• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzo and anti-histamine cross tolerance?

Mugwin

Greenlighter
Hi,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't find an answer anywhere on google. Basically, I have anxiety issues and the only thing which works for the anxiety is benzos (valium, specifically) and because they're really addictive I never want to take them unless absolutely necessary.

I also have trouble sleeping occasionally. I don't want to take the benzos for the insomnia. I want to save them for the panic attacks. Today I bought a pack of Nytol, a UK sleeping aid. The active ingredient is an anti-histamine called diphenhydramine.

I was just wondering, is there a cross-tolerance between sedating antihistamines like diphenhydramine and benzos? Like, if I use the nytol, will that increase my tolerance for valium and vice-versa? I get that they're completely different drugs but since I don't know how either of them work, I thought it best to check before taking the nytol as I REALLY don't want to build up a tolerance to the valium.

Thanks in advance.

anti histamines affect the H-1 receptors while benzo affect the gaba a receptors
so no they will not cross tolerate
anti histamines such as hydroxyzine and promethazine IME work well for my anxiety with little to no side effects been using it hydroxyzine for about 2 months for allergies and anxiety, if i miss a dose no rebound anxiety or anything serious
OTC benadryl will work as well not as good as hydroxyzine or promethazine but may provide anxiety relief
only major side effect to an AH is sleepyness (goes away after a few days of taking it) but not as extreme as what a benzo can cause

IMO a anti histamine is a good alternative to a benzo

I have been using hydroxyzine, temazepam and alprazolam for months now. I do not notice any increase in tolerance nor physical dependence.

Hi Mugwin, welcome to Bluelight. One thing I might recommend for anxiety is Lyrica. I have found that this does take the edge of my anxiety and it is not as habit forming as the benzodiazepines. It is a schedule 5 drug but there are no withdrawals like with the benzos. Typical dose is 150-300 mg a day.