• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzos & surgical anesthetic

Emptty

Bluelighter
So I'm scheduled to get my wisdom teeth torn out tomorrow morning while under full anesthesia, I was very clear with my surgeon that I use drugs and we went over what I use and how these things may affect the safety of surgical anesthesia. At the time I had told him I was using cannabis, psychedelics, opioids and amphetamines as those were the only things I had done within the past month. We concluded that as long as I could abstain from cannabis until the surgery and from the other three drug classes for 24 hours beforehand it should be safe.

However we never discussed benzodiazepines and I took a fairly low dose (2mg) of alprazolam tonight. The surgery is in about 9 hours, if this is a problem I do have the ability to call and reschedule it but if it's safe to go ahead and have it done today I would rather do that. My main question is should I be concerned enough to reschedule or ask the doctor for input, or is it likely still safe for me to be put under anesthesia considering how low the dose I took was?

Patients are usually given a low dose benzo before anasthetic in operations to calm them down. I wouldnt worry about it. I had a similar dose last general anasthetic i had. Just dont eat food you need an empty stomach. Youll be fine.

IMO you should tell whomever is performing the procedure. Benzos are proabaly one of the more likely drugs to potentially interfere with the anesthesia. It's possible they'll proceed anyways since (like zephyr said) it's not uncommon to administer a benzo anyways, but I think they need to be aware.

The anasthetic they use isnt massively strong or long lasting for wisdom teeth so honestly I wouldnt be too worried . You can turn down the benzo they offer ore op but its harder to put an anxious person under and will be uncomfortable for you.

It's unlikely to matter, but just tell your doctor that you were/are anxious and took 2 mg alprazolam the night before.

Update: I did decide to go in today and since it's on record for them that I'm a recreational drug user they went ahead and asked if I had used anything within the past 24 hours so I let them know about the alprazolam, doc wasn't happy with me but said it was probably safe to proceed as long as that was the only thing in my system. The surgery went down w/o any problems, I'm home now and doing pretty well.

Hope you got to keep your teeth!

Man I wish!! Got some wicked cool X-rays though. And I still have my baby teeth sitting among my collection of bones and other anatomical specimens so I'll manage without the wisdom teeth =D

They injected me midazolam (Versed), which is a benzodiazepine during my last oral surgery. It was pretty serious though, I had 4 teeth knocked due to being hit by a van as a pedestrian going about 50mph while I was trying to cross the highway.

The surgeon literally had to cut the remaining roots out of my gums, implant little surgical posts inside of them, and stitch them up, so I don't know if they will use the same medication during wisdom teeth extraction since it's not as big or as complicated of a procedure. I have had mine pulled about 10 years ago so don't actually remember.

You will be fine those. You will suddenly wake up in a room hours later with no idea where you were at, how you got there, and who all of the strange people who were there walking around with surgical masks. The only thing that I had remember is that I had some kind of procedure that had to be done that day.

I remember saying, "Damn, that was quick", and they all give me the most exhausting, disgusted looks ever, so I glance at the clock to realize I had been in surgery for approximately 3 hours lol.

I just got my wisdom teeth out too, and I use Xanax. They gave me versed and ketamine and although high as hell I was awake like a mother. Passed in 5 minutes though and everything went fine