• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Best Food, Drink, or Vitamins to Take Before Opiates?

Yip E. Kyay

Greenlighter
In my mind, the best way to orally consume opiates is a really empty stomach (4+hrs), but after reading some posts and replies here, I'm wondering if there is a food, drink, or possibly a vitamin or supplement that would safely enhance the effects. I've heard pros and cons about grapefruit juice and diphenhydramine, but the conflicting info is confusing!

At the moment, I'm specifically interested in CODEINE (have script for T3s - 300/30), and yes, T3s are pretty lame - but can be fun too, especially if it's all you have.

FYI - I've been around, but somehow magically keeps my opiate tolerance pretty low. Luck of the draw, I suppose.

Thanks!

PS - Is there a place here that has discussions about rec drug use and diabetics, such as any benefits/pitfalls of insulin interactions (low, level or high BS, etc.)? Old diabetic gotta have fun too!

Last edited:
My personal experience is that taking on an empty stomach is what has the biggest effect. I usually eat a light brunch in the morning, a light dinner about 4 or 5 PM, wait 4 hours then dose. Grapefruit juice taken ~30 min before hand will slow down the metabolism which makes the buzz last a bit longer but the problem is that GFJ is very acidic which means that gastric emptying is delayed. This is bad because once you swallow the opiates you want them into your bloodsteam as fast as possible for maximum effect. This is why taking opiates with TUMS increases the effect, the high pH of the calcium carbonate basically tells your stomach to empty into the intestines and so it passes on into your system faster than it would otherwise.

Instead of GFJ I usually use Tagamet (600 mg) which slows down hydro metabolism but doesn't interfere with gastric empytying.

Thank you for your most enlightening and informative reply, Pilll_head! I appreciate hearing the thinking behind your choice! I'll give Tagamet 600 a chance.

Hi Yip, welcome to Bluelight! I find taking these on an empty stomach to give me a belly ache. I don't really take them much nowadays, but if I do I make sure at least I eat a sandwich. Some people report a fatty-ish meal beforehand is good as well as Tagamet.

edit: At Bluelight, we speak in the first person so please edit your post accordingly. Thanks.

Thank you T.! Yes, I've heard of the fatty meal concept before. Could anyone expound on the mechanism(s) that make a fatty meal more desirable than an empty stomach? I wonder if it's the idea that fat creates a better carrier for the active ingredients, much the way fat helps sugars absorb?

And I dropped the SWIM POV of my OP. Thanks again!

With codeine I find that having an empty stomach (overnight is best) then taking chlorpheniramine a half hour before, baking soda with milk ten minutes before (or Tagamet an hour before), then taking the T3s with white grapefruit juice and tonic water, and finally a fatty and spicy snack a half hour after is the best.

Good god, Raysu! I want to catch a little buzz, not change my whole lifestyle! I'd need a flowchart and day planner to hit all those timing points! But I do appreciate your input. I'm definitely gonna try the Tagamet. Thanks!

Also, Raysu, if you're still out there, could I ask why you take chlorpheniramine over a more frequently suggested antihistamine, like diphenhydramine? I use both as a sleep aid from time-to time, and the thought of something making opiates more sleep inducing seems counter-intuitive, to me. But then I've recently read many claim Imodium can be a good opiate potentiater!? So many confusing and contradictory opinions and experiences!

And does anyone know why the "fatty meal" assists in this metabolic process?

Thanks all!

Also, Raysu, if you're still out there, could I ask why you take chlorpheniramine over a more frequently suggested antihistamine, like diphenhydramine? I use both as a sleep aid from time-to time, and the thought of something making opiates more sleep inducing seems counter-intuitive, to me. But then I've recently read many claim Imodium can be a good opiate potentiater!? So many confusing and contradictory opinions and experiences!

And does anyone know why the "fatty meal" assists in this metabolic process?

Thanks all!
I preferred the chlorpheniramine because diphenhydramine gave me restless legs and I found both equally useful. Loperamide is a potentiator because it is an opioid that at high doses crosses the BBB, which is why it is also used in wds as it has a long half life and eases/eliminates symptoms. It became an anti-diarrheal because it has cardiac issues at a dose for painkilling and so it became used in low dose OTC. All opioids/opiates have constipating effects in that way. And (I'm no dietician so someone correct me if I'm wrong here) but I think the fatty part of the meal changes absorption rate to allow for better uptake, and the spicy meal increases blood flow to GI tract for faster collective metabolism.

Good god, Raysu! I want to catch a little buzz, not change my whole lifestyle! I'd need a flowchart and day planner to hit all those timing points! But I do appreciate your input. I'm definitely gonna try the Tagamet. Thanks!

Lol that made me laugh. Yeah he's going a little to far to catch a weak codeine buzz imo

Lol that made me laugh. Yeah he's going a little to far to catch a weak codeine buzz imo
Yeah made me laugh too :) and she (I know my name sounds like a guy) I mean I didn't mind cuz it honestly took all of two minutes prep time and made twice the difference. Pop pills, shot of baking soda and milk, and had brunch. It was the most intense codeine ever got for me and usually it's so subtle a dozen T4s seemed like placebo. This way I could take a third and actually feel the come up.

Thanks ovo1024! But I honestly appreciate hearing Raysu's whole regimen matrix, because if it worked for someone else, there's a good chance it (or some variation) might work for me. And safely squeezing every drop of goodness out of these T3s is the goal, as I appear to have a long running 'script (and refills) for these little guys. So best to make the most of a relatively good thing! :)

personally i enjoy codeine more when on empty stomach, just my case.
if you want to squeeze all of your codeine you could potentiate it with some 1 generation anti-histamine like promethazine.

but keep your dose adjusted, harm reduction is pretty important.

and if you are planning to take regurlaly i would do a CWE (cold water extraction).

big doses of acetominophen daily can mess with your liver.

Thanks for your input, konee, and especially for the CWE reminder! I'm a huge CWE fan. I use a simple and easy technique I found on YT, and I find any lost goody in the process is negligible, and well worth the minimal effort to help save your bod from the many issues of acetaminophen!

Anyone know if you can CWE say a 3 or 4 dose supply of T3s and save the resulting fluid (in the fridge) for a week or so (or at least a few days) to use as desired? Seems like a bad idea, but maybe someone knows the true.

These also depend on which roa you're utilizing.. A fatty meal will have no affect if it isn't oral administration.
watch for 'opioid potentiation mega thread', this thread will give you a ton of info!

- Hopeless Soul