Open Discussion Bluelight Business Card

Damien

Bluelight Crew
Hey, this is rushed and there should probably be some more thought behind this but I wanted to get it out there before I forgot. Some of you may remember the Ecstasy Discussion having a contest in which the contestants created a pamphlet which had some harm reduction info and also URLs to more resources (us). Well what do you guys think about something like this? I know BL probably wouldn't/couldn't print them but if someone wanted to get something similar to help out with the cause that would be cool as well is what I'm thinking. It's kind of mysterious which is what I think will entice people to come.

QP9z6.jpg

I only ran it through tinyurl to help out with the QR code size but this is just to show the idea so don't hate me or my run on sentences please.

You could even use this to link to a really really funny post you made in the lounge that you wish to immortalize and share with people IRL.

I think that is a great idea, but then how does the staff control who gets them/ when, etc? Or would this be non-staff related?

Also, QR codes can be very much more subtle than that - I am under the impression that by arranging the design of the pills in the background in a certain way, you could generate a custom QR code that would be just as easy to scan, but way more "secret" if the cards were found by someone who wasn't "hip" or hadn't been told what it was.

I think that would be very, very much cooler as it would be a completely anonymous card to anyone that hadn't been told to scan it with a phone.

the pills would have to have a few spaces and empty spots here and there, and it would bear a passing resemblance to a QR code if you caught it in the right light, but they could maintain the grid format and it would probably go unnoticed.

Or, even more ninja, put red/ pink pills where you want it to appear black to the camera (usually the QR scanning apps perform a sort of "threshold" filter on the image in order to search for it, even in black and white QR's.) Then, it would only be scan-able when viewed in blue light. awesome, right?

also, if you are actually going to do this, send me the files so I can fix the scale of the pills so that it doesn't look like they are justified to the top left, because that shit is driving me crazy. I have adobe premiere CS5 professional, and am a pro with it, and would be happy to fix that for you.

Last edited:
Hey muvolution,
Thanks for your interest in the cards.

how does the staff control who gets them/ when, etc?
Just like the URL, they don't and can't.

Also, QR codes can be very much more subtle than that - I am under the impression that by arranging the design of the pills in the background in a certain way, you could generate a custom QR code that would be just as easy to scan, but way more "secret" if the cards were found by someone who wasn't "hip" or hadn't been told what it was.
Indeed it could be much more subtle lol. I kinda like it like that though. That's not really the point though heh. More on design in a second. As far as having the QR part more secret or hidden that's not really the point IMO. I've always seen Bluelight as a central hub for information shared for the sake of reducing harm (aside from our wonderful social forums of course), not some kind of secret website that endorses any kind of activities or culture beyond being wise and as safe as possible. So with that in mind I wouldn't really mind if a parent, principal, cop, raver, crackhead, researcher or anyone really came on to the site to see what it's about. And to that end that's why it's important that we conduct ourselves in a way that is consistent with how serious we wish to be taken as anyone who wants can come here already.

So as much as I love the idea of your stealthiness, I don't think it would be best served here as we're trying to get as many eyes on us as possible. This was part of the idea of the pamphlet as well.

how does the staff control who gets them/ when, etc? Or would this be non-staff related?
I did want to come back to this. If the staff did choose to get involved in this then they might consider writing up a few different "QR Announcements" or "QR Threads" according to which QR was scanned. For instance, Bluelight might have a QR Code\thread that would correlate to cards being handed out in a research or conference type setting while having a different QR Code\thread for cards that are being acquired\scanned at a rave. I think in the end it would be easiest if BLers took the time and money to get these printed themselves. They could use designs from a contest that could be hosted here or they could make their own using either the appropriate QR Codes that Bluelight has written up or even directing their peers to a section of the site that they feel would best serve them.

This might be something someone could do in lieu of donating directly to Bluelight.

also, if you are actually going to do this, send me the files so I can fix the scale of the pills so that it doesn't look like they are justified to the top left, because that shit is driving me crazy. I have adobe premiere CS5 professional, and am a pro with it, and would be happy to fix that for you.
hahah I've used the photo shops once or twice. I don't really know what's up with the rights on the picture. I nabbed it from HERE. Really I just threw this up as a proof example type deal. I think a contest would be a good way to get some awesome designs cranked out.

Last edited:
too much Jason Bourne imho.

I wanted to ninja that shit so bad, but those are good points. That said, I am sure that it could be made to be not-so-subtle yet still integrated into the design of the pills.

That said, I am sure that it could be made to be not-so-subtle yet still integrated into the design of the pills.
hahah for sure, but you know that even if you saw that ugly ass card on the floor of a rave you'd be scanning it just because. Well. . . I would anyways. :D

Here you go, so you can sleep tonight. ;) <3

YfSRt.jpg

i think that this is a good idea. i think, at very least, we should agree as a group which url the barcode will point to but, aside from that, i don't think the bl staff need to control this.

alasdair