• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Brief question: when do withdrawals start with OxyContin

bluesteyes

Bluelighter
Based on your experience, how long after the 12 hour period do you start to go into heavy withdrawals due to a lack of OxyContin in your system??

The reason I ask is this....like some other people, I only find that this medication works (meaning = pain relief) for 8 to 9 hours. I was thinking about taking my first dose at, say, 7am, and then my second dose at 4pm. The 12 hour period would end at 4am, but I will be sleeping for a few hours until I take my next dose. I read somewhere that it takes 24 hours after your last OxyContin dose to run into withdrawal symptoms, but this seems like an awfully long time.

Thanks for your input.

Usually the first stage of wd symptoms from oxycodone begin after 24 hours from your last dose. The symptoms in the frist stage include, teary eyes, runny nose, excess yawning, lethargy, and muscle aches. However the more severe second and third stages usually don't begin until 36-48 hours after your last dose.

Based on your experience, how long after the 12 hour period do you start to go into heavy withdrawals due to a lack of OxyContin in your system??

The reason I ask is this....like some other people, I only find that this medication works (meaning = pain relief) for 8 to 9 hours. I was thinking about taking my first dose at, say, 7am, and then my second dose at 4pm. The 12 hour period would end at 4am, but I will be sleeping for a few hours until I take my next dose. I read somewhere that it takes 24 hours after your last OxyContin dose to run into withdrawal symptoms, but this seems like an awfully long time.

Thanks for your input.

Personally I don't buy the 24 hour thing because when I was on them way back when I usually knew when it had been 8 - 9 hours because I'd start yawning and tearing up. As soon as I redosed, bam all symptoms of WD disappeared. It was a beautiful thing! However, it may take a little longer to start the real nasty WD effects. Like having to run to the bathroom. OxyContin WD is no joke! I had to go on forced WD years ago from a nearly 400mg a day regiment. It literally took weeks for me to even think about being normal. Seriously good luck though!

The shorter the half life of the opiate the faster it takes to feel withdrawal, with oxy I wouldn't be surprised if you felt beginning withdrawals even after 8 hours. In my experience, whether it was mental or not in my case, it was uncomfortable enough