• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

benzos necessary for kratom withdrawal??

Pickledlemons

Bluelighter
Been on kratom for 7 weeks now, after 2 years of opiate abuse. I was originally going to quit on the 20th of this month, however I just went on vacation and ended up increasing my dosage, rather than decreasing. So I'm thinking of scrapping my taper idea and going cold turkey in the next couple days. I have a very large supply of xanax and etizolam bars. HOWEVER, on my vacation I was getting in the habit of taking gaba-ergics on probably 70% of days. So xanax, alcohol, phenibut or etizolam. And that lasted two weeks. I did experience a bit of rebound anxiety.

Basically, I seem to be in a perpetual state of switching from one drug to another. I'm afraid another 5 days of consecutive benzo use could push me over the edge. I'm concerned that the rebound anxiety of the benzos will be just as bad as the kratom withdrawal, and I will be prolonging withdrawal. Maybe I would just be better off to suffer through withdrawals with no benzos... what do you guys think?

I also have some methcarbamol, doxylamine, seroquel, imodium and diphenhydamine. I've heard that doxylamine does not worsen restless legs as diphenhydramine does, can anybody confirm or deny this?? My goal is to use medications for no longer than a week. With maybe a sleep aid and acetaminophen as an exception.

Thanks

Been on kratom for 7 weeks now, after 2 years of opiate abuse. I was originally going to quit on the 20th of this month, however I just went on vacation and ended up increasing my dosage, rather than decreasing. So I'm thinking of scrapping my taper idea and going cold turkey in the next couple days. I have a very large supply of xanax and etizolam bars. HOWEVER, on my vacation I was getting in the habit of taking gaba-ergics on probably 70% of days. So xanax, alcohol, phenibut or etizolam. And that lasted two weeks. I did experience a bit of rebound anxiety.

Basically, I seem to be in a perpetual state of switching from one drug to another. I'm afraid another 5 days of consecutive benzo use could push me over the edge. I'm concerned that the rebound anxiety of the benzos will be just as bad as the kratom withdrawal, and I will be prolonging withdrawal. Maybe I would just be better off to suffer through withdrawals with no benzos... what do you guys think?

I also have some methcarbamol, doxylamine, seroquel, imodium and diphenhydamine. I've heard that doxylamine does not worsen restless legs as diphenhydramine does, can anybody confirm or deny this?? My goal is to use medications for no longer than a week. With maybe a sleep aid and acetaminophen as an exception.

Thanks

Did you jump right from traditional opioids to kratom, or did you detox in between? If you detoxed in between then I doubt the kratom withdrawal will be very severe. If not, then, well... you know the drill.

From my experience, benzos almost completely nullify kratom withdrawal, and seeing as kratom withdrawal is pretty damn short in duration, benzos are just about the perfect tool for getting through it. (Though, if your 2 year opioid habit before kratom led directly into kratom, I suppose the duration could be significantly longer.) The problem with what you have is the incredibly short half-life. A longer-acting benzo would be MUCH better to avoid rebound anxiety. With alpraz and etiz rebound anxiety is almost impossible to avoid to some extent. That being the case, phenibut is probably a better option. I'd try to obtain some diazepam or clonazepam and you should be in good shape.

Robaxin (methocarbamol) may indeed be helpful, won't hurt to try. Personally I avoid antihistamines like the plague, as the anticholinergic side-effects are likely to only make the withdrawal worse (doxylamine may not have those qualities? I'm not totally sure)

I'd also personally stay the hell away from seroquel, but that's just me...

Did you jump right from traditional opioids to kratom, or did you detox in between? If you detoxed in between then I doubt the kratom withdrawal will be very severe. If not, then, well... you know the drill.

From my experience, benzos almost completely nullify kratom withdrawal, and seeing as kratom withdrawal is pretty damn short in duration, benzos are just about the perfect tool for getting through it. (Though, if your 2 year opioid habit before kratom led directly into kratom, I suppose the duration could be significantly longer.) The problem with what you have is the incredibly short half-life. A longer-acting benzo would be MUCH better to avoid rebound anxiety. With alpraz and etiz rebound anxiety is almost impossible to avoid to some extent. That being the case, phenibut is probably a better option. I'd try to obtain some diazepam or clonazepam and you should be in good shape.

Robaxin (methocarbamol) may indeed be helpful, won't hurt to try. Personally I avoid antihistamines like the plague, as the anticholinergic side-effects are likely to only make the withdrawal worse (doxylamine may not have those qualities? I'm not totally sure)

I'd also personally stay the hell away from seroquel, but that's just me...

Thanks for the answer. I started kratom 3 days after I stopped opioids... and for about two weeks after that I still had mild withdrawal symptoms which lead me to believe my receptors were down regulating. But then I increased my kratom dose. So if I had to guess, I think I'm probably going to be facing most of my opiate withdrawals this time.

I do have phenibut but I thought it was known to cause withdrawal in a shorter period of time, and more severe withdrawal than benzos. I have about 8 grams in capsules. I am pretty sensitive to it. I usually take 500mg. The most I have ever taken was 1 gram and I was way too high.

Do you really think clonazepam would be noticeably better for this purpose? If so I could order some, but I would have to wait for a couple weeks. Meanwhile I have about 150+ xanax bars. Would swallowing my xanax after eating a large meal possibly extend the duration of effects? Just a thought. I would really rather use what I already have.

Thanks.

Well, for the record... I used loperamide and xanax. For the lope the first day I took 12 and every subsequent day took away 2. Soon enough I was forgetting to take them. For 4 days I used the xanax just to help sleep. .5mg -1mg along with doxylamine. Last night was my first night without any xanax. I slept, albeit disturbed... a lot better than nothing. Other than that this has been a very easy experience. The only serious symptom was restlessness and today (day 6) I feel fine.

Congrats on getting off. What dose of kratom were you on and what dose of opiates were you taking before? I?m just curious because i CT?d off of a 13-18 gram per day kratom habit back in january and it wasn?t nearly as bad as i thought it?d be.

I started with 15g of kratom a day. near the end I wasnt even weighing it anymore.
. I was just taking 4 heaping tablespoons a day. if I had to guess 30 - 40 grams a day.

For opiates I was either on 5mg suboxone or a lot of fentanyl. I dont know.. hard to estimate how much it was. Enough that I would black out and forget entire weeks.

All that considered I'm surprised I got out so painlessly. because CT fent withdrawal is absolutely the worst thing you can imagine.

Hey truenamebrand sorry for the months later reply but your post was helpful and I would love some clarifications:
- what's wrong with serequel? Was thinking of trying it for insomnia.
- What do you mean by if you're quitting kratom after using it to come off years of opiates "you know the drill"? I have been on it 4 months after 6 months subs which in turn was after 5 years H.
I quit Kratom 2 weeks ago and could not believe how bad it was still one week in, indeed with new symptoms: numb and prickly / sore arms and anxiety. I'm starting to think that I have extreme physically addictive responses to comfort meds, and even 5 days of xanaz, clonidine or gabapentin caused a wothdrawal. I also took a 5mg hydrocodone 1-2 times a day for 5 days. Could that be it?

I hate how hard it is to figure out what meds are doing what, buy no meds is even worse!
I gave up on 9th day and used the amount of Kratom I had tapered down to--10 g / day. I thought I had been experiencing Kratom withdrawal but been on it now another week and hasn't removed arm situation or mood. To complicate things further I took Ambien for the first 13 days and stopped to save some, and have had panic attack, bad anxiety (in addition to insomnia). I just can't believe how sensitive I am to all these meds and have no idea what to do next. Took .5 Xanax for second straight night after trying to sleep for 3 hours and am terrified if I take it again I'll be screwed yet again.
Thanks for listening!