• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Best benzo for insomnia?

evo4ever

Bluelighter
Hey all.

Currently I'm taking Nitrazepam for insomnia and it's great, the only problem is its long half life. I still feel a little sedated the next day.

I've heard Lorazepam and Temazepam are good for insomnia too, what do u guys think?

This is a pretty subjective question, so it's hard to answer.
If you're looking for something with a short half life zolpidem or zaleplon might be for you, those two aren't benzodiazepines, but so called z-drugs as the have the same mechanism of action as benzos, but differ in their structure.
But keep in mind that neither benzodiazepines nor z-drugs are for long term use.

This is a pretty subjective question, so it's hard to answer.
If you're looking for something with a short half life zolpidem or zaleplon might be for you, those two aren't benzodiazepines, but so called z-drugs as the have the same mechanism of action as benzos, but differ in their structure.
But keep in mind that neither benzodiazepines nor z-drugs are for long term use.

I've tried the Z drugs and they have no effect on me, alls they do is give me a metallic taste in my mouth..

In this case you could try triazolam as this benzo has a really short half life as well

Nitrazepam has a pretty long half life, but consider that another benzo may not work for you. Midazolam, triazolam and brotizolam are very short lasting, I would advice against triazolam, it should be off the market. Loprazolam, temazepam, lormetazepam, etizolam, lorazepam are all short-intermediate, I would consider these ones since nitrazepam works for you and if you go with a very short half life alternative, you may wake up during the night or even have rebound insomnia. Temazepam is somewhat heavy too, lorazepam is milder but effective. Lormetazopam, loprazolam and etizolam all have a half life roughly 6-10 hours, which makes them ideal, but I don't know what's available in the UK.
I'd also recomend into looking non-benzodiazepine alternatives, just because the dependance on hypnotic benzos is unmatched. In many Asian countries flunitrazepam, temazepam, nimetazepam, midazolam and triazolam can be as controled as opioids, and that's because of the rate of addiction they had over there where they were prescribed a little too freely. So, just be open is what I'm asking. Some antihistamines are very effective.

2 of my friends have taken temazepam for sleep but I don't really know anything about it. They didn't experiencing any bad side effects as far as I know tho.

Definitely triazolam. When I have hardcore insomnia it's the only thing that works & it lasts about 3hrs. Difficult to acquire though. Many do well with diazepam & it never leaves me groggy upon waking despite the long half life, even at really high doses, but it's hit or miss for helping me sleep. Temazepam is decent IME, probably my 3rd choice for insomnia. But it really varies based on the individual. Lorazepam doesn't make me tired at all but is great for anxiety, alprazolam makes me wired & jittery, etc.

Midazolam would work too I bet but never tried it, it's very hard to get.

Nitrazepam has a pretty long half life, but consider that another benzo may not work for you. Midazolam, triazolam and brotizolam are very short lasting, I would advice against triazolam, it should be off the market. Loprazolam, temazepam, lormetazepam, etizolam, lorazepam are all short-intermediate, I would consider these ones since nitrazepam works for you and if you go with a very short half life alternative, you may wake up during the night or even have rebound insomnia. Temazepam is somewhat heavy too, lorazepam is milder but effective. Lormetazopam, loprazolam and etizolam all have a half life roughly 6-10 hours, which makes them ideal, but I don't know what's available in the UK.
I'd also recomend into looking non-benzodiazepine alternatives, just because the dependance on hypnotic benzos is unmatched. In many Asian countries flunitrazepam, temazepam, nimetazepam, midazolam and triazolam can be as controled as opioids, and that's because of the rate of addiction they had over there where they were prescribed a little too freely. So, just be open is what I'm asking. Some antihistamines are very effective.

Why do you think triazolam should be off market? It's by far the best insomnia med, especially great for shorter flights. Btw OP didn't say he was using regularly. I don't know why, but I never suffer withdrawal from benzos, though I am admittedly a freak of nature.

Why do you think triazolam should be off market? It's by far the best insomnia med, especially great for shorter flights. Btw OP didn't say he was using regularly. I don't know why, but I never suffer withdrawal from benzos, though I am admittedly a freak of nature.
Because for an unacceptable porcentage of the population it causes withdrawal during the day, there are also cases in which replacement therapy fails and the patient suffers from seizures. Simply put, it's too potent and it's half-life is too short.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2892212
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1929688
I know they are very poor sources, there are better studies out there, I just feel really sick right now and I can't find anything, try looking at why it was banned in the UK. It has some crazy side effects unique to triazolam.

I'll have to speak to my doctor about it and tell him the effects of Nitrazepam last well into the next day. I'd probably opt for Temazepam as it only has a 12 hour half life correct me if im wrong? I don't think Triazolam is available in the UK.

Nitrazepam's half life is up to 40 hours! But IMO its the best hypnotic/sedating benzo ive ever tried and ive tried loads of benzos. Apart from Triazolam of course.

Last edited:

No I dont use benozs regularly. I'd maybe take them for 3-4 days straight then have a 7 day break.

I've been prescribed temazepam for the past two years or so. It doesn't work so great when used every night and that will happen with any other drug. I find it helpful to switch up meds whenever possible.