• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Benzos, Alcohol and Opiates

jonmrk

Greenlighter
I’m a 46 year old addict, in general. I drink nightly, so I’m a functioning drunk, I take benzos, on occasions, to calm my nerves, but my DOC is opiates. RN, I’ve only been on Suboxone, for maintenance and drink my beers at night. No Xanax, no strong opiates since prob a month ago? Anyway.. I’ve really been struggling with foggy brain and shakiness, during the day. It’s hard to describe, but I struggle to think like I used to and almost a small issue will give me an anxiety attack. During the night, in bed and randomly, during the day, I’ll have uncontrolled jerks. And I know: what I’ve done to myself over the years, you get what you deserve, but I’ve always been able to be ok with 8-10 beers at night, suboxone in the am and I’m good. Anyone else go through this and did it go away? Is it from drinking beer still? I’m not drinking liquor. Or is it from taking Xanax for a couple months? I would take .5-1.0mg a day or at night, not both. But, I took them for 2-3 months straight. So, I’m thinking that’s what’s going on. I know you’re not licensed Dr.’s, but if anyone else has experienced this, please tell me what you did to cope and if it went away and how. Thank you!

Taking opiates alcohol and benzos together is a good way to straight up die. I have on a few occasions done this mix with low dose opiates and benzos and it always ended in a fucking puke fest for me. Do you get the xanax prescribed? It sounds like you may be getting alcohol wd.

What i would suggest is giving up alcohol with the help of a doctor of course and getting on a stable dose of subs and xanax if you can do that. Also xanax is far from the best benzo for alcohol wd as something like Valium with a longer half life would be better. Alcohol wd is absolutly nothing to fuck with however so do it under the supervision of a doctor.

You could also be getting some benzo wd as xanax has a very shot half life. Either way the combo your currently on is not generally a recipe for longevity

If your sleep is disrupted due to Benzo withdrawal (or alcohol withdrawal, or missing the strong opiate buzz), that could surely make you foggy.

Brain fog, anxiety, shakiness, hypnic jerks are all caused by alcohol. 8-10 beers is a lot and will catch up to you after so many years. Doesn't matter if it's not liqour, that is alcoholism. I am an alcoholic and these symptoms are very familiar to me.

It's not benzo withdrawal if it's been a month since you took any.

In fact I would encourage you to go back on benzos and quit alcohol. You will live longer. 1mg xanax is a lot healthier than 10 beers.

It's really hard to say what the problem here is. If you want an opinion though, I have one. The fact that you're dinking 8-10 drinks fairly regularly, yet still need Benzodiazepines to "calm your nerves" is telling. I believe you're likely experiencing some form of withdrawal from one of these substances. Inter-dose withdrawal is a term used in medicine for the phenomenon.

There could be a different explanation. This is the most logical and likely though if you ask me. I think you're probably just making the slow(ish) descent into serious sedative.hypnotic dependency. This is how it goes for a lot of people. Their "nerves" are getting a little more excited each day, necessitating a little more booze every day. The end result is typically a full-blown dependency in which you need to consume to prevent illness, but even being drunk doesn't give you any positive effects.

You asked specifically if 3 months of usage with Benzodiazepines would be sufficient to produce withdrawal and the answer is yes. Taking consistent dosages for even just a couple of weeks can produce a significant rebound effect

I know you didn't ask for help with sobriety. I still think it's worth mentioning that Buprenorphine (Suboxone) is not truly working as a maintenance drug if you are required to take copious amounts of sedatives to feel okay. In terms of basic health, you would probably be better off just taking your DOC Opiates instead of messing around with Buprenorphine, Alcohol, Benzos etc. I'm not advocating this move, but it's some serious food for thought. It might be time to reconsider things