• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Boiling down homemade laudanum

Felonious Monk

Bluelight Crew
Howdy,
Hoping y'all can help answer a question I had while discussing home chemistry with a friend yesterday. He grows papaver somniferum at his property and has experimented in the past with soaking pods in high proof moonshine to make homemade "laudanum" before.

He was telling me of something he tried this year--doing an alcohol extraction with the pods instead of just letting them sit. So mashing and then washing with alcohol, straining out sediment, and boiling off the alcohol (at relatively low temperatures), to be left with a sticky "shatter" type oil with a reddish hue.

What's in this substance? Is it just a mixture of the alkaloids that are present in the pods or would doing this process begin to isolate morphine or anything similar? Anything easy that can be done to make this process better?

He told me taking 1 dab of this stuff was too intense for him, but he let a friend (not me) who likes opiates try a dab and the guy was excited to trade him a whole bottle of hydrocodone for just a gram or 2 of this "opium shatter" as my friend called it (the whole batch, from 16 pods, which he said was about as big visually as a gram of BHO)

Heh, I've actually boiled opium tincture as well, and also stumbled upon this doughy (brown tho) stuff. It's probably just plant stuff full of the whole of poppy alkaloids.

Personally I'm not sure if there's anything to improve here in this procedure at all lol. To me opium is infinitely better than morphine, for some unexpected reason. Whereas a quantity of opium containing 45mg of morphine (pharmacy stuff) gets me properly high (no opie T) for ~2hs, 30mg of pure morphine IV has got me feeling nilch (?!!), just a two second rush then nothing but pinpoint pupils — go figure, I was only able to get high off of pharm morphine alone once IIRC.

In any case, if nobody pops up and tells you how to proceed to extract morphine from this, you can def find info on Google. It should be akin to a DMT extraction. IIRC a rough sketch of the usual procedure is smth like dissolve poppy in hot water, add calcium OH (Googling "calcium morphenate" gives a bunch of BL hits btw) while watching pH closely, then NH4Cl, morphine precipitates out as freebase...

It's just alcohol extracted opium, effectively. By no means is it pure alkaloids but it does contain a concentrate of the active parts of the plant.

Even if you got something with ~10% morphine by weight, it would put the opioid-naive on their asses when smoked :)

Laudanum is one of my fave mixtures of chemicals, I had a bottle of wine with about .5-6 of opium dissolved in it a few years ago and I highly enjoyed my time on it, I had the opium by itself but combined/dissolved in alcohol is like taking a step up with its pleasurableness