• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos and Codeine

Calipo

Greenlighter
Hey guys, in the effort of harm reduction just wanted to ask your opinion on mixing say 400-500mg codeine and 10mg xanax. I also wanted to know if one could throw around 25mg promethazine in the mix for it's anti-histamine and sedative qualities.

Thank you.

First of all what is your tolerance to all of these drugs? I'm guessing from your stated codeine dose that your tolerance to that substance at least is quite high? Xanax will increase and potentiate the effects of the codeine and can certainly add subjectively to the 'buzz' if you're looking for a more staying horizontal and nodding off in apathetic downer bliss kind of evening. In terms of harm though combining benzodiazepines such as Xanax and other CNS depressants with codeine does substantially increase the risk of respiratory depression which can lead to death. Even though you will doubtless see people saying that have done double that and had a great time, the doses you have stated, especially with the promethazine thrown in is getting into risky territory. I would recommend taking 1/2 - 2/3 of your regular codeine dose and .5mg Xanax to start out, and if you have no tolerance to codeine to substantially lower your dose. Although I have never combined these with promethazine, the Xanax and codeine combination will already be sedating enough so personally I don't think it's worth taking the promethazine with it considering the increased risk. I would just take a non sedative anti histamine to counter the histamine release of the codeine if you're doing above 300mg, or just take a regular therapeutic dose of promethazine if you are taking it. Also if you are adding the promethazine I would definitely recommend only taking half of your regular codeine dose your first time trying it.

Stay safe!

Last edited:
Also just reread your post there and really hope you mean 1mg Xanax and not 10mg. 10mg Xanax combined with that dose of codeine would be extremely dangerous.

Also just reread your post there and really hope you mean 1mg Xanax and not 10mg. 10mg Xanax combined with that dose of codeine would be extremely dangerous.
Oh sorry I mean't Vals not xanax ahahaha! I have a high tolerance to both. Thank you for replying!

Haha phew, thank god. Personally I find Valium synergises better with codeine than Xanax anyway. If you have a high tolerance to both then you should be alright, but I'd still reduce your regular dose you would take individually of each a little though as they do potentiate each other and add to said respiratory depression. 500mg of codeine and 10mg of Valium is a very high dose, if 500mg is your normal codeine dose I wouldn't go above 400mg with the Valium, even less if you want to be safe (most people would say half your regular codeine dose). Also there's no harm starting out with a smaller dose of Valium to test the water, just take half and you can always take more later, but I certainly wouldn't go above 10mg with that dose of codeine.

Hope this helps.