK: terrible. Meth is a rarity here, almost unheard of, and in my town, the only speed available is badly synthesised base speed. (The yellow gunky stuff that reeks of chemicals), although it's very cheap on the gram. The only decent speed I've ever brought was a one-off: a fluffy white powder, 250 mgs kept me up for 12 hours. With base speed, I need to bomb the whole gram to get effects like that; probably the reason I haven't used amphetamines for years.

What's glug btw? Never heard of it before.

Yeah, Aus imports just about everything, even some fruit and other foods that we grow here, it's stupid, but that's just how it is.

As for glug, it's probably similar to what you referred to as base or gunk. So you don't get crystal meth there? That seems so odd, most major places in the world have crystal these days don't they?

I havent used to any sort of meth in over 15 odd years now. Unless there was some in some of the pills I had a few years ago. Some of my old mates use crystal meth. But I wouldnt touch it, not into it, too expensive and too addictive for me these days.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's really strange-you've got this highly potent and addictive drug that people seem to be going crazy for, and yet it hasn't made it here at all. IMO the problems supply not demand; I think the UK would go mad for this drug, but it's just not being imported or manufactured on a large scale. I don't see why not- we're a pretty significant market for drugs here.

Because speed in the UK is basically glucose and has been for years (unless you know a nice Dutchman). The thought of the UK going mad for meth as a step up from glucose...would make the mephedrone "epidemic" of 2009 look like a model of moderation and sanity.

Meth is expensive too. The glucose student market pays what? £10 a g at the most? That's why mephedrone became popular because it was legal and cheap. You've got to make these same people pay up to £100 a g for meth. Maybe the demand isn't really as big as we all assume.

Wow, £100 a gram? Shit, I always thought meth was a very cheap drug; that's almost twice the price of cocaine. Still, when it comes to drugs, people are always willing to pay good money for the big highs-I could see meth taking off, just for its sheer potency and euphoria, but at those prices, it's likely to be a "rich mans high". Unless the standard deals 0.2 of a gram, as in heroin? In which case, I could see it taking off big time among the clubbing crowd. Also, I could see the crack smokers going mad for this; a 12 hour plus high is gonna beat a 40 minute rush hands down.

Yeah people buy points alot, .1, .2 etc. Cos it's so damn potent. And yes I imagine crack smokers would love it, longer lasting high etc. Crack has never been popular or available here in Aus, unless you make it yourself and even then it's not really worth doing that because of the high price of coke and the general low purity.

There's a fair bit of cocaine that goes around the clubs and richer circles here, but it's not much of a rave drug, well it wasnt much when I was going to them ages ago anyway.

Down here, the coke is dirt, I mean average purity is like 20%, so buying coke here is just a big waste. And the amphetamine may be real cheap, but it's also garbage tbh; I'm actually quite puzzled why meth never made it here-it's a bit of a mystery. Maybe customs are shit hot at nabbing all imports, lack of local technical knowledge to produce the stuff, or maybe the big time international players simply don't see the UK as a big enough market...could be anything, really, but it's still pretty strange.