• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzoctamine

keeping

Bluelight Crew
'Benzoctamine is a drug that possesses sedative and anxiolytic properties. Marketed as Tacitin by Ciba-Geigy, it is different from most sedative drugs because in most clinical trials it does not produce respiratory depression, but actually stimulates the respiratory system. As a result, when compared to other sedative and anxiolytic drugs such as benzodiazepines like diazepam, it is a safer form of tranquilizing. However, when co-administered with other drugs that cause respiratory depression, like morphine, it can cause increased respiratory depression.' (1)

'Benzoctamine (Tacitin) belongs to a new chemical class, the dibenzobicyclo-octadienes.1 In animals it inhibits aggressiveness without impairing alertness, and reduces muscle tone by depressing the motor fibres to muscle spindles.2 The makers claim that it reduces muscle tension in humans.' (2)

'Benzoctamine has been found to have the same efficacy as chlordiazepoxide when treating anxiety neurosis.' (3)

has anyone here ever had any experience with this drug?
its been mentioned in medical journals since the 70's but appears to have never really made much of an impact - i wonder why?
apparently its one of the Dibenzo bicyclo octadiene derivatives (whatever they are)
and doesn't appear to even be scheduled yet and shows a lot of promise as a non addictive sedative

was just looking for more info on the subject, and i know 'non-addictive' has been the famous last words of many drugs but still, this one really really piqued my interest 8)
i also found this super cute Tacitin retro clipboard! =D
s-l1600.jpg

(source 1)
(source2)
(source 3)

Last edited:
I dont understand why it works.

Also alot of the sources use really low dose diazepam or straight up have no text just a title.

As effective as 5 - 10 mg diazepam doesnt impress me especially since that dose is so low im not even sure you can draw conclusions and at those doses diazepam wouldnt likely cause respitory depression either

It hasn't made much of a splash because it isn't recreational, and to be frank, there are drugs that do a better job at what it does. While we know a very small amount about it, rat trials seem to indicate it has no action as a GABA modulator (which already makes it less addictive then Benzo's). From what I can see, it works primarily as a antagonist for dopamine and norepinephrine, which would explain it's sedative properties.

Isnt that already done by antipsychotics and sounds kinda dangerous to give to depressed patients without overwhelming evidence it is beneficial sounds to me more like a antipsychotic subsitute for sedating patients making them more managable for unstaffed and overwhelmed sleepless staff after they got a bad wrap