• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

benzo dose for sleeping for flight phobia

offirs

Greenlighter
hi , i have flight phobia and im about to fly 12 hours in 2 days.
i have both xanax and clonex , and melatonin.
just wonderd what would be a good doce to take to fall asleep for sure / which should i take .
have low tolerance - not using those on basic.
thoght about to take about 4mg of melatonin 1.5 hour before flight and half an hour before 1.5mg of xanax or somthing but im pretty sure it wont last to much time (xanax) .

thanks.

Xanax will kick in faster and harder, but definitely won't last the whole flight (IMHO, the ideal benzo for that would probably be Valium, taken just before boarding), while Klonopin will last closer to the 12 hours you want. Neither are generally particularly good sleeping aids however, even less so when your obstacles also include noise and jet-lag; they're mainly meant to reduce anxiety rather than really make you sleep. To knock yourself out, even with no tolerance, you're probably looking at at least 2mg of either (and you'll almost certainly have to redose if it's Xanax), depending on your weight. The big problem with this method is that these sorts of doses are just as likely to fuck with your judgement and give you blackouts/amnesia for most of the flight without necessarily getting a second of actual sleep, and acting or appearing intoxicated on a plane is typically a very bad idea.

Do you fly regularly, say, for work? If so, it might be a good move to look at ways of overcoming your anxiety without having to resort to benzos; it would be daft to develop a benzo addiction because of flying. As a first step, try to identify the precise nature of your phobia, and possibly where it comes from; is it a fear of heights, is it claustrophobia, or something else entirely?

i am not flying regulary .
sadly for this flight i do not see any other option .
im a calm man and most likely that ill just sit down and try to sleep or panic to death with my self even when im intoxicated or somthing , with out any problems .
i weight 135 pounds. is it posssible to take , 1.5-2mg xanax + 4mg melatonin , and repeat it again if i wake up?
thanks again!.

Why don't you try taking a bit of Xanax tonight to familiarize yourself with the effects?

If you have no tolerance, then i think 1mg or more of either Xanax or klonopin will probably put you out, maybe even .5mg. It may wear off after a few hours (especially if you took Xanax) but you might continue sleeping.

Melatonin is basically nothing compared to the other two, so don't think that like if you take some melatonin you should take less benzos, or that they could interact. I probably wouldn't even bother with the melatonin, but it can't hurt.

well the purpose of xanax is to treat anxiety, which is basically what your fear of flying boils down to, you're anxious about it. xanax isn't intended to knock you out, although it is a side effect, obviously. you'd be surprised how well it works without putting yourself into coma.

Just take .5 mgs of xanax or 1mg and youll be sleeping. Kpin doesnt really make you that sleepy compared to xanax or something. If you decide you wanna be awake but without anxiety id recomend the kpin at about 1mg to 2mg

I remember back to April 2009 when I was first prescribed Diazepam (Valium) for my fear of flying. I was given a total of 16 mg (8 x 2 mg Diazepam tabs) for two 12 hour flights. I done some research and decided I should buy some more as that wouldn't be enough. I can't remember exactly how much I took that first time, but it did the job! For a short time I managed to keep it relatively sensible, 40 mg Diazepam for long haul flight, 2 - 4 mg Alprazolam (Xanax) for a short haul flight. Always knocked me out cold! A fair few times I woke up to find most of my in-flight meal thrown all over myself (And on some occasions, a few other displeased fellow travellers!)

6 months later I developed a pretty hardcore Benzodiazepine addiction, bingeing on up to 300 mg of Xanax a weekend at one point. Thankfully now I'm on a sensible dose and tapering (Currently using 4 mg Flubromazepam per day) Was on between 5-10 mg Diazepam per day before I ran out and swapped over to the Flubromazepam 5 days ago.

Anyways, moral of the story. Somebody with your tolerance should take around 2 mg Xanax and wait and see if it knocks you out. Or take 4 mg of Xanax which should almost certainly knock you out, but because you don't want to be waking up and having to redose then maybe take the 2 mg Xanax with some Clonazepam (Presuming that's the only other Benzo you can get) so therefore even though by itself, the Clonazepam isn't that sedating, taken alongside the Xanax, it should help keep you sedated slightly even as the Xanax wears off. Personally for me, when I had little - no tolerance, Xanax would knock me out for a good 4-6 hours and would have for probably longer had I used it solely on a long haul flight as I'd be feeling it for a whole day back then even though it's got a short half life.