• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Best drugs to fall asleep quickly?

Officerbacon

Greenlighter
Not looking for recreation or fun, in fact I don’t enjoy feeling outta it. I want a drug, of any kind, that will put me to sleep as fast as possible. I don’t want to have to experience life anymore than I must, so I’m looking for something that I can take to stay asleep for many more hours than usual but still leave me able to get up for school. Suggestions?

Quetiapine (Seroquel) if you want to be sure you will be sleeping. Less than 100mg (25-50mg for sleep) and you shouldn't take it if you have responsibilities the day after. Going down in strength but up with addiction potential are benzodiazepines. Midazolam (Versed/Dormicum) is the benzodiazepine that always does the job for me, but any benzodiazepine will do. Watch the doses and type of benzodiazepine (duration if action) cause of "hangover effect". Then to go down a notch are Z drugs. Something like zolpidem will make a person without tolerance sleep but it has it's weird potential effects (sleepwalking and sleepdoing of all kinds). From sedating antidepressants trazodone or mirtazapine come to mind. There is pregabalin or gabapentin but watch out with this ones cause they are long acting and can be addictive (pregabalin especially). If you haven't then you could try melotonin. It could get the job done. If you go waay down in strength you can try valerian tea. I have never tried kava (Piper methysticum) but have heard good things if you can get good quality plants. There's a few options. Hope you resolve your problems. I will not comment too much about reasons why you do not want to be awake, but it seems obvious that you are either depressed or suffering too much from things that are happening to you. If you want to talk PM me or write here. :)

P.S. sleep hygiene is crucial but if you are suffering true insomnia and/or depression then it will not suffice. But it is crucial anyways. If you can get dark room without any disturbance and possibly some relaxing music that could help. I know that you asked for substances but behavioural/environmental part can't hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quetiapine (Seroquel) if you want to be sure you will be sleeping. Less than 100mg (25-50mg for sleep) and you shouldn't take it if you have responsibilities the day after. Going down in strength but up with addiction potential are benzodiazepines. Midazolam (Versed/Dormicum) is the benzodiazepine that always does the job for me, but any benzodiazepine will do. Watch the doses and type of benzodiazepine (duration if action) cause of "hangover effect". Then to go down a notch are Z drugs. Something like zolpidem will make a person without tolerance sleep but it has it's weird potential effects (sleepwalking and sleepdoing of all kinds). From sedating antidepressants trazodone or mirtazapine come to mind. There is pregabalin or gabapentin but watch out with this ones cause they are long acting and can be addictive (pregabalin especially). If you haven't then you could try melotonin. It could get the job done. If you go waay down in strength you can try valerian tea. I have never tried kava (Piper methysticum) but have heard good things if you can get good quality plants. There's a few options. Hope you resolve your problems. I will not comment too much about reasons why you do not want to be awake, but it seems obvious that you are either depressed or suffering too much from things that are happening to you. If you want to talk PM me or write here. :)

P.S. sleep hygiene is crucial but if you are suffering true insomnia and/or depression then it will not suffice. But it is crucial anyways. If you can get dark room without any disturbance and possibly some relaxing music that could help. I know that you asked for substances but behavioural/environmental part can't hurt.
Do you think i could take seroquel at night and take a stimulant in the morning to make sure I am awake when I need to be?

Do you think i could take seroquel at night and take a stimulant in the morning to make sure I am awake when I need to be?
It all depends on dosing. Theoretically if one takes 25mg Seroquel and 12 hours later doubles his usual dose of stimulant medication then the result should be staying awake after stimulant. But this is all a thought exercise. It all depends on your particular body makeup, the way you metabolise drugs, tolerance to drugs you are trying to balance... My advice would be - if you have to be awake in 6 hours don't take Seroquel. But then again if one is coming down from meth binge and wants to take meth to be functional next day then the calculation changes. I have a case of "combinatorial explosion" here. I hope I answered your question. :)

Prescriptions: Zoplicone....Zolpidem.....Benzodiazapenes. Also Anti psychotics like Seroquel and Trazadone. Antihistamines like Hydroxyzine work well too.

OTC : Benadryl, Valerian root, L-Theanine , Kava and kratom.

I'm partial to kratom myself.

Hope you get some sleep.

I'm partial to kratom myself
Wouldn't that need rather high dosing? As kratom is a stimulant up to a point. It would definitely have to be more than 5 grams dose. I love kratom but I don't think it is a good "sleep medication". If one has pain issues and is willing to dose higher (like 6-10G of Red Bali/Borneo/Thai) then "cost-benefit" changes. But kratom at higher dosages and every day use will form a physical dependence. I know that I mentioned benzodiazepines, Z drugs, pregabalin...for which the case of great risk for dependence and painful withdrawal is much higher than for kratkom but... I dont know, it may be a personal preference but kratom is not something that I would recommend for sleep. But I could be wrong. Especially if one is suffering from depression. Then kratom could be a life changer. I am taking kratom but it never occurred to me to recommend it for sleep. Especially the one that is needed (aka knock me out hard and for long duration). If OP is suffering from pain and depression and kratom is legal where he lives than I would say that you might have it on the nail @Pumpkin2021 . :)

I’ll second the seroquel,works great,1 hour seroquel hangover in the morning , the rest of the following day is anxiety free

Wouldn't that need rather high dosing? As kratom is a stimulant up to a point. It would definitely have to be more than 5 grams dose. I love kratom but I don't think it is a good "sleep medication". If one has pain issues and is willing to dose higher (like 6-10G of Red Bali/Borneo/Thai) then "cost-benefit" changes. But kratom at higher dosages and every day use will form a physical dependence. I know that I mentioned benzodiazepines, Z drugs, pregabalin...for which the case of great risk for dependence and painful withdrawal is much higher than for kratkom but... I dont know, it may be a personal preference but kratom is not something that I would recommend for sleep. But I could be wrong. Especially if one is suffering from depression. Then kratom could be a life changer. I am taking kratom but it never occurred to me to recommend it for sleep. Especially the one that is needed (aka knock me out hard and for long duration). If OP is suffering from pain and depression and kratom is legal where he lives than I would say that you might have it on the nail @Pumpkin2021 . :)
I have a friend who avidly uses karatom and describes it as good for anxiety but that’s about it. I think I’m going to try to seroquel as you and others suggested, and will see how I feel in the morning. If I have trouble getting up, I’ll experiment a bit with stimulants to help. Thanks for the opinions!

Cyclobenzaprine
great stuff if used on occasion
abused it does nothing after a couple weeks

Temazepam can be quite quick. I would never personally recommend Ambien as it can be a blackout no memory total disinhibition all sorts of shenanigans and trouble come morning too easily.

If you dont mind me asking, why do you want to drug yourself to sleep? Ik you mention that you dont want to experience more life than you have to but why is that? What's up man?

Oh and for your sleeping beauty drug I'd recommend one of the gbl family of drugs. Supposedly you dont get much of a hangover and they are used for cronic insomniacs and women Cosby wants to sleep with so they work quite well.

Do be careful with gbl tho, imo its quite dangerous. Very addictive, damaging to the body, and withdrawals give you seizures and last for a few weeks.

I'd try and avoid addictive sedatives like Benzos and Z-Drugs. Go for a sedating antihistamine like Promethazine or Diphenhydramine, both of them are OTC too.

Not looking for recreation or fun, in fact I don’t enjoy feeling outta it. I want a drug, of any kind, that will put me to sleep as fast as possible. I don’t want to have to experience life anymore than I must, so I’m looking for something that I can take to stay asleep for many more hours than usual but still leave me able to get up for school. Suggestions?

My personal fave would be taking two 2mg xanny bars. Not sure what dose to tell you since I’m not aware of your benzo experience, but definitely Xanax.

Flunitrazepam
Temazepam
Nitrazepam
Zolpidem Tartrate

In that order is my opinion.

For a little extra nudge alongside the tabs try a hit shower right before bed. For one it's physically relaxing but also the drop in body temperature after being warmed up helps put your body in sleepy mode.

I don't know if people who recommended quetiapine (seroquel) take it continuously or what, but for me it made me feel horrible for ~18hours (including sleep) since ingestion. There are plenty of other sleep-aids that are better than antipsychotics.

I made this post last month about sleep-aids and it will probably educate you more than simply naming drugs/medicine:
Most of these drugs were already covered, but for the sake of clarity we should group them by their pharmacological action:

1. Magnesium (OTC obviously). You might have to test several different forms of magnesium to see which ones makes you most drowsy. Take 100% daily recommended dosage, but obviously not every day as you already get some from food.
2. Melatonin - one of the most mild and non-addictive sleep aids with virtually 0 side effects (OTC)
3. CBD, works well but can be expensive depending on dosages needed (OTC)
4. Weed also has varying degrees of CBD depending on strain and i would group it into the same class, if drug test is not a problem then its cheaper than CBD oil. Also works well
5. antihistamine - this includes doxylamine (OTC), diphenhydramine (OTC), hydroxyzine. Good thing about them you cant get addicted because they stop working after a few days.
6. Baclofen, GHB, phenibut (OTC) affect GABA-B amongst other things. But i'd only use baclofen as a sleep aid personally.
7. Narcotics. they aren't really good for sleep long-term and also risk of addiction.
8. GABA (OTC). Z-drugs, benzodiazepines, carisoprodol affect GABA-A levels and can be a very slippery slope to addiction (except pure GABA).
9. Antipsychotics are prescription only and a lot of them like quetiapine have anthistaminc activity at lower dosages just like antihistamines, so there's really no point. I'd avoid them personally.

So if i had to rank them in order of health or addiction: Some BS plant extract from your pharmacy > Melatonin >Magnesium> CBD > GABA > Weed > Antihistamine > probably baclofen > GHB / phenibut > Narcotics > z-drugs & benzos (addiction)

If everything up to baclofen works then do not go futher imo, because you risk serious addiction.

EDIT: i forgot to add good ol' magnesium. I use trimagnesium bicitrate* (make sure its quality) 100% dose couple of times a week before bed and it makes me noticably drowsy and sleepy. Now if you're going through benzo withdrawal it might not help on its own (but neither will melatonin or CBD), but if some time has passed it will work and you can combine it with other sleep-aids.

I should add another category of gabapentinoids - pregabalin and gabapentin like Sunyecho said. I recently learned some people like to use gabapentin for sleep so i will of course give it a try asap.

Last edited: