• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Benzos after phenibut

Mch1

Bluelighter
I like to dose 1g of phenibut a couple times a week. When the phenibut starts to where off, I want to keep the high going. I've thought about taking some lorazepam. My question is, does anyone know how much the phenibut would potentiate the benzo? Could this work, or would it just lead to blackouts and depressed breathing? Anyone have experience combining the two or taken them closely together? Thanks

Ive never really noticed phenibut potentiating benzos. But thats probably because I always take enough for a great buzz anyways.

A gram is not a big enough dose to worry about about overdosing or anything. Ive taken 3 plus grams and xanax many times and it was fine.

does anyone know how much the phenibut would potentiate the benzo?
It is my experience that phenibut will "potentiate" most anything. As long as one keeps dose in a reasonable range, time the come up(s) of substances taken and have patience phenibut can create "custom" effects for each and all.
Phenibut (and most other gabapentinoids - if applicable) usually takes ~5 hours to "hit" me soooo... say I ingested 1-1.5g phenibut at 12 midnight; at ~4:30 AM I might eat .5-1mg alprazolam and by 5-5:30 AM I would feel fairly carefree, social and upbeat (maybe because the stress is removed from ones environment?).
All this is just hypothetical and sometimes acted out. Not nesearilly benzos but that and other stuff.
As long as one does not take "too much" of each substance all should be well. If dosing goes above a certain amount of any/all ingredient(s) one can expect a sleepy and possibly dangerous situation. Remember that "potentiating" means basically to multiply effects so some sums may come out in the red and the black is no longer an option.
would it just lead to blackouts and depressed breathing?
Something like that....
If one takes too much the buz will suck as it may not be what one was expecting and once ingested these chemicals will have lasting effects. One can always take more or a different mix in the future if one takes care today. ;)
Be safe,
Love
6am

This is a topic I've actually had on my mind quite a bit recently. I'm a user of Gabapentinoids myself and understand how they work pretty well. I've also used plenty of Benzodiazepines in the past and feel pretty confident in my subjective interpretation of both. I've read many articles that have tied Gabapentinoids to poly-drug overdoses, but it's not actually a causality thing, it's just that Gabapentinoids were present in their body upon their death. I'm almost certain that there will be increased sedation when combining Gabapentinoids and Sedative/Hypnotics like Benzodiazepines; Barbiturates; Alcohol. I just am unsure oh how this combination compares to a combination like Opioids/Sedative-Hypnotics, which we all know to be pretty dangerous.

I've done a lot of research on the subject for both myself and everyone on here and unfortunately, I haven't been able to come up with anything that I can actually take to the bank regarding the safety or potentiation of this. In my subjective experience, combining Gabapentinoids and Benzodiazepines has definitely led to what I would consider synergy. You can definitely end up more "intoxicated" but the main issue that I'm unsure of is respiratory depression. Like I said, I've read a lot about it, but there is still a ton of conjecture.

Does anybody think this might do better in the pharmacology sub-forum? I'll leave it up to the original poster.

the main issue that I'm unsure of is respiratory depression
Great point.
I would like to add that an "over-dose" (taking more than the prescribed dosage) of gabapentinoids - mainly pregabalin - has worried my wife a few time. She has woken me up, asked about it the next day (if remembered) and expressed her worries about my "breathing problems" when asleep. Come to think about it it has happened on a prescribed dose of 150mg pregabalin... this seems to be more of an issue if I take it before bed and I think that the effects "kick in" while I am in a deeper sleep state which maybe causes the respiratory issues... IDK for sure just conjecture as aforementioned. If I dose pregabalin earlier - say 12 noon - by 4 or 5 pm I'm feeling it and this will last ~24 hours usually with no reported worries from SO about breathing patterns.
Benzos (real ones) do no have as much effect on my respiration no matter time or dose taken. My breathing, heartbeat and blood-pressure are naturally in the low range for human and it would have to be noticeably out of character or out of sync for wife to bring it up. She never has with benzos.
Now... a coupla times mixing heavier opioid and benzo cocktails has seen her by my side performing some kinda magical recovery rites that sees me back on my feel and prowling for food. It was a dark time and we have healed although scarred again. I swear if it wasn't for her I may have seen my age thirty prediction of end-of-life or expiration. Who knows but I do know what I know. :) This cmbo has had me closer to deaths door than any other... may have crossed and came back? Maybe I am still there? Maybe I am everywhere? WTF?
All that to say that mixing anything can create a potentially deadly mix. If everyone has different experiences with the same substance who is to say what is and what is not a "safe" dosage for any/all. Even our professional prescribers get it wrong and there is loss of life; just sayin. Obviously what "works" for me may or may not work for others and it could be toxic or fatal to all.... 🤷‍♀️
Maybe all this should be in a personal trip report but just sharing examples and experiences. Do not take any of what I post (other than harm reduction content) as a gospel other dilly-dalliance; it is only words dredged up from a dusty, dark and spooky closet-corner.
Be safe and stick around?
Not sure if any welcome was performed or not but would like to offer that warmly. Thanks for bringing this up as it and KR reply has brought some memories back that must be dealt with. It is about time and am grateful to you both.
Always
<3