• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Best way of coming off Lyrica (Pregabalin) / My story

Noseybonk1988

Greenlighter
Hi all

I am new to this forum, having lurked on here for some time to read discussions here and there, i have come to the point where i have decided best for me to get my own story/questions across. This relates to Lyrica (Pregabalin) and any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

To try cut a long story short to explain how i have gotten to this point, i had a severe long term habit of using Tramadol Hydrochloride at very high daily doses to help me deal with severe depression. Over years i had been prescribed more or less every SSRI AD under the sun and not one did a thing to help me recover, instead my depression became gradually worse until my quality of life was suffering dreadfully ..

I had 'accidentally' discovered Tramadol Hydrochloride 50mg tablets during this time period, and found they worked wonders for my depression symptoms. Restoring all motivation within me, and greatly enhancing my mood in general. I was not abusing drugs in any form at the time, apart from taking my recommended dose of whatever SSRI anti-depressant med i was given from my doctor at the time which was not working. I did drink quite heavily as a crutch, but once i had discovered the Tramadol, i found it to be something i would use once or twice a day/night to help me get through the day and get things done, to help deal with my mood and general awful depression symptoms which were making my life a misery to put it mildly. It also stopped me drinking, almost completely which at the time was a huge bonus too.

Obviously being naive and having no understanding of what consequences of addiction and dependence truly meant, i was led into a huge mess. As my tolerance increased, i was on dangerous doses daily and instead of going into further detail, i was hospitalised on numerous occasions due to my pill use. Before long i had to be referred to a support service of which i was prescribed Subutex (Suboxone) 2mg a day which come down to a very low dose, by which time i decided to cease use of Subutex completely as i found this to become a problem as was the Tramadol. I was finding it hard to want to stop it, and i started to enjoy the nice high i got from snorting it. It was just the next problem rather than solution.

I cut all contact with the drug help service (it wasn't rehab, it's just support here in UK) as it really interfered with my job getting time out for appointments, and needing to be certain places at certain times, i couldn't always be home to collect my weekly collection of Subutex and it became a real ball-ache.

Fast forward to this point in time, i have struggled to become 100% free of opioid use. I still have to use small doses of tramadol as i find it impossible to deal with any withdrawals without it really fucking with my schedule. I aren't on high doses, i could space out doses to 100mg every other day but the withdrawals if i don't use anything at all i am just finding impossible to deal with. I haven't got any time to be this ill for a few days.

Which leads me to the Lyrica questions i have currently. I have quite easy access to Lyrica 300mg capsules and found trying this means i don't require the use of Tramadol pills, and i am as careful as possible to make sure this doesn't spiral off into another chronic habit. I can obviously understand that people will just read this as me trading one bad habit for another and the only option would really be a rehab period for some time to be able to truly break free.

I would say that some days i will use up to three 300mg Lyrica pills, some days less. I have found that splitting the pills into smaller doses also is fine, i can put one 300mg pill's content into 3rds and use 100mg maybe twice, three times a day. I only have access to the 300mg Lyrica which is why i am having to chop the doses up myself.

The only issue is, as i am now trying to cut it down and out completely by a certain point in time, the withdrawals just seem to be as horrific as tramadol ones were when i was bang in the middle of a habit of 50mg pills that would exceed sometimes a gram a day. That's a lot of tramadol! Also an extremely dangerous level, but i know im not the only one who has used that much before or still does to this day! There's a lot of abuse of this drug where i'm from and it shocks me i don't know more people who seizured as much as i did on the stuff.

I feel quite happy to say that i have no need or real desire to hammer tramadol pills any more and never will, as long as i could just shake myself off from the Lyrica and gradually get lower until i don't need it at all. I haven't used Lyrica for long, i'd say a few months. up to 900mg a day is a high dose of Lyrica but i'd say i average about 14 300mg Lyrica pills a week tops. I will admit i got to enjoy a part of the Lyrica 'buzz' as well, seems to boost my sex drive massively and i feel once again, less depression symptoms in general. A good mood enhancer, but nothing of a crazy high. It's nothing i mind missing out on though, i really just want to shake this thing off for good.

I can understand i'd have to realistically accept a few nights of pain regardless weaning off anything, but i generally feel fine weaning off things lowering doses quite dramatically and not gradually at slow pace ... It's just the part of me when it all stops that i just buckle all the time, the pain and the symptoms i suffer both physically and mentally are just horrific. I aren't sure if i am on stupidly high doses of Lyrica or what, but i would like to start hearing recommendations or the best advice anyone can give to someone like me. I can imagine many have been in my position before.

Perhaps there's a drug that would suit me over one or two days after i have tapered from the lowest Lyrica dose that will help me nicely. I know it's not going to be a cakewalk. I just find it a bit odd that even when i weaned down from Subs/Tramadol to real low doses, coming off a couple of tramadol pills a day felt just as bad as it did if i ran out when i was going through a couple of hundred a week. A horrific cycle and i'd just like to see it all end. I worry about my job and i also really want to travel the world a bit, things like that in the not too distant future, i know i'm not going to achieve that for as long as i'm in the grip of this cycle. (it was hard enough me getting prescribed subs through Italian customs with a doctor's note for proof recently ha ha)

Apologise for the long, depressing and blabbering post ... I am new to here, just felt it might be a good place for me to try and get some help as i feel like i'm running out of ideas.

Thanks for taking time to read my post and will seriously appreciate any advice, no matter how little it may be. Thanks.

Hey dude tapering off lyrica is usually the last stage of any addiction u don't swap it for another drug u wean off it then ur clean :)

GABAergic drugs are known to be very difficult to get off, but if you drop your dosage by 10% every week, you should be able to avoid most withdrawal symptoms. Most people do it much slower than this, but you said youd rather drop quickly instead of gradually coming off of it.