• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Between a rock and a hard place here.

RodJonse

Bluelighter
Hey Bluelight. This will be a long post, but you guys are generally used to that.

I've not posted here in a while so I'm not sure whether this goes in BDD or here. Mod can move it as needed.

See, my life has come to a bit of a halt. Honestly, a big halt. It's not because of the drugs I take, but drugs are preventing me from rectifying the situation. Part of it is that I've needed to move from Phoenix where I've lived for 23 years for my own mental health. Can't take it anymore. As a musician, I can't make anything anymore right now. I never feel good at all. My life has been the same for the past ten years and it's very depressing and (mentally + physically) painfully. I've been wanting to emigrate to Edinburgh along with a friend for a few years now. I'm not the kind of person who feels afraid or uncomfortable in a new locale and a different country. I'm just tethered down by issues, some of which pertain to family, some related to work, but the serious one keeping me here is drug-related.

I'm not going to need any sort of rehab treatment. I've always been the kind of person who can kick a habit on my own. I just need to do it.

So, long story short:

*Taken diazepam for almost four years, two 10mg tablets a day. As you'd expect, I no longer feel anything from it, even if I were to take 30mg.
*Taken kratom for almost five years - on a daily basis for three - right now taking about 20-28 00 size capsules as a dose, usually twice a day.
*Taken Prozac for nearly a decade, 40mg once a day, probably get very little out of it at this point.
*Taken amphetamine on a regular basis, 15.7mg of these new sublingual tablets. My Adderall dose was 25mg, then 30mg, back down to 25mg.

I also take codeine from time to time and drink a couple times a week but those aren't any issue.

Now, of those four, I'm mainly concerned with the Prozac and the diazepam. Need to note that I do *not* have mental addiction for any of these, only physical dependency.

See, I'd taken amphetamines before in my life. While I like them every now and then, they're not something I need. I took Adderall from late 2012 to late 2013 and quit, because I was sick of the comedowns. I love amphetamine, but as far as I'm concerned, it really has no abuse potential. Not for me. Its pros are always eventually weighed down by the cons if you take it more than once or twice a week or daily for more than a few months. Sweating, very little window of enjoyment followed by shitty comedowns...great drug, just only worth taking recreationally or to get you through some stupid shit you don't want to do occasionally.

Kratom, I'm not concerned about. I have a lot (courtesy of the big stupid scare that led to lots of stockpiling a little while ago) and I could taper, but I almost don't want to. I'd almost rather just stop and feel shitty for a week because I've done it before and know what to expect. I'm at the point now where even alternating strains, I get bad 'whiplash', as I like to call it. That vertigo-like feeling in your head that puts a stop to any good feelings you had. Just a clear sign you use it too much. Anyone who might have gone through withdrawal recently, let me know what you think I should do. I've been through opioid withdrawal three or four times in total in my life, only one with kratom, and I find it similar to a "three day hump" sort of thing like when you stop smoking. I'm confident I can do that.

What I've come here for real help on is quitting diazepam and Prozac.

While years ago, I would have (actually did a few times) been able to quit the latter on a whim and be fine due to its long half life, I can't after nine years of taking it. With diazepam, even though it's pretty much the easiest, even though it's basically what they give to get you off benzos, I still haven't begun a taper because I want to move on with my life quickly. I've heard with benzos that acute WD symptoms can manifest sometimes YEARS later. I don't know how true this is but it makes me want to avoid a near-cold turkey taper (where I basically just cut my dose down by half every ten days, which would have worked if I'd not taken it for more than six months). At the same time, I want OFF. I hate the drug. While I have had amazing experiences with z-drugs like zolpidem and other things that work on gaba like Soma, I do not understand the appeal of benzos anymore. Unless you take them for the recommended time of only six weeks max, they're not worth it, and recreationally it's all just way too fast of a tolerance buildup and way too slow of a withdrawal. As for the Prozac, I don't want brain zaps. I don't want terrible bouts of [whatever]. I can't imagine WD will take as long but I can't imagine that like kratom it'll be over in a week.

So yeah, how do I do this? What's the best way? Anything for benzos WD akin to what kratom is for opiate WD? What's a way to get a consistent dose when I can no longer score a tab (or can I get <5mg tabs I can cut in half?) without crumbling medicine? Is it safe to taper off an SSRI and start on a replacement one?

Answers would be very appreciated while I get myself to stop being a pussy and just do this shit already.

I'll admit that I skimmed, but is there any way at all you can do a slow taper? I HIGHLY recommend that, and am doing the same thing myself right now. I wouldn't normally suggest this kind of stuff, but if you're really out of options, there are always RC benzos and etizolam. Diclazepam is pretty similar to diazepam and a great taper drug imo. If you're getting the benzos from a doctor, by all means, tell them you want off and let them taper you.

As far as SSRIs go, definitely see a doctor for those. It shouldn't be too hard if done right, and even if you see a different dr, no one is going to refuse to help you taper off a SSRI. I have no experience with SSRIs in particular, but WD can really go either way, or so I've heard. It isn't dangerous like benzo WD, but some people have an awful time while others feel very little. Keep in mind that some symptoms may simply be the return of your original symptoms, like in my case, I have severe insomnia with or without the benzo dependence. It's really up to you, though I think a taper would be preferable. I got off mirtazapine CT though and don't regret that at all because I immediately felt better off it, but ymmv. Maybe take a few days off and see how bad the WD is? And I'm sorry if you went over this already, like I said, I skimmed.

Just don't CT the benzos no matter what!! I was told to do a taper after a few weeks of dependence, and I'm glad I listened. Tapering is so much easier. There's herbal stuff like kava and valerian which might help a little, and you might be able to get something like gabapentin from a doctor to switch to. Don't be too hard on yourself, you've got this-just do it the safe way. I was always the kind of person to like to just CT opioids (for the same reasons as you, just wanted OFF and over with) and get it done with because I hated tapering opioids, but if you're not psychologically addicted, a long, slow taper is honestly fairly easy with benzos, and safe. The last thing you want is to die or cause brain damage from not even drug use, but drug WD.

The whole thing is going to take a while and you've gotta be committed but tapers really are the only way. And I feel you on the music thing, certain benzos really mess with my cognition in a way that affects my musical abilities, which I HATE, but hang in there. My cognition has already improved on my taper anyway, so it's not like you have to wait til the very end to start feeling like yourself again :)

Thanks for the response. I think a first step might be to ask about diclazepam. Had never heard of it. I've only known diazepam as essentially the end of the line and was told by someone "there are other things" before but they never mentioned anything.

My taper plan as it stands would probably be to switch to 5mg tablets when the time comes and use some carisoprodol (which after I'm done with kratom is probably what I'll go back to for the worst bits of the chronic neck pain I deal with) every so often towards the end as I understand it can lessen withdrawal symptoms. Whole taper would probably be the remainder of the year, plus a little bit of January.

My semi-cold turkey plan is as follows and I just want to know from someone with experience whether or not it'd be alright: I have 0.5mg tabs of two year old clonazepam. I hate clonazepam, but cross tolerance, so whatever. If I were to score my 10mg diazepam tabs for 10 days and introduce 0.25mg of clonazepam each day, then get and score some 5mg tabs of diazepam for the next 20 days, bumping the clonazepam up to 0.5mg in the last week and taking what's left of it until I'm out, would I be alright? I mean, I know that'd be rough as hell with those tiny doses, but would I be pretty safe from the possibility of seizure and all that?

Anyways, thanks for the info. I'm going to decide sometime tomorrow. Should clarify that when I say cold turkey, I do not mean totally quitting all at once. With the opioids and stimulants I've taken, sure. Sometimes I prefer that. I wouldn't take that kind of gamble with a benzo though, not even diazepam.

One other semi-related thing: is there a benzo/z-drug with an insanely long half-life? Like a benzo designed for withdrawal, much more so than diazepam. Anything like that exist?

Last edited:
Diazepam and chlordiazopoxide ('Librium') are gerally considered first line treatments for dependence on any benzos, alcohol or barbiturates, so your best either sticking with the diazepam, or swapping to chlordiazopoxide if you want to decrease in extremely small increments (it's about a third as potent as diazepam mg for mg).

Diclazepam (2, Chloro - Diazepam) - while being a good 'emergency' option for those that want to do diy tapers is still inferior to it's analogue as it has active metabolites with epic half lives which may accumulate making this drug much more messy to deal with (flubromazepam, another uber - long lasting RC benzo also has similar issues, for slightly different reasons....)

Plus the fact that as a research chemical, even the best clearnet sources for this drug will not have the consistency or quality of manufacture than pharmaceutical Rx diazepam will have.

^yeah, it's far from ideal. Just a last-ditch option if you really can't get anything else. Anything is better than serious, acute benzo WD.

If you can get your stuff legally/from a doctor, by all means, that's the way to go.

I had a harder time coming off of Citalopram than I did heroin, meth, benzos, or ketamine. For some people, SSRI discontinuation is no joke. Never felt anything as close to the insanity that I felt trying to cold turkey a mere 20mg of Citalopram.

So what I recommend is that you get a liquid solution of fluoxetine (Prozac) from your doc. Then you do an extremely slow taper going down only a mg or so per week. As you get closer to single digit mg territory you may have to decrease the taper to less than a mg.

Best of luck!

Day....don't know, didn't count how many days it's been.

I've been steadily taking roughly one 10mg diazepam tablet every day for a while (half my prescribed dose) although it evens itself out because I basically have a particularly shit day two or three times a week where I'll take three of them.

Today was one of those days. I've needed a new drug to get me through all this in the meantime but haven't found what I'm looking for. Methaqualone has helped before but there's no way I can find any of that legally. I still have zolpidem, my lovely former flame, but I've not taken a single one in four years just because I worry. It was the only drug ever I truly became dangerously close to mental addiction with and I'm also worried I might have some weird dormant relapse thing although that's likely just my OCD being stupid

After a sudden slump, coupled with the fact that my friends keep letting me down (different story for another time), I took 35mg of diazepam, 3mg of Xanax, 1mg of clonazepam (I just took...I believe another 1mg?)

Since I know I'd have to take 130-250mg diazepam to get a serious effect at this point (which would be incredibly stupid come next morning), I may take a little more clonazepam. I have too much of the shit to spare and I don't care for it, but it's okay stacked with xanax. Going to take some metaxalone. Basically making some poor man's makeshift carisoprodol with the combination, since they'll no longer fucking give anyone Soma or Flexeril or anything else that fucking works and instead only bullshit like metaxalone and methocarbamol. All because some dipshit somewhere took one too many. Sigh....

Anyways, I'm doing this because I can't take kratom again yet, I'll just get the whiplash followed by that vertigo comedown and I can't drink yet because I just cannot function with the mental intoxication. I wish benzos weren't so unbalanced because they're like alcohol without the intoxication. Though that's probably why they're so conveniently abused.

TL;DR/relative:Gotta pull myself together and try again tomorrow. Sorry about the long post but thank you for reading if you did. I appreciate it. Will look into the the "Ashton Manual". Doc can't get me the analogue so I'll ask about chlordiazopoxide (still have yet to ask about low diazepam dosages/liquid solutions first - same applies to the prozac)...and yeah JB - consensus has been that benzos are the worst in terms of WD for a while but the second and third has always been in dispute. I can't suggest everyone go through it just to see but I've come to the conclusion that SSRI WD is very likely the second worse. It's just not ever considered so much because they're barely controlled and easy to obtain. You never really quit, you just kind of keep moving between different SSRIs forever. If acquiring them was similar to acquiring benzos, I think a lot more suffering would be documented.

Anyways, thanks again for the replies. This site does help keep me going at some low points. My life is so stagnant right now. I'm pretty goddamned apathetic/depressed (not sure which) right now (it's not the drugs, exempting amphetamine comedown from hours ago).

Anyone in Phoenix and also a musician? I need some more reliable buddies and something to do, man... If my friend had showed up today to help work on our project that's gone nowhere because he's not being sincere with me, I wouldn't have stuffed myself with more pills.

Hey everybody.

So, I've wanted to pack up and move to the Netherlands with a friend for a long time. What's been keeping me here are the drugs, specifically the benzo.

I just now found out about etizolam. In fact, I found out about a lot of RC I had no idea you could get so easily.

Anyways, had I known I could just stock up and taper at my leisure, I might have been able to leave a long time ago. I can get it there too. No longer would I have to worry about running out or seeing a doctor.

So, anyone here have experience with it? Everyone says it's equivalent to 10mg of diazepam which is what I've been taking. I figure I'd slowly taper off that, introduce the etizolam partway through, then slowly taper off that. It'd be something like a six month process. Could I get diclazepam, that'd work too, but being so similar to diazepam, I feel the taper could rougher as I'm almost then just doing the same thing I'd be doing if I cut down diazepam until I couldn't anymore and stopped.

Any thoughts? Still going to ask my doctor about chlordizopoxide but if etizolam is really what it's supposed to be then I could get on with my life so much quicker.

Prozac thing has been sorted out, I think. I have so much spare that I could do a taper on my own without a doctor. Replacement anti-depressant will be Ultram, which I got along with well in the past. Will take it only as long as it works and the Prozac is totally out, then simply purchase 5-HTP.

Last edited: