• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

BHO discussion

Masshole

Bluelighter
There is lots of bad info floating around regarding BHO/Wax/Shatter etc etc etc.

Lets clear the air and discuss.

Do folks prefer wax/flake/honeycomb/budder because its easier to handle? Personally I like well purged BHO still in hard oil or shatter form. The only downside is the messiness of it (by hard oil I mean chilled in the fridge or freezer).

Currently I'm vaping headband BHO (well purged, no crackles or pops).

what say you?

I like my hydorcarbon extract or "BHO" to be in more of a wax/crumble consistency. I like shatter also but testing has concluded that shatter actually will retain a higher ppm of butane than a wax.

The amount is really small and is always under 500 ppm though. Some samples of wax however test in at under 100 ppm's of butane. All of these samples described are purged in a vac-oven for at least 24 hours. These always taste amazing and the potency is 80-90% THC.

^^that's not necessarily so. Just check out the test results from the recent NW Secret Cup. You'll see both shatters and waxes that have under 10ppm, but examples of both that also have over 10000ppm.

Personally I like shatter. I feel like it keeps the flavor better, I feel like wax (being more porous) goes "stale" faster. It can also be easier to deal with (for a dab, not in a pen), as it sticks to the dabber better. When I used to mostly use a pen instead of a rig though I usually preferred budder.

I have started to do my own BHO extractions as I live in an "nu-friendly" state. I got lots of advise and read a few posts and publications on the matter. I quickly learned the challenges of handling the finished product. I ruined a load of laundry where I can only assume some fall out from a extraction ended up on a sock or something and "speckled" a load of light colored clothes.

So the process I use =
spray - heat purge - vacuum purge and enjoy.... Finished product is usually a nice clear light to dark patty I could only classify as shatter. I vacume purge indoors and I keep my home very cold, 68 degrees as the norm, so unless I and fondling the BHO with my hands it stays pretty hard no need to refrigerate. Its great on the dome-less T-nail and Bubblier, but have not had alot of luck with vap-pens.

I have tried the Atmos Rx jr, a cheap'o I got at 7-11, and am now trying a G-Pen I got at DabLabs in Pacifica CA. none of which really do the job as well as my Bubblier or Bong.

So after all that rambling the anwser to the question I suppose is ...

Shatter is my preference...and mine does the job pretty well, I really like poppin peoples "cherry" on dabs and watching them deal with what just hit them...

Anyone got advise on vaping BHO with pens, please PM me..

If we're talking straight BHO, shatter is the way to do it IMO. If made properly I would say as a general rule, there will be less solvent in shatter vs budder/wax. The Secret Cup has a lot of no name concentrate "companies" and is silly. It's not a very good indication of how the concentrate market is trending, Co2 or hyperbaric being the stuff everyone wants if they know what's up.

With that said, most people wouldn't be able to even tell the difference between something with 10 ppm and 1000 ppm. Having recently made an almost clear shatgnar that tested at 110, I can attest that people will smoke anything as long as it looks appealing because everyone loved the shit with probably quadruple the hydrocarbons...

ug, why is your first post so, contradicting?

"There is lots of bad info floating around regarding BHO/Wax/Shatter etc etc etc.

Lets clear the air and discuss." then you jump right into mostly opinionated questions, why not just make the topic what it is, BHO questions?

anyways, i do like to contribute, i just hate the wording. anywho.

Do folks prefer wax/flake/honeycomb/budder because its easier to handle? Personally I like well purged BHO still in hard oil or shatter form. The only downside is the messiness of it (by hard oil I mean chilled in the fridge or freezer).

i dont care about, texture, look, taste, hardness ectera, i like to get my high to its highest, and thats what i go for. i dont find it messy, because in work i deal with large amounts of solvents, paints, bonders, puddys ectera, so me having a little container with a little tool is alot nicer then MASSIVE AMOUNTS of work crap spilling and mixing ectera, everywhere.

i like my stuff to have some transparency to it. i achieve that by double boil purging for long periods of time.
i also am a fan so lung pull dads.

I take a large (one leter+) glass, drinking glass, put a bottle init, have a socket from a socet wrench, about 1/2in in size, i put that as the "stem" inside a glass 26 vodka bottle (water filled, holes drilled in the bottom) and i put a 6mm socket inside the other socket and i used the 6 mm as the bowl, i torch that, put the dab in and lift all at once. then suck that bad boy in.

sticky chron what methods do you use to get clear? Do you use well cured herb or prefer more fresh herb?

Also what temps do you guys blast and purge at? I've heard lower temps around 110 will create the honeycomb and higher temps around 140 will create the shatter but don't have enough experience to verify.