• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol Binge Drinking

Michael_25

Bluelighter
I've cut down on my binge drinking. I used to drink 20+ drinks 4 or 5 days a week. However, I now binge drink twice a month, roughly 12 standard drinks. Can drinking somewhat heavily twice a month cause liver damage?

Yes, it can cause damage to your liver and other parts of your body.

12 shots, twice a month...I'd say the risk for significant damage is pretty low. But everyone's body is different, and there are other factors at play as far as age, other drugs you're using, and your overall health.

Yes, mal3volent, everyone differs. I heard of people downing 3 bottles of Jack Daniels a day and they're still kicking (well, I don't know personally -- Corey Taylor from Slipknot said he did it for a while).

However, I am pleased that I am no longer drinking 20+ standard drinks 5 days a week. 12 drinks twice a month is a huge reduction.

Yes, mal3volent, everyone differs. I heard of people downing 3 bottles of Jack Daniels a day and they're still kicking (well, I don't know personally -- Corey Taylor from Slipknot said he did it for a while).

However, I am pleased that I am no longer drinking 20+ standard drinks 5 days a week. 12 drinks twice a month is a huge reduction.

Yeah that's a great improvement, definitely. I'm better than I used to be, but I drink more than twice a month still. More like twice a week probably. But there for a few years I was just constantly shit faced 24/7.

I'm not gonna endorse this, but in my own personal opinion getting real drunk twice a month shouldn't cause any liver problems or lasting health effects. I don't think alcohol is that damaging where if you only did this twice a month it would be an issue. It's sad to see how much some people can drink and still be functional / not needing medical assistance. That said a lot of family close to me are alcoholics and I've seen their depression get way worse and their ability to think intelligently basically disappear.

I think drinking heavy is ok, but you never wanna push it to the point where the next day you're whole head is in serious pain, and you're basically useless for the entire day. If you wake up still drunk, This is a bad sign you overdid it and if repeated will definitely mess you up.. But hey, try and be smart about it. Eat before you drink, drink lots of water, take liver supplements like milk thistle / choline and I can't say this would even take a year off your life span.

The liver is capable of regenerating from heavy blows better than daily damage so it is better for your liver. Still doesn't mean it's healthy though.

If you have been a heavy drinker you have probably lined yourself up for problems with liver and kidneys anyway
Can take ages to show on any regular test.
Have you had a scan at all?

After a heavy session it can take 6 weeks for your liver to stabilise.
Drinking as you are could cause damage.
Best advise is don't binge.
I speak from experience.

Everyone processes alcohol at different rate, so it depends and varies. Its best to keep it as low as possible to avoid liver damage

This forum sort of chimes with me whilst at the same time raising a question. I binge drink (almost to oblivion about three times per month), and have been for the last twenty years. For the hangovers I use 37.mg of Tramadol with paracetamol for the obvious hangover. It works a treat. But as I near 60 years of age I'm beginning to worry about liver damage. I can't mention this to my GP because he's a bit of a moralising bore and I can almost see his frowns followed by some advice I can do without. I seriously want to quit Tramadol and cut down on binge drinking. Any advice on quitting Tramadol would be really appreciated. In 20 years I once went without it for 48 hours and it was fucking hellish.

For 6 months when i lost my dog id drink a litre of rum a day n' my liver is still healthy, got tests done so i guess it takes a long time to damage the liver but ive read that its not only heavy drinking that causes damage but drinking everyday (a few drinks but not neccesarily alot) but age and health play a factor too

This forum sort of chimes with me whilst at the same time raising a question. I binge drink (almost to oblivion about three times per month), and have been for the last twenty years. For the hangovers I use 37.mg of Tramadol with paracetamol for the obvious hangover. It works a treat. But as I near 60 years of age I'm beginning to worry about liver damage. I can't mention this to my GP because he's a bit of a moralising bore and I can almost see his frowns followed by some advice I can do without. I seriously want to quit Tramadol and cut down on binge drinking. Any advice on quitting Tramadol would be really appreciated. In 20 years I once went without it for 48 hours and it was fucking hellish.

If you hate will power or someone you trust to hold your pills you can do a slow taper.
Just go slow, i got off methadone doing it slowly and it was basically painless.

How often are you bing drinking? If its regular you should try to limit how much drink and slowly drink less .
I wouldn't suggest cold Turkey for either

Thank you Zonxx and Lucy20. I very much appreciate your time. My family and friends know nothing and it can feel very lonely not being able to communicate with like minded people. X

For 6 months when i lost my dog id drink a litre of rum a day n' my liver is still healthy, got tests done so i guess it takes a long time to damage the liver but ive read that its not only heavy drinking that causes damage but drinking everyday (a few drinks but not neccesarily alot) but age and health play a factor too

That sucks man. I went through a similar period after my best friend died. Rum is my thing, and I just drowned myself with it. I was buying the handles at one point. Tolerance goes up so quick. What finally made me quit was the heartburn/acid reflux. It was excruciating.

That sucks man. I went through a similar period after my best friend died. Rum is my thing, and I just drowned myself with it. I was buying the handles at one point. Tolerance goes up so quick. What finally made me quit was the heartburn/acid reflux. It was excruciating.
Gotta love our sugar cane water =p whiskeys fine but youd never see me finish a bottle and open another one like i would rum ^^

Gotta love our sugar cane water =p whiskeys fine but youd never see me finish a bottle and open another one like i would rum ^^

It's so cool to drink whiskey now and I WILL drink it happily, it's just, that's what everyone drank when I was growing up and I associate it with people I hate. So when I started drinking as a teenager I liked rum and just stuck with it all these years. So I associate rum with mostly good memories and whiskey with bad, I guess.