• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Best word processing get up?

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
What is the best word processing program?

Im looking to get the best user friendly word processing set up for writing. What do you all recommend and why?

OpenOffice if you can’t swing the Microsoft 365 subscription. If you’re doing any kind of work that’s collaborative, or you have an editorial team you’ll want to use Google Docs. It’s standard.

There are plenty of different word processing apps with different uses, but thats the basics. Check out the addons you can get on your gmail account too. There’s a ton that can be helpful to your writing, depending what you’re creating or filling out.

For form filling adobe has the pdf and form apps you want to get. Desktop is better than mobile by a mile. In gmail addons there’s a couple though. I haven’t tried them. I’m sure they’re fine.

Last edited:
@Joey @Mysterier Do Google Docs or OpenOffice have the same Track Changes editing capabilities as Microsoft Office? I might have to disagree with what is considered standard :p I used to use with Google Docs when I was a social worker and it is good for file sharing amongst a team in smaller outfits. But that is nothing a simple attachment to an email or a link to a filesharing server can't handle. One of my side hustles is working part time as an editor of technical reports for a huge multinational consulting company that nobody has heard of. The Track Changes function alone makes MS Word a lifesaver when proofreading, recommending edits, and/or adding commentary to a document. In fact, using Microsoft Word on a PC (not the Apple version) is required for my job. Same as when I was in grad school. If you are a writer, having your work critiqued and edited is 100 percent part of the game. Literally no one just writes and goes straight to publishing without going through at least one third party editor.

MS Word has tons of features for building a Table of Contents, page numbering, headers and footers, formatting, layout, design, etc. I'm the first to admit that not all of these features are user friendly but there is a Youtube video for everything on this word processor. And once these functions are learned, they become easier and faster to implement. Google Docs has hundreds, if not thousands, of add ons that you have to wade through and fish for and hunt down and read the reviews for. Why not use a word processor that already has everything you need in place? And if it doesn't, there are still add ons you can download for Word as well.

I also like that you can save a Word document as a PDF if needed, not to mention other file formats. It may cost a little money but IMHO you get what you pay for. I don't know any serious writer or grad student who doesn't use Microsoft Word. It seems to be the standard that all the others try to copy. Yes I am biased but only because I have used it so much. I don't think it's an accident or coincidence why so many graduate programs and companies that employ professional writers on their staff require the usage of MS Word. If anything, that fact alone is the biggest clue as to why it is the best word processor on the market right now, and has been for years. Google Docs' biggest selling point is that it's free. Meh. @neversickanymore you already said you make a good living. I don't know why you wouldn't want to invest in something that wasn't the best. No, I don't earn a commission if you buy Microsoft office. I'm just passionate about writing and editing. And don't get me started on PowerPoint!

@Joey @Mysterier Do Google Docs or OpenOffice have the same Track Changes editing capabilities as Microsoft Office? I might have to disagree with what is considered standard :p I used to use with Google Docs when I was a social worker and it is good for file sharing amongst a team in smaller outfits. But that is nothing a simple attachment to an email or a link to a filesharing server can't handle. One of my side hustles is working part time as an editor of technical reports for a huge multinational consulting company that nobody has heard of. The Track Changes function alone makes MS Word a lifesaver when proofreading, recommending edits, and/or adding commentary to a document. In fact, using Microsoft Word on a PC (not the Apple version) is required for my job. Same as when I was in grad school. If you are a writer, having your work critiqued and edited is 100 percent part of the game. Literally no one just writes and goes straight to publishing without going through at least one third party editor.

MS Word has tons of features for building a Table of Contents, page numbering, headers and footers, formatting, layout, design, etc. I'm the first to admit that not all of these features are user friendly but there is a Youtube video for everything on this word processor. And once these functions are learned, they become easier and faster to implement. Google Docs has hundreds, if not thousands, of add ons that you have to wade through and fish for and hunt down and read the reviews for. Why not use a word processor that already has everything you need in place? And if it doesn't, there are still add ons you can download for Word as well.

I also like that you can save a Word document as a PDF if needed, not to mention other file formats. It may cost a little money but IMHO you get what you pay for. I don't know any serious writer or grad student who doesn't use Microsoft Word. It seems to be the standard that all the others try to copy. Yes I am biased but only because I have used it so much. I don't think it's an accident or coincidence why so many graduate programs and companies that employ professional writers on their staff require the usage of MS Word. If anything, that fact alone is the biggest clue as to why it is the best word processor on the market right now, and has been for years. Google Docs' biggest selling point is that it's free. Meh. @neversickanymore you already said you make a good living. I don't know why you wouldn't want to invest in something that wasn't the best. No, I don't earn a commission if you buy Microsoft office. I'm just passionate about writing and editing. And don't get me started on PowerPoint!
It’s the group editing that’s the big one for me.

@Jerry Atrick

Microsoft Word is my favorite, but as i just picked up an Apple for the first time I thought I would check and see what everyone thinks. I have allot of experience on it and will go for that.

Is there much difference with the MS word program for apple?

@Jerry Atrick

Microsoft Word is my favorite, but as i just picked up an Apple for the first time I thought I would check and see what everyone thinks. I have allot of experience on it and will go for that.

Is there much difference with the MS word program for apple?
Not too sure as I have never used the Apple version. I just know that, according to my boss at the editing gig, there may be compatibility issues between Apple Word and PC Word. She told me there was another editor that they rarely send reports to because she has the Apple version. Of course this means more work for me :love: The compatibility issues may be minor enough for you to skate by. I know in my grad school cohort (2010-2012), there were a couple of people running Word on Macbooks and they seemed to get by AFAIK.

I wrote a 150 page Master's thesis on PC Word but also edited/formatted a thesis for a girl who wrote hers on Apple Word. I don't remember there being problems sharing the document between our respective computers.

Okay, after writing all that above, I did some googling. According to one article re: Word 2010, the biggest compatibility issues came from printer drivers and fonts with regards to spacing, widows and orphans, and other formatting characteristics. However, apparently many of these items have been worked out since 2016.

Here is the old article:

And here is a newer page from Microsoft's website. Notice the Apple column reads "Word 2016 and later for Mac":

From what I gathered in both articles, it is best to have the latest version of Mac Word for optimal compatibility.

I generally use OpenOffice or LibreOffice.
Both are free open source software.