• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Best way to stop using opiates

SunnyBunnyLove

Greenlighter
I am an (almost) 19 year old female and i have been using a mix of heroin, oxycodone and occasionally morphine multiple times a day everyday since August (mid August was my first time dabbling in heroin). Ive spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on the shit (oh how its bittersweet in more than 1 way) and i need to find a way i can kick it to the curb for good, in a way that wont interfere with school and my personal life (like junk doesnt? Lol straight A's and nodding off in class every day). Ive been trying to taper down my doses but every time i pick up i just end up taking hit after hit with my boyfriend (who has been by my side throughout my addiction/dependency, and also asks "can we do another hit?" every half hour and me doing so since i have difficulties saying "no" to him/black) and picking up another half T the next day. Ive been thinking about methadone or suboxone clinics, but im worried it will interfere with my nursing schoolwork (also wondering how the both of them feel compared to black). I just want to go back to the days where i can be clean(ish) and also be able not to wake up drenched in sweat, take regular BMs, and just be happy without chasing dragons.

high SunnyBunnyLove :) welcome to BL :D!

i'm moving your thread from homeless ----> Other Drugs

the guys over there should be able to give you some great tips and if you get clean you can check out the Sober Living forum :).

At this stage of your young dope "career" I would suggest a sub taper for a week or 2. Tapering with dope is next to fucking impossible.

Doesnt sound like youre all that deep if u say this has only been going on for about 4 months. Just quit now if u can it'll only get harder.

Your best bet would be suboxone or methadone - if you're not trying to get completely clean and is seeking a crutch.
But please remember also - You're trading on addiction for another.
It will be cheaper choosing this route but if you do not taper off eventually - Withdrawals are pretty bad on these.
I don't recommend trading one addiction for another but if you must - choose those two because at least
it is monitored for the most part.
Why not trying to get clean? It saves alot of aches in the future. I promise.
Cheers!

Honestly the absolute best way to get clean IMO is rehab with at least a 6 week stay. But it's not an option available to everyone unfortunately. Otherwise yeah methadones a very good option. This really isn't my place to say but fuck it you asked, your chances sound slim staying with the bf. Two addicts and one getting clean/one getting clean for the other, well it rarely works out. Sorry for saying it I feel like a cunt now. Although I kinda feel like you know this already.

At your age and level of use I really don't recommend methadone either for tapering or for maintenance.

I would consider kicking using some of the effective legal remedies for withdrawal. Stock up on withdrawal remedies - for me, gabapentin is about the most effective thing, but if your dope habit is large enough, it might not cover all of your symptoms. I'd say, obtain a script for gabapentin, a bottle of generic loperamide, and some high grade kratom powder.

Stop the dope on a Friday. Saturday morning when you wake up sick, start a regimen of 400-600mg of gabepentin and 2-4 mg of loperamide every 4 hours or so. Take a few grams of kratom powder throughout the day as needed. Maybe through in some tylenol for the hot flashes/chills/aches and pains.

I'd wager that with 2000-2400mg of gabapentin and 8-10mg of loperamide per day, and kratom and tylenol as needed you'll be able to cope surprisingly well.

After that, the trouble is going to be staying away from the junk - you and your boyfriend are going to have to seriously change your lifestyles for that to work.

Thanks for all the feedback. Well to clarify my "cleanish" remark, i just meant smoking pot, drinking on occasion, maybe get shroomy every now and again :p Also, my boyfriend has had the desire to get clean for a while but since he has been unemployed for the past month due to harsh weather (he works up in the mountains rigging and choker setting), i have had the income therefore giving me the power to buy it. He made several points how it would be better for us to get clean, like how we waste all our money on it, its all we look forward to and how weve been more depressed overall. No worries on sounding like a cunt, i found nothing wrong with your statement honestly lol. Also, what are the main differences between sub/methadone? Besides one having an opiate antagonist.

Also where can kratom be found? I live in the PNW, ive heard of it a few years back from my brother but i never went out of my way to find it.

As you can see, everyone has a different opinion. This is easily searchablr, the only way you are actually going to find out what works is by trying it.

My 2c, i would just quit using dope. 4 months isnt that long andthis will drastically improfe your condition during PAWS. Obviously your boyfriend has to go. The "lets quit together" thing never works.

Check out the Sober Living and Dark Side forums. They will be much betterhelp than OD.

Get together a little withdrawal kit before you quit so you dont have to skip work/school. Just search search search. If you have a question its been answered and conveniently stored in the archives for us all.

Can't believe I'm only the second to say get rid of the boyfriend. I know you don't want to hear it, but from the information you have provided there doesn't seem to be a positive end to you 2 staying together through this. Especially when you've mentioned he is constantly asking/suggesting to take another hit?!

Best way to quit is to quit. If you can't bring yourself to taper down slowly, I would suggest to get rid of all your shit and stop buying more.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-562628.html

Subs are safer IMO. I've been on MMT and SMT and methadone is a lot harder to come off of, not to mention a pain in the ass getting to the clinic and all.

BUT, I say take Wants2Nod's adbice trust him/her. Kratom can be accquired at some head shops and online. No experience with kratom tho.

I bet you'd be fine without it tho if u have lope, gabapentin, tylenol and a couple benzos here and there. And don't worry I'm not gonna offer u any relationship advice lol only u know what's right for the both of u

You've only been on opiates since August? That's just 6 months, sweety.
You're withdrawal AT MOST will be under average moderate withdrawal.

Here's how I rank opiate withdrawals.

1. Severe (best options, Rehab or MMT)
2. Moderate severe (best options, Rehab or Buperenorphine )
3. Moderate (best options, slow taper from weaker opiates)
4. Average moderate (best options, faster taper with weaker opiates)
5. Minor (best option is cold turkey)

To be honest, I wouldv'e put u on 5 at just minor withdrawal, but since you were using powerful Narcotic drugs, Oxycodone, and esp Heroin.
If it was just Oxycodone, for using just 6 months, you would be at 5, at minor withdrawal.

What I would recommend is to lay off the Heroin.
Use Oxycodone to taper yourself down to the lowest dose possible.
Example, if you were on 100mg of Oxycodone daily, I would drop it to 90mg, and go down 10mg every week.
It'll take you under 2 months.

DON'T go to a Methadone clinic when You've only been on opiates for 6 months.
Methadone is EXTREMELY POTENT.

My withdrawal was at 1, Severe.
I was on Hydrocodone for 2 years, using 100mg daily. Oxycodone for 3 years, using 200mg daily, then Black tar Heroin for 2 years, using a gram daily.

It was SO BAD, it almost killed me from dehydration.
All the liquid was puked out or stooled out (severe nausea and vomiting, and severe diarrhea).
My skin was turning yellow, and my lips were turning blue.
When the peramedics arrived to my house, they said "you're very lucky you called us on time, you could've died or went into a coma from dehydration"

I stayed in the hospital from Friday night to Monday morning.
Since my insurance didn't cover rehab, my only other option was MMT (Methadone maintenance therapy).
This was 5 years ago, and I'm still on Methadone.

Methadone is great for people who have been on opiates for a long period of time, and have severe withdrawal from the Narcotics.

Hope that helps,
Wish you the best,
--Methacodone