• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Best poppy plants

Lizkell

Greenlighter
What is the best cultivar of poppy to grow for mood benefits? There is a non-native one that grows along railroad tracks in my area in the east, I've collected some in hopes they are remnants of what Chinese railworkers brought over for medicine. What is the best way to get the good stuff out? Dry the pods or cut while fresh? First post, hope I did this right. Thanks guys:)

P. somhniferum is the only one you want to be consuming, the methods fo making opium should be obvious to anyone practiced in the art (e.g. read wikipedia)

Interestingly, the usda lists papaver somniferum as a documented invasive weed in many states all over the US and canada. I'm surprised this hasn't received more attention

After more reading, I guess the opium poppy is 100% legal to grow in the US (federal law I believe, maybe state laws are different?). OP, you should be able to grow a P. somniferum garden in your back yard... Granted it will technically be illegal for you to harvest any opium.

Yep. We aren't even allowed to grow them in Oz, but fuck em, my best crop was in my front yard years ago. Mostly Persian whites and a Taz variety. Oh how glorious those babies looked in full bloom - "as beautiful as a rock to a cops face".

After more reading, I guess the opium poppy is 100% legal to grow in the US (federal law I believe, maybe state laws are different?). OP, you should be able to grow a P. somniferum garden in your back yard... Granted it will technically be illegal for you to harvest any opium.
Would you mind listing your sources please. I would like to check it out myself if you don't mind,thank you!

http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=PASO2

Here's the usda's information on the plant. Unfortunately I don't have any sound sources attesting to the legality of P. Somniferum--simply because there's no legislation against it. You can buy seeds from very reputable horticulture suppliers and they may even be stocked at your local store. From what I've read, it kind of falls into the same boat as San Pedro cacti. Its all over the place and it's a great, fast growing cactus. However, it contains mescaline--an elicit psychedelic. So unless your blatantly processing your cactus or poppy farm into illegal drugs, there's zero chance that you'll be prosecuted.

Also, P. Somniferum seeds are the seeds you find in poppy seed bagels, cakes, etc. In addition to being called the opium poppy, it's also known by horticulturists as the bread seed poppy.

http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=PASO2

Here's the usda's information on the plant. Unfortunately I don't have any sound sources attesting to the legality of P. Somniferum--simply because there's no legislation against it. You can buy seeds from very reputable horticulture suppliers and they may even be stocked at your local store. From what I've read, it kind of falls into the same boat as San Pedro cacti. Its all over the place and it's a great, fast growing cactus. However, it contains mescaline--an elicit psychedelic. So unless your blatantly processing your cactus or poppy farm into illegal drugs, there's zero chance that you'll be prosecuted.

Also, P. Somniferum seeds are the seeds you find in poppy seed bagels, cakes, etc. In addition to being called the opium poppy, it's also known by horticulturists as the bread seed poppy.
I was afraid you thought I was trying to be a dick but I just wanted to read out of curiosity,thank you!

Also, apparently you can find them planting themselves in your yard (what a nice surprise that would be). The usda lists them as a noxious weed. So I guess it's quite possible that OP really had an opium poppy patch to harvest lol

I was afraid you thought I was trying to be a dick but I just wanted to read out of curiosity,thank you!

No worries. I'm finding it very interesting myself! To think some state governments are banning kratom when you can legally grow opium poppies in your yard

To the OP to harvest the opium do not harvest the pod as it needs to be alive and planted near the end of its life after the petals fall and the center pod fattens to it's fullest where the little crown on top points up and becomes harder than it was... I think two weeks after petals fall, but I might be wrong. Make 3-5 vertical cuts parallel next to one another although not too close to one skiing f along the outside of the pod deep enough to release the latex/milk/raw opium although not so deep you cut through to the inner seed chamber causing a huge loss of opium inside the pod. If the cuts are not deep enough the latex will dry and seal the incisions before they can really bleed. It's best to cut in the morning when they're sun and collect in the evening before the sun sets... I have no experience, but I think you can collect for more than one day

If you collect opium look up cooked opium

Quite certain the plants are illegal to grow or own. I researched it a lot back when I... somewhat cared about the legality. :p
Somniferum, definitely, and probably Turkish, Giganteum, or Hens and Chicks. There are a ton of different cultivars, but if I remember correctly, those are the best for our uses.

They are illegal but most LE is either naïve on what the plants look like or even turn a blind eye to them unless the plants are lanced.Also some poppies such as the California poppy are legal and most LE aren't botanists so again they are naïve!

They are illegal but most LE is either naïve on what the plants look like or even turn a blind eye to them unless the plants are lanced.Also some poppies such as the California poppy are legal and most LE aren't botanists so again they are naïve!
Yeah, that's a good point; the flowers are commonly grown in gardens, making them pretty easy to pass off, but if an authority finds them lanced, it's way more obvious. And they look very similar to a few other (legal) poppy species, so there isn't a whole lot of risk. Personally, I still grow them in the part of my yard that can't easily be seen, but it's probably not necessary.

Well the poppy itself is not illegal, but the illicit substance found in the plant is illegal. Like I said, it wouldn't be unlike growing San Pedro. Unless youre blatantly harvesting the illicit substances in the plant, there's probably a greater chance of being trampled by a buffalo than getting prosecuted.

It is illegal under the opium poppy control act following quoted by Wikipedia It shall be unlawful for any person who is not the holder of a license authorizing him to produce the opium poppy, duly issued to him by the Secretary of the Treasury in accordance with the provisions of this Act, to produce the opium poppy, or to permit the production of the opium poppy in or upon any place owned, occupied, used, or controlled by him. Ok sorry for the edit but this law was repealed in 1970 and as wiki states the laws are vague(no shit) so wtf is it a guessing game?

It's not a guessing game. The plant is technically legal, but alkaloids in the plant are illegal. So if you P. somniferum, you're technically breaking the law, but there's no way you'll be prosecuted unless youre blatantly using them to produce opium. I think it's easiest for the government to just leave it as a grey area unless/until it garners sensationlistic attention

Depends on how you are going to consume them.

For tea I would say tasmanian giants or chicks & hens (both very different from the standar p. somniferum).

for lancing(ie traditional opium making) one of the euroasian cultivars (I'd get poippy seed from a turkish/middle eastern store)

May I have the address for or email for the Turkish//middle eastern store. I would like to order. Thanks