• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos

Caylirae

Greenlighter
Would 100mg gabapentin help mitigate a short term, low dose benzo withdrawal? I used xanax occasionally for 4 months, .25mg, but sometimes for 3 or 4 days at a time for sleep. I also used temazepam for 10 days and then again for another 10 days with a break of 2 months in between.

Also, if I were to stop the gabapentin, would I be hit with benzo withdrawals?

With your infrequent dosing/such low doses, you shouldn't have any WDs in the first place. That's not enough alprazolam to create any real dependence. If you were on 4mg a day for a year? Yeah, worry about WDs... but .25mg? I can't even feel a quarter mg even without tolerance, and only every few days? You'll be fine cold-turkeying it to be quite frank.

Gabapentin should mitigate any potential WDs but it has its own WDs which occur more rapidly that I can tell. Both are GABA related and so swapping one for the other should keep any WDs from occurring.

And from my understanding, you will only experience wds from gabapentin at high doses. I think I'm just experiencing high anxiety during a very stressful time

And from my understanding, you will only experience wds from gabapentin at high doses. I think I'm just experiencing high anxiety during a very stressful time
BZDs tend to have rebound anxiety and if you're already at a stressful point, it's easy for that to become overwhelming. Unless you absolutely need them, it's best to avoid frequent use.