• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Benzos and DREAMS

casual-eater

Bluelighter
Today I want to discuss with you guys something that usually happens when I take Benzos before going to sleep especially in my dreams.
Since my early first use of benzodiazepines (I got prescribed Alprazolam for sleep disorder and anxiety.) I immediately noticed some differences in the content of my dreams (Something similar to what I've experienced when I stopped smoking weed daily.) and this night the effect was so evident, constant and clear that I decided to write a post since I can't find any other data online (Except this https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12487/) let me explain.

Usually when I'm dreaming on benzos everything makes sense in my dreams, there is a sort of general sense in the content (almost like a trip), and yes as stated in the article I feel kinda more aggressive, conscious, more aware of my surroundings and what is happening and also a little bit more sexual oriented. And usually I don't notice I'm dreaming and if I do I immediately forget it.

Now, I don't have any clue of what dreams are, my speculations are based on what I studied in highschool with Freud and, even if his conclusions were approximated, sometimes wrong and not so conclusive, I still refer to his works when i try to understand dreams and the ego defenses, that are lowered during REM phase. (if you are interested, I highly suggest you to read some of his works.)

So based on what benzos should do to our mind: relaxation, anxiety relief, calmness, inhibition and the ability to 'kill' trips everything makes sense to me since I consider dreams, in a manner similar to Freud's idea, like not so well programmed trips where imagination and self-realisation play an important role in the dream's content.

Plus if I don't take a medium-large dose sometimes I wake up for a second and when I return to sleep I am exactly in the same situation where I left and the 'trip' goes on pretty fast in comparison to dreaming while sober.

Maybe it is just because I'm a newbie in benzo (I don't think) but this is what I experienced, please let me know in the comments if you had similar experiences also making references since there is little to no data on the Internet.

Peace.

Benzos can effect dreams. Everyone is different. They may stimulate or kill yours. You have other neurotransmitters that can effect your dreaming. If your a noob to bentos, you need take your alprazolam as prescribed ,first off. If you are having issues , you should mention that to your doctor. Your brain will get used to the bentos soon enough.

They tried using diazepam for sleep with me once and I had a five-hour lucid dream about a leprechaun trying to frame me for ripping off some gold and platinum bars, then the next night it was what turned out to be an accurate, moderately-detailed precognitive/co-incidental dream about a psychiatrist in town getting busted for having a kilo of C-Jam and an unregistered Glock and two sawn-off scatterguns in the boot of his car a couple of years later.

Something someone told me around this time is that she thought that precognition definitely exists, as do retrocognition and remote viewing, and they, or forms of them, may not be supramundane at all and available to just about everybody via yoga, holotropic breathing, some drug effects perhaps, other techniques known by folks ranging from mystics in all of the Abrahamic religions and Eastern ones as well to occultists as well as some scientists of old . . . but for those in a bigger hurry, maybe lots of hyperventilation or an exceptionally prolonged bout of shouting may allow the veil to fall back for a fractions of a second . . .

But I felt like shit the whole week -- I think it was a metabolic incompatibility because the skeletal muscle relaxant tetrazepam and the general purpose benzo nitrazepam worked fine for me, but non-benzodiazepines always worked best for sleep -- I had an old bottle of Codeonal, a codeine-based barbiturate, in the medicine cabinet when I was young and it worked great, so combining codeine and Dial, the barbiturate, worked very well, as did meprobamate, glutethimide, secobarbitone, methyprylon, ethchlorvynol, clomethiazole, methaqualone, all that good stuff.

Last edited:
Benzos definitely affect dreams. For me it usually seems to be some conscious/un-conscious thing related to my overall well being. Now benzo withdrawal dreams are a fucking weird nightmare most of the time.

When I take the occasional bromazolam for sleep I either don’t dream or don’t remember my dreams. I’m normally a very vivid dreamer.

Yeah exactly, however I did not want to put everything on a personal level but only discuss about the quality, duration and self-realisation of the dream. Since when sleeping sober many parts of the dream are repeated because of the disorientation and the general non-linear evolution of the dream.

And yes, weed always adds more confusion, sleepiness and difficulty to remember What dreamed. I suppose that since the body consider it as poison (as all other substances) it tries to balance the effect enhancing the content and the power of the dream so when you abruptely stop smoking the balance is broken and in the first dreams are on an other level.

However back to the ansiolitic effect of benzos these might be, in my opinion, the reason why the progression of the dream is much more linear and less confusing. Just guessing.