• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Bouts of anger while on Suboxone

Ukraine’s Finest

Greenlighter
Hello guys. New here but love the forums; I feel like I can be myself here. Anyways, I had a quick question: have any of you began to experience bouts of anger while taking Subs? It wasn’t a problem until I was on it for a couple of months and then I started noticing just this “rage” that would set it and I hate it. Im not an angry person..... I feel like Suboxone in general is a good drug to be on for maybe a year or so and then things start going downhill in terms of mental side effects. Im now on less than 1mg a day but still feel like this stuff is just poisoning my mind and I cant wait to get off completely. Anyone else feel or has felt this way? Thanks a lot.

Weird, it is the first time for me to hear of this effect but everybody is different of course. Buprenorphine is pretty unique in that it blocks kappa opioid receptors, which is generally seen as a good thing but always some people have paradox effects.. I got strange physical side effects from subutex, like difficulty to urinate, which also apparently nobody else gets. But chances are that you will find somebody here!

Do you get the problems all day long or specifically the first 1-2 hours after taking the subuxone?

Welcome on board btw :)

Weird, it is the first time for me to hear of this effect but everybody is different of course. Buprenorphine is pretty unique in that it blocks kappa opioid receptors, which is generally seen as a good thing but always some people have paradox effects.. I got strange physical side effects from subutex, like difficulty to urinate, which also apparently nobody else gets. But chances are that you will find somebody here!

Do you get the problems all day long or specifically the first 1-2 hours after taking the subuxone?

Thanks for the reply. It comes and goes; seems pretty random. One thing I noticed is if I take any sort of stimulant, like coffee, it can trigger that anger.

Interesting that you would say difficulty urinating is considered rare as a side effect. I experience that side effect myself. I was under the impression that it was a very common side effect? The difficulty in urinating being particularly prevalent among males as opposed to females. I'm saying all this anecdotally BTW. I don't recall seeing any studies or literature related to it (though such literature may exist). Also the side effect of anger / irritability is also something that I was under the impression was relatively common as well? Again this is for opioids in general as opposed to Suboxone specifically however it applies. At any rate you're definitely not the only one who suffers from the side effect of difficulty urinating while taking buprenorphine. Sadly enough it would appear there are a good number of us that have to deal with it. :\

Either way I would respond to the question posed by the op that in my anecdotal experience the side effect mentioned is quite common to the best of my knowledge. IIRC I've seen plenty of posts regarding irritability induced by opioid usage. In my own personal experience I have experienced both side effects that have been mentioned from various opioids but Suboxone in particular as well. I currently take Suboxone twice daily as a make do form of pain relief & would agree that it can make me more irritable. I found that I had the most issues with that when I first made the switch from full agonists which is to be expected. Though I've been using it in this way for approximately 8 months which is under the year timeline that you speak of I figured I'd add what I could in regards to your question. I've found the opposite in my case in that the mental effects have lessened as time has passed however. Regardless to answer your question as to if others have felt in a similar manner I would say that yes I do at times feel the way you are referring to & have experienced what you speak of.

Welcome to Bluelight as well BTW. I hope you are able to find answers to any questions you may have & that you enjoy your stay. :)

Last edited:
Interesting that you would say difficulty urinating is considered rare as a side effect. I experience that side effect myself. I was under the impression that it was a very common side effect? The difficulty in urinating being particularly prevalent among males as opposed to females. I'm saying all this anecdotally BTW. I don't recall seeing any studies or literature related to it (though such literature may exist). Also the side effect of anger / irritability is also something that I was under the impression was relatively common as well? Again this is for opioids in general as opposed to Suboxone specifically however it applies. At any rate you're definitely not the only one who suffers from the side effect of difficulty urinating while taking buprenorphine. Sadly enough it would appear there are a good number of us that have to deal with it. :\
I just based on that the leaflet didn't mention it and it felt like anticholinergic effects because I had some others, bit dry mouth, inorgasmia, etc. and found nothing about. Google says that difficulty to pee indeed is common but also suggest it's caused by mu agonism which is definitely wrong as stronger opioids don't cause it.

Urinary hesitancy is a known side effect of buprenorphine due to the agonism at the mu opioid receptor leading to detrusor and urinary sphincter muscle contraction. However, this side effect is often under reported and may go untreated. Source

Hello guys. New here but love the forums; I feel like I can be myself here. Anyways, I had a quick question: have any of you began to experience bouts of anger while taking Subs? It wasn’t a problem until I was on it for a couple of months and then I started noticing just this “rage” that would set it and I hate it. Im not an angry person..... I feel like Suboxone in general is a good drug to be on for maybe a year or so and then things start going downhill in terms of mental side effects. Im now on less than 1mg a day but still feel like this stuff is just poisoning my mind and I cant wait to get off completely. Anyone else feel or has felt this way? Thanks a lot.

Different people react to different meds differently. I took ONE 350mg Carisoprodol (Soma) once and went into a terrifying, uncontrollable rage, smashing up tables and chairs and stuff. I NEVER get angry like that normally. It was horrible because it was so out of character and I've never lost control like that before or since (obviously that was the one and only time I took the stuff).
Also, codeine gives me HORRENDOUS diarrhoea.

LOL oh my god I was just wondering about that. I've had the same thing happen recently. It didn't happen until about day 4-5 of using it. I experienced the same on opioids in general.

There's some sort of a physical crash that must go on within the brain when dealing with artificial endorphins. They're supposed to put you into a great mood but I've gotten irritated highs before for sure.

Either way I would respond to the question posed by the op that in my anecdotal experience the side effect mentioned is quite common to the best of my knowledge. IIRC I've seen plenty of posts regarding irritability induced by opioid usage. In my own personal experience I have experienced both side effects that have been mentioned from various opioids but Suboxone in particular as well. I currently take Suboxone twice daily as a make do form of pain relief & would agree that it can make me more irritable. I found that I had the most issues with that when I first made the switch from full agonists which is to be expected. Though I've been using it in this way for approximately 8 months which is under the year timeline that you speak of I figured I'd add what I could in regards to your question. I've found the opposite in my case in that the mental effects have lessened as time has passed however. Regardless to answer your question as to if others have felt in a similar manner I would say that yes I do at times feel the way you are referring to & have experienced what you speak of.

Welcome to Bluelight as well BTW. I hope you are able to find answers to any questions you may have & that you enjoy your stay. :)
Thanks a lot. Makes me feel a lot better knowing others feel or have felt the same. Im guessing anxiety is something pretty common also? I dono, I love taking it for the first 8 months or so but then I just starting feeling bad on. Im at less than a 1mg soon and hopefully will be off this stuff.

Different people react to different meds differently. I took ONE 350mg Carisoprodol (Soma) once and went into a terrifying, uncontrollable rage, smashing up tables and chairs and stuff. I NEVER get angry like that normally. It was horrible because it was so out of character and I've never lost control like that before or since (obviously that was the one and only time I took the stuff).
Yea Im thinking maybe its just me being tired of being on meds period. I dono about you, but after a decade of taking stuff you start to lose of who you even are. Its like, am I feeling and acting like that because thats truly me, or is it the drugs? Its like Im starting to lose my identity and I think Im getting fed up with it. Used to always be fun and I thought Id just live my life on Subs but something has changed in me and Im just tired of it. Not fun anymore. After a decade, lmao.

G
LOL oh my god I was just wondering about that. I've had the same thing happen recently. It didn't happen until about day 4-5 of using it. I experienced the same on opioids in general.

There's some sort of a physical crash that must go on within the brain when dealing with artificial endorphins. They're supposed to put you into a great mood but I've gotten irritated highs before for sure.
Glad Im not the only one. Thanks for the reply

its hard for me to pee too! Crazy faces I be making.

Thanks a lot. Makes me feel a lot better knowing others feel or have felt the same. Im guessing anxiety is something pretty common also? I dono, I love taking it for the first 8 months or so but then I just starting feeling bad on. Im at less than a 1mg soon and hopefully will be off this stuff.

I'm glad we're able to help. :)

I would assume anxiety could also occur. Again in my case that symptom was something I experienced early with Suboxone but has subsided with time. Apparently we're opposites in that regard but none the less it is an effect that I would say can occur.

Your right in that people react very differently & strange reactiosn can & do occur. People vary drastically in there responses to medications. In my case I have a paradoxical reaction to lorazepam. I totally lose my shit & get super aggressive & violent which is totally out of character for me & quite the opposite of the medications intended effect. The responses one can have to a substance can be quite drastic & varied indeed! :\

I just based on that the leaflet didn't mention it and it felt like anticholinergic effects because I had some others, bit dry mouth, inorgasmia, etc. and found nothing about. Google says that difficulty to pee indeed is common but also suggest it's caused by mu agonism which is definitely wrong as stronger opioids don't cause it.
its hard for me to pee too! Crazy faces I be making.

Indeed. My apologies for digressing from the op a bit but I'm curious though that you say stronger opioids don't cause it? I have found stronger opioids to in my case at least cause it considerably worse! In fact in my case the degree of urinary retention seems to be quite proportional to the strength of the opioid in most cases. At times it's been bad enough to ruin the opioid experience. At times I've had to discontinue my consumption & wait it out just to be able to urinate at all. In the worst cases I've been forced to seek medical attention. :(

I had thought it was just me as I do have some difficulty urinating in general but I ended up asking around & based on replies it was quite common. Again that's just anecdotal evidence but the literature seems to support it. You did mention the hesitancy as well as a source so perhaps I'm just misunderstanding your reply? :unsure:

I'm under the impression that the understanding of urinary retention induced by opioids is somewhat under studied but this Intrathecal Opioids and Lower Urinary Tract Function: A Urodynamic Evaluation might be of interest. Be it anticholinergenic effects or a myriad of other factors including detrusor contractility the study linked appears to indicate a dose dependent urinary response. I haven't taken the time to read the whole paper but from what I've read of it; it seems to mostly implicate dose dependent suppression of detrusor contractility as well as effects on the sphincter muscle in terms of urinary issues. Either way from personal experience I've found it to be accurate that opioids can cause urinary retention in a dose dependent fashion. I'm someone that like some patients mentioned in the study have needed to resort to having to be catheterized. I've also run into issues as a result of residual urine in the bladder post void due to urinary retention induced by opioids. Though anecdotal evidence is just that but from personal experience I'm inclined to agree with the data presented in the study as a result.

Either way I'm starting to ramble & I don't wish to clutter the ops thread any further. I just figured I'd reply as like I mentioned I wasn't sure if I was understanding you right or not but figured either way it couldn't hurt to add additional information to the conversation. Though as I read through your post again I'm stating to think I just misread your post. Regardless I figure it never hurts to have more information regarding a subject available so I'll leave the reply. Thanks for posting the link to the source that you posted BTW. I found it to be an interesting quick read. :)

I'm out of here now though as with all this talk of urinating I just realized I really gotta go take a piss! =D

Additionally, I do think that opioids cause anxiety. In the beginning the blow anxiety out of the water, but as tolerance rises I do recall having quite a bit of anxiety in between doses. It could be anxiety caused by the thoughts of what happens to your mind/body if you run out of dosages, or just a minor barely noticeable withdrawal in between doses--but I do vouch for my claim that opiates do not help anxiety in the long run.

This anxiety could be potentially causing some small mood swings in my opinion.

I experienced waves of extreme anger every now and then when i was on subs. Sometimes i would get extremely angry over things that wouldnt normally bother me

Opiate rage is pretty common, sometimes it doesn't effect people sometimes it does, sometimes it depends on the dose, etc.

I've generally become a more short tempered person over the last year due to a worsening kratom addiction and I hate myself every minute of every day for it. I use to only get small bouts of irritation when I was nodding off, now it's all the time.

If this side effect bothers you don't let it get out of control.