View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Benylin DM Cough Syrup - 500ml

shawnechlin

Greenlighter
Hello, in my small town in Canada the only available DM syrup is the Benylin brand. The only active ingredient listed is Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide at 5mg/ml. I have purchased 2x 250ml totaling in 1500mg of DXM.
Nonmedicinal ingredients include: Citric Acid, Glycerin, Menthol, Polyethylene glycol, sodium benzoate, sodium carboxymethylcellulose, sodium citrate, sodium cyclamate, sorbitol.
Is it safe to consume 500ml of this brand of syrup? Or is the extraction process the way to go?
I do not plan on trying this often, but I'm yearning for spiritual discovery, and in small towns psychedelics are hard to come by. I've seen a source or two claiming that guanifisen is included in these syrups, yet the Benylin site/bottle claim no such ingredient. I'm approximately 200lbs as well. Reaching the higher plateau would require me to take around 1200-1500mg of syrup as suggested on Erowid's database.

Hey, welcome to BL / PD :)

I'd say if DXM is the only listed active ingredient you are good to go. Still, inactives like ay sorbitol can do *something* like be laxative in sorbitol's case.

Maybe there are different types of Benylin formulations, some of which contain guaifenesin and others don't - that seems like a reasonable explanation for any confusion.

This is a thread usually destined for basic drug discussion - obviously what you did as first poster is perfectly fine and understandable <3 good luck with the tripping, but always start with a lower plateau trip, like 300 mg DXM worth. Some people (about 10% of caucasians) are hypersensitive to DXM because of an enzyme deficiency... they need much smaller doses. You do NOT want to find that out your very first time.
Also, a lot of people find DXM unclean or rough on the body. Always get a feel for a drug first, that goes double for DXM.

if it is the first time you try it, have a test dose at least a week before, so you know what to expect more or less. anyone who has try this or other drugs will assure you that usually they are nothing like you expected them to be after just reading about them

It won't hurt you to try 300 milligrams a week before, so you know what to expect when you take the rest.