• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Console Best Zelda Game to Begin with on Switch?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Never played a Zelda game, but I've now 100%'d every Pokemon (the only game I really play) on Switch and thought the Zelda games might be a good next game-series to try. They seem super popular.
I know on the "Gameboy" thing you can download from nintendo online for free has the actual first couple of games from the early-mid 90s but the gameplay is a little too archaic for me, and I'd really rather play the newer ones (like, that were actually released on switch) but I don't know which ones are best or if you have to play some in order for storyline or whatever.

Someone help me out, please?

Oh, possibly relevant: I have Switch Lite and the right toggle is fucked, so I can't play if you need the use of that.

The Ocarina of time (n64) is my fav video game.
The ones on NES 1&2 are classic.
Some like the SNES one.
The free gameboy thing on my switch includes Links Awakening, Seasons, and Ages, if any of them are any good?

The free gameboy thing on my switch includes Links Awakening, Seasons, and Ages, if any of them are any good?

I loved all three... the amount of hours I played those on my gameboy as a kid is unreal. Hard for me to pick , but I'd probably go OoA...

but yeah if you can get the n64 games on switch I'd definitely go Ocarina then Majoras mask.

MM is my favorite zelda game.

I loved all three... the amount of hours I played those on my gameboy as a kid is unreal. Hard for me to pick , but I'd probably go OoA...

but yeah if you can get the n64 games on switch I'd definitely go Ocarina then Majoras mask.

MM is my favorite zelda game.

I'll second Majora's Mask being the best in the franchise, but it's not a place to start.

I would start with A Link to the Past. At that point most of what makes Zelda Zelda was already in place. You could argue the same about Zelda I, but the NES games are rough and not as timeless as the later ones. Go back and play them if and when you fall in love with the franchise.

As for worrying about storyline, I would say it mostly doesn't matter. There's a vague effort at an overarching timeline but it's clearly never been the focus of the people making the games. I would recommend playing Ocarina of Time before Majora's Mask, but that's more due to the fact that Majora's Mask is a very weird and difficult game and it will be good to have had practice with the mechanics. Other than that, the games are all self-contained... you won't be missing too much by jumping into any one of them to start.

If you jump directly into Breath of the Wild or Tears of the Kingdom, though, be aware that these are reboots that drastically moved away from a lot of "what makes Zelda Zelda".

Last edited:
legend of zelda nintendo GIF

Hey there! If you're new to Zelda, the Switch titles are a great place to start. Breath of the Wild is a masterpiece and doesn't require prior knowledge. It's epic, open-world fun!