• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Best way to remove THC/CBD from dank cannabis without affecting taste?

Changa707

Bluelighter
Hey guys and girls, I am currently trying to taper down my intake of cannabis which I consume via bong rips on a daily basis. I mix my herb with tobacco, and to some extent I think I am more addicted to the tobacco than the cannabis...which I use mainly for it's great taste (strait tobacco tastes pretty gross). Anyways, up here in BC it is hard to find weed that isn't ultra potent and dank...and I actually find that most of the stuff is just way too strong, and debilitates me.
I want to effectively remove all/most of the psychoactive compounds in my weed without degrading the flavor. Most of you would say "well why don't you just buy some low grade weed?"...but its surprisingly hard to find, and usually tastes pretty shit (thats why I want to make low grade "dank", if you will)
I imagine that just soaking the weed in ethanol or some kind of solvent would remove most of the psychoactive compounds, but probably also remove many of the aromatic compounds as well. Also, this would require me grinding the bud...although I suppose it's going to get ground anyways, but then it would also loose it's aroma faster.

Anyone have suggestions for decreasing the potency of the weed without using chemicals, and without causing a deterioration of the aroma? I still want to get a minor high maybe...but something thats really low strength (maybe 1-2 % THC/CBD...like the old school weed that our parents supposedly smoked).
Important thing here is that I enjoy the taste of dank weed...but I don't really enjoy the high. This would allow me to keep smoking dank weed without getting high...helping me taper down, and eventually quit all forms of smoking. But right now it's really just the ritual and headrush from the tobacco that I am addicted too...but I can't smoke strait tobacco in the bong without a little weed to mask the taste.

Wait you smoke bongs of tobacco and weed? Hmmm not something I've ever done but one suggestion I would have is to find a bud that has a higher CBD% than usual. This chemical makes the high much more calm ime. I believe it's b/c it counteracts the negative side effects of THC. You should be looking for something that has about equal CBD% and THC% where as most buds generally have higher THC% and very little CBD if any.

Oh forgot to add that if you buy a grinder with those bottom keef collectors that screw off then you could grind your bud to easily remove alot of the trichomes making it a bit less potent.

Last edited:
when i read the title i thought you were looking to rob people (put the psychoactives aside and sell them bunk ass buds.)

when i read the title i thought you were looking to rob people (put the psychoactives aside and sell them bunk ass buds.)

Haha, yeah I figured someone would wonder why the fuck I want to remove the psychoactives...but yeah, I really just wanna quit the shit cause it's just too damn strong. But now that I think about it, I could save up all the psychoactives and give em to my friends or sell em (make dabs or hash or something). I just want the weed to smoke for the taste, it's kinda like the idea behind non-alcoholic beer...but with weed!
I read something online about some scientists in Israel that bred a cannabis strain without any THC...but i'm not sure if they kept the CBD (most likely). It would be great if somebody breeds a strain that has no psychoactives at all!

They did keep the cbd. The high cbd stains have an interesting taste closer to pine. Look for harlequin or ac/DC as they are common cbd stains

stop mixing your cannabis with tobacco. in my experience this will slow down your intake quite a bit. do you smoke cigarettes as well? here in middle europe most people mix cannabis with tobacco, and many of them are addicted to it and many of those don't even realize that. when you are craving your next hit, you crave mostly the nicotine. I also find the effects of Cannabis to be much cleaner and more fulfilling not mixed with tobacco. I also think that a reduction in intake might improve the quality of your high.

and yes, to your original question: extracting the cannabinoids will also extract most of the flavour, since it is mostly in the bud resin.

stop mixing your cannabis with tobacco. in my experience this will slow down your intake quite a bit. do you smoke cigarettes as well? here in middle europe most people mix cannabis with tobacco, and many of them are addicted to it and many of those don't even realize that. when you are craving your next hit, you crave mostly the nicotine. I also find the effects of Cannabis to be much cleaner and more fulfilling not mixed with tobacco. I also think that a reduction in intake might improve the quality of your high.

and yes, to your original question: extracting the cannabinoids will also extract most of the flavour, since it is mostly in the bud resin.

Totally agree with you....this is an excellent point, because I honestly can't remember a time when I didn't mix tobacco and cannabis together. But when I do smoke strictly cannabis, I still want to smoke tobacco..but not as much. The thing about mixing tobacco and weed that I love is the headrush..thats it. You mix the two and smoke them out of a bong and you get a nice 30 second rush...it's stupid to be honest, but very addictive.

Right now I am looking at a substance called akyl nitrite, and there is another one called arecoline...they both apparently have "headrush" like effects similiar to nicotine, so I might give them a try. I have to agree with you though, smoking weed by itself is very pleasant and doesn't produce as much craving...but sadly I have not been able to give up tobacco since I started years ago. And no, I have never smoked cigarettes regularly (only at parties when drunk).

As far as the CBD strains that you guys have mentioned go...I have tried harlequinn, but it still got me high and I actually felt more depressed than ever. I don't really see what all the hype is about with that stuff...as far as I could tell it was just like any other weak bud, and didn't taste great. It came from a good dispensary, so i'm pretty sure it was legit.

well I don't think that the rush of a bong rip with tobacco is what is enjoyable, but you rather relate it to the actual effects of tobacco/nicotine, which gives you a subtle but nonetheless profound feeling of reward and satisfaction.

take my advice, as someone who smoked tobacco for 7 years: get away from it as soon as possible, it doesn't get easier over time to kick the habit. it took me more than 4 years to actually stop smoking tobacco. this drug is simply not worth risking your health over it.

Harlequin still has 9% thc next to sound 12% cbd. Ac/dc is 1% thc at most to 20% cbd

Anyone have suggestions for decreasing the potency of the weed without using chemicals, and without causing a deterioration of the aroma? I still want to get a minor high maybe...but something thats really low strength (maybe 1-2 % THC/CBD...like the old school weed that our parents supposedly smoked).
Important thing here is that I enjoy the taste of dank weed...but I don't really enjoy the high. This would allow me to keep smoking dank weed without getting high...helping me taper down, and eventually quit all forms of smoking. But right now it's really just the ritual and headrush from the tobacco that I am addicted too...but I can't smoke strait tobacco in the bong without a little weed to mask the taste.

old school weed was more like 4~5% CBD/THC if found in equal amounts. that was in the 70's before the drug cartels got a hold of it for mass import.

Unless your going back to the 20-30's and your parents are that old...lol

J

Also if your shizzle is too strong it's probably because it has high THC and little to no CBD, equal ratios is best, and it's just a matter of your intake amount after that,..

as one poster suggested, once you get an equal ratio, you can mix damiana or some other herb with it to get less active ingredient per toke.

CBD can be easily had as an extract and is legal in all 50 US states, and in equal ration will make it more like your parents shizzle was...lol

Why would you want to remove thc from weed... I find that crazy lmao

Best way is to smoke less, get a good seal on your bong, and grind your weed to fine powder, put the tobacco under the weed, make small bowls that you can take in one hit, take the hit using the edge of the lighter and only enough flame needed to catch fire, then take the hit in one hit, and hold, not alll thc is absorbed within 5 seconds, and holding for longer makes a hell of a difference,

also when you take a hit, your not denying your brain of oxygen, unless your being fed pure smoke in a labratory setting like they did with thoose chimpanzees, there is oxygen in your hit, and your body takes it each time your heart beats, it also takes some of the cannibinoids,

stop smoking before you feel high, cannabis doesn't hit you instantly and if you wait a good 15 minutes youll be higher then when you stoped smoking,
if you look at dosages on erowid, for really good cannabis which you should be getting in bc you only need maybe 1/30th of a gram, smoking more then needed bruises the tolerance, and makes it so you need to smoke more to reach that level next time,

Don't smoke joints, joints and blunts burn the weed when your not smoking, and especially if your holding a hit, your getting the air high, and wasting some of your herb,
tolerance isn't a competatition i actually find it a hinderance, i wish i could still take one tiny fingerprint bong hit, and play video games for 2 hours baked off my mind,

Hi everybody! I am not a daily pot smoker anymore, mainly because after years past as a stoner MJ sometimes started to give me panic attacks, social anxiety and paranoia, not to say it gives me only bad effects, its more like a 50/50 probability to get the good or the bad, more likely influenced by mindset & people around. I love that plant/drug but it is a psychic amplifier so I yhink it just makes me able to feel subconscious emotions, and i have to be careful with it if I am in a too strange/bad mood.
Not smoking daily anymore just got my tolerance down as hell and sometimes a couple of puffs get me in a state of trippy blissfull inspiration or horrid anxiety.
I found that the first joint i smoke in a day is more probable to give me anxiety and that it can be overcome by smoking small gradually increasing amounts and reaching the plateau I desire for inspiration and creativity.

I recently made a decarboxylated(baked) cannabis alcohol tincture (3g weed for 30ml 90% alcohol) to use orally and maybe sublingual, i have a feeling that the slow onset and comeup time of oral cannabis will give me no panic shock i sometimes get from smoking.
I also kept the spent weed to smoke when i want to feel the taste of MJ but not the effect, I can say the smell is not as tasty as the starting material but it is really a small difference, I repeat the taste is almost the same, it also still has a subtle but very enjoyable relaxing effect. SUPER PLEASANT! ;)

Hope this helps! :D