• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Breaks from ADHD medications.

Limited

Greenlighter
For those of you prescribed (lol) to ADHD medications, there have to be times when you take breaks from them.

How does it affect your productivity and how do you maintain your productivity? Seems easier if taken as prescribed, but what if taking at higher doses?

Please specify which category you fall under too, and the medication, and dose preferably.

I have stopped adderall before and lost a ton of productivity. Strattera does not do the trick. Caffeine pills stop working after a few days.

Pretty much lie in bed doing nothing all day for a LONG time (more than a week).

Depends on what you are taking IMO, the only ADHD med that you can stop and start again to reduce tolerance without having too much problem is Methylphenidate, because strattera is more of a long term med, and Adderall works by forcing your brain to depletes its neurotransmitters making you litterally empty of neuron fuel when you stop using it. I have not tried strattera yet, but tried Adderall and Concerta and can tell you that stoping Adderall gives an evident down, but concerta not so much, in fact I am in a break right now and didnt really feel the difference other than I tend to think less and do more.

Hey there Limited, I'm going to leave this open for now, but in the future, could you please gear your threads to the concept of Harm Reduction? Your posts should be centered around how to go about using a particular drug in a safe manner and this doesn't qualify.

I limit my use to 20mg a day 1 to 2 times a week although I'm prescribed 20mg everyday. But I know if I took that my tolerance would skyrocket and I would be taking 40mg then 60mg daily in no time with harsh come downs. (Adderall)

This keeps me somewhat motivated on my off days, but usually I just try and keep going to the gym and eating right and it helps tremendously with the "lack of motivation" issue.

Meds aren't a cure all and have negative consequences, sometimes you just have to push through those tough days and rough it out.