• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Bloody Sinus for After Cocaine Use

teacup

Greenlighter
(Hello! I'm new to posting, but I'm not new to Bluelight. I've looked on here and many other drug-related forums for a couple of years now, but I finally have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to, so I decided to join today and ask.)

I have a friend who has been using cocaine roughly every other day or so for the past two weeks. On her off days, she would notice she has a bloody nose and bloody mucous. She and her other friend who've been doing it together decided they would cut down on their use to once a week for two weeks, and then once a month or less. Anyway, she hasn't done it for about two days now, but this morning she coughed up a bloody ball of mucous--she's pretty sure t's from her sinus/post nasal drip, and not from her lungs. Regardless, she has no other symptoms--no sore throat, no sore nose/nasal cavity, no chest or lung pain, no headaches, etc. She just occasionally will blow bloody snot out of her nose or cough it up from her head. But not all the time. She said that just when she thinks the last of the blood is gone, and most of her snot is back to clear/white, she'll find some more blood again, even if it was two or three ays after a use. (Probably didn't help that she would then shrug it off and snort some more after!)

Anyway, she is already cutting down on her use, but even if she quit cold turkey, is the blood after use a cause for concern? She also wants to note that she uses some saline solution after use, and on a daily basis uses Claritin (an antihistamine) and Flonase (a decongestant nasal spray) to help with her allergies. Oh yeah, she also has bad allergies tis time of year, and has her space heater on. Are any of these things contributing? Should she take a break from her nasal sprays? Should she stop using an antihistamine to let the mucous not dry up for a while?

It's pretty normal for using a week or two to get blood in mucous especially with adulterants.. It causes perforations in your septum.

Okay, so it's normal to experience for up to a week after? Thanks. A lot of other websites said that it's common, but only up to hours after use. Do you think she should stop taking her allergy meds though, or is that unrelated?

Okay, so it's normal to experience for up to a week after? Thanks. A lot of other websites said that it's common, but only up to hours after use. Do you think she should stop taking her allergy meds though, or is that unrelated?

I would stop the meds if the bleeding is lasting that long. Might need some time to dry out.

As much as I hate to say it, your friend is going to need to ween herself off of the cocaine, at least temporarily so the perforations that have been created by frequent use can heal. If worrying symptoms continue, she may also require medical attention. Best of luck!