• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

best external HD that hold around 10tb or more

A network attached storage is what you'd need. You can keep it in the corner of your house or whatever and ust access it over the wireless.

There are no hard drives that will handle being smashed around, knocked off tables, etc. That's self-evident to me. SSDs will tolerate it better (no moving parts) but still...

and what's a hard drive warranty?

Usually your data is a total loss, sometimes you can get them to comp you a new HDD. Assuming it hasn't been obviously mangled.

No hard drive manufacturer is stupid enough to guarantee data intergity in every case, and certainly they are not going to pay out any sum for "damages".

what's a network attached storage? an external hard drive? yeah, i need one of those. probably more than one.

Wiki:
Network-attached storage (NAS) is a [...] computer data storage server connected to a computer network providing data access to a heterogeneous group of clients. [...] NAS systems are networked appliances that contain one or more storage drives, often arranged into logical, redundant storage containers or RAID. [...] They typically provide access to files using network file sharing protocols such as NFS, SMB, or AFP. From the mid-1990s, NAS devices began gaining popularity as a convenient method of sharing files among multiple computers. Potential benefits of dedicated network-attached storage, compared to general-purpose servers also serving files, include faster data access, easier administration, and simple configuration.

a 2-bay external RAID with USB3 interface is the only sane option.

2x 10Tb drives in RAID 0 will give you 20Tb total storage at a good speed and with USB3 you should be able to move a tera in about ten minutes.

NAS is similar but not portable and transferring over network would take aeons and also you kind of need some technical know-how just to be able to connect to a NAS, whereas the USB option is just plug and play.

It's still not cheap though, the most cost efficient 10Tb drive is ~$300 so two of those plus the cost of the enclosure will bring you to at least $750-800. You could shave $200-300 off the price by settling for smaller drives. There's not much wiggle room in cost on this kind of thing

802.11g up to 50 mbit
80.211n up to 450 mbit
802.11ac up to 1300 mbit

Last edited:
On paper, 802.11ac compares to cat 5 but in reality the theoretical max for WiFi is wildly optimistic. Aside from losses due to attenuation, interference, protocol overhead, the 802.11ac standard also has various speed tiers that depend on how many concurrent streams the devices can support (i.e. how cheap the vendors have been).

Reliability is also an issue with 802.11ac, like it was with 802.11n when that standard was new. For example, the most popular integrated 802.11ac radio is so hopelessly fubar that there have been more than 20 versions of the driver released trying to patch the problems.

Therein lies the problem with the NAS approach; not only do you have to worry about the storage and file system but also about the networking, which can introduce a lot of potential complications and also costs. 802.11 AC1300 router/APs start at ~$250, for example.

USB3, on the other hand, is a pretty stable standard that reliably does up to 5Gbit/s and it's just plug and play. the HDD transfer rate will impose a bottleneck because they're much slower than SSDs, but a RAID 0 configuration will effectively double the rate and allow for ~200MB/s, or roughly double the rate of moving files to a comparable NAS over cat 5, and >5x faster than over 802.11n

On balance, I think it's the best solution here when considering costs, ease of use and transfer speeds.

What's the practical cable length of USB 3.0? I really don't know as all my USB is under 2 meters.
There's also Thunderbolt (the O P uses Mac). Isn't it like a faster USB, possibly I'm mistaken. I've only used it to connect to an older DAW hardware device quite a while ago, but it was fast and plug and play.

yo.

which does better getting knocked off the desk. because boy, do i knock hard drives off my desk: seagate expansion or western digital elements?

i'm not paying extra for for the ports on the seagate backup plus or the encryption on the western digital my book.

suppose i could wrap either in bubble wrap. which i will do. but there is still the impact.

and what's a hard drive warranty? if if breaks, we determine through arbitration how many fingers the data was worth and a representative from the manufacturer provides those fingers? who selects the representative and which fingers?

thanks
Counting fingers never last very long
And keep your toes for tickytickling