View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Black shrooms!!!

ovenbakedskittles

Bluelighter
Hey bluelight! i gotta make this quick!!!

i bought some mushrooms a few weeks ago dry and one of the caps was black when given to me... is this bad??? should i not eat it???

cuz i have heard different reasons as to why they turn black depending on what type of mushrooms... sorry i do not know the type! should i just not even risk it and throw em out??

Iv had mushrooms so blue they looked
Black, also have had black caps. As long as they look like the rest of the batch you should be fine. Are they cubes?

im not sure of the type but they are small! no bigger than a quarter... dont know if size helps you determine the type... definitely dry and they are usually a brownish yellow color when i get them... im new to psychedelics so im not very sure on the type

Even if you provide pictures, there's no way we can tell you that your "strange black mushroom" is safe to eat. If you're unsure, toss it. Unless you're down with food poisoning...

Man, I saw some black shrooms a few months ago and wouldn't touch the things. Heard a couple of reports that they were good, but that didn't come from anyone I would consider a psychonaut or anything.

Supposedly shrooms that are harvested late can turn black from the spores being released but these were black all over, like on top of the cap and everything. So, who knows, but I wouldn't even think of eating them without at least a few substantiated reports that they're legit.

IDK 'bout that shit man...ever see "Shrooms"?
The black caps were the baaaaad fuckers.

...and when I say "baaaad", I mean "gooooood"...;)

Ok, I've been growing my own Cubensis for ~ 2 1/2 years and the caps can turn black. Here's how.

If you've ever had the pleasure of growing you'll notice that the caps swell and a viel starts to form under the cap (but still attached to the stalk and cap). Over a very short time ranging from hours to a few days the cap can enlarge and spread out, stretching the veil. Eventually the veil tears. Shortly (unless you harvest them at this point) they will drop their spores and this can look like *very* dark black ink. Caps can be stained black, stalks and substrate as well.

http://bayimg.com/EaaIEaAGg

The above image is the only example I could quickly find of one of my grows. It can get a lot messier than this.

Personally I have no problem with black shrooms (but then I grow them and know they are ok). I've also found that if I don't dry them properly they can just dort of dissolve into a sticky black mess (I won't eat these, they taste like absolute shit).

When the spores drop, the shrooms tend to taste more like old socks, so I try to pick them before they pop.

OP, they are quite likely ok, but you know if it's only one small cap then toss it.

Tom

^Very good post there, thanks :)

IDK 'bout that shit man...ever see "Shrooms"?
The black caps were the baaaaad fuckers.

...and when I say "baaaad", I mean "gooooood"...;)

Ha I just watched that movie a few nights ago, and it's what popped into my mind when he mentioned the black shrooms. I swear, the writers of that movie didn't even pretend to care about accurately portraying a mushroom trip.

Now I have to go and watch that movie again; don't remember a damn thing other than that it was good.

A really nice, very trippy mushroom movie is 'A field in England'.

OP, here's something you can try to determine if it is spores turning that one mushroom cap black; swab it with a qtip....it should easily stain or have some of the black rub off. Also, you could put the cap on a piece of clean white paper and cover it with a glass/shot glass. Over time, if it is spores you should be able to get a spore print (you can google that term for a good idea of what to look for). The print might be very faint since I gather these are already dry....but I have been able to make spore prints from shrooms I've bought. You're probably good to go.

Oh yeah, another thing to look for is vermiculite. If you've got any of that in your samples, then it means your shrooms have been home grown and are safe. I've never quite managed to pick all of the verm away from my shrooms.

Tom

Very good thinking Tom, I could never pick all the verm off mine either, so yes OP, look for vermiculite/perlite.

I ate a lil less then 3.5 grams of lil black caps once... I was told they were from Hawaii. Strong stuff. Color is not anything to go by though IMO

Know your source ... I trusted mine