• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Belsomra (Suvorexant) experiences-- Has anybody tried it yet??

theGirlWithBlueHair

Bluelighter
I was wondering if anybody out there has had a chance to be lucky enough to come across some suvorexant (Belsomra) and could share their experiences both recreatonal and medical with the drug. I am highly interested in this chemical and the way it works (being a completely New method of action for insomnia on the market). I want to know what effects and experiences you lucky people have encountered with it (in detail if you could) :).

And the DEA scheduled because of similarities in depressant effects to zolpidem (ambien), but I'm under the impression they're being fuck tards again (like they were for Belviq and Vimpat) because it supposedly causes sleep paralysis and hallucinations... And I believe the hallucinations, via orexin antagonism is most likely drug induced hypnogia and hypnopompia. Can anybody confirm this? If so, the DEA shouldn't even have scheduled it because I can get sleep paralysis and hallucinations from 500mg of pyridoxal-5-phosphate (active coenzyme form of b6).

I have tried it once and hyponogia is a good description of its effects. I felt calm and a odd sense of overall detached content, but while I did feel sleepy, it never fully pushed me to sleep. I was just in this weird half asleep, half awake state. It wasnt unpleasant in anyway, rather enjoyable actually. It did remind me of my early or higher dose Ambien experiences though.

Belsomra has zero abuse potential but thankfully minimal addiction potential, it isn't very powerful at all though (If I remember correctly they proved efficacy using 40mg but the highest approved dose is 20mg, supposedly the drug reps are telling people that it works much better at 20mg than 10mg). There was a trial going around for 10 free pills from Belsomra.com. During the first couple weeks most people get vivid dreams but these do go away. It has a long disassociation half life (80 minutes) from the orexin receptors so I personally think it should be taken a good hour before bed to ramp up antagonism at the orexin receptors. For many people whose reviews I've read online it has zero effect or they have a bad reaction but I'm convinced that 95% of those people are either withdrawing from a GABA drug because they're using it instead of Ambien for the first time, or don't know how to actually quiet their minds to let sleep come (they're too used to being knocked out by a GABA drug). In other words, if you take Belsomra and try to stay up, its dead easy. Its nothing like a GABA drug in that regard, it doesn't knock you out or dull your intellect in any way. But it does seem to allow sleep to happen easier. I think the DEA was being retarded when they scheduled it too.

I personally get less sleep paralysis while on it (typically a couple times a week thing for me), which mechanistically makes sense because the whole idea behind sleep paralysis is that part of the brain is being too wakeful. I did get more hypnagogic hallucinations at the beginning though.

I'd like to try this drug and hear experiences, also.

What's the half life compared to IR zolpidem? (Which is very short). How quick is the onset? Does it require an empty stomach (ie does food or lack thereof play as crucial of a role as with zolpidem)?

Yeah, Belsomra is awesome. I made a thread about it a while ago.

I was given a free sample of 6 20mg pills. It's definitely the most effective sleeping medication I've ever tried (and I have tried quite a few.) 10mg is enough to knock you out like a light in ~15 minutes. I was gonna get this one prescribed, but the copay for it would have been $150 per month after insurance...so I'm just sticking to my Clonazepam instead (which is $2.37 for 60 .5mg pills, lol.) It's nowhere near as effective as a sleep aid but the anxiety killing aspect is a huge plus.

EDIT: For those looking for experiences, I'm afraid I have nothing too interesting to report. I did not try a recreational dose (I think the highest dose I took was 20mg but honestly 10mg is more than enough for your first time.) I don't think this chemical has any recreational value. It kicks ass at getting you to fall asleep, and in my case it gave me some very strange dreams, but that's about it. Great for insomniacs, but if you're looking for a recreational drug turn elsewhere.

I'd like to try this drug and hear experiences, also.

What's the half life compared to IR zolpidem? (Which is very short). How quick is the onset? Does it require an empty stomach (ie does food or lack thereof play as crucial of a role as with zolpidem)?

Half life is 12 hours, but somehow doesn't leave me at all groggy in the morning, can be taken without food just fine

Supposedly suvorexant is highly water soluble. Has anybody tried it intranasally? And I guess it is as I suspected. Another drug that shouldn't be scheduled. All these new drugs (lyrica, potiga, Vimpat, Belviq, fycompa, belsomra) these aren't even controlled in other countries.

I wonder if the scheduling has something to do with increased risk of death during the night concerning the elderly or those with severe sleep apnea.

Anyways, Belsomra is pretty fricking expensive for me but I won't go a night without it anymore. There is a study showing orexin antagonists decrease amyloid beta buildup as well, though this is probably related to improved sleep (and less wakefulness) rather than some more direct connection between orexin and amyloid formation

It's expensive huh? That's too bad. My monthly zolpidem script (30 10 mg IR tablets) is 10 dollars.

I wonder if the scheduling has something to do with increased risk of death during the night concerning the elderly or those with severe sleep apnea.

Anyways, Belsomra is pretty fricking expensive for me but I won't go a night without it anymore. There is a study showing orexin antagonists decrease amyloid beta buildup as well, though this is probably related to improved sleep (and less wakefulness) rather than some more direct connection between orexin and amyloid formation

The controlled substance act is based upon potential for abuse and dependency. If you read the prescribing information when they talk about it being schedule IV they talk about it's drug likeability rating and effects in comparison to the schedule IV substance ambien and DEA there for concluded it had the same potential for abuse and thus scheduled it CIV.

Do you find suvorexant to have any recreational potential? If you're familiar with solpidem how would you compare the two?

LOL then it being scheduled is definitely retarded, I don't think there is any mechanism by which an orexin antagonist could possibly lead to likeable effects unless one likes sleep. Zolpidem is very different, belsomra has zero GABA feel, and if I'm not sleeping it has (to me) pretty much zero subjective effect. I think I find that thoughts are easier to quiet so if one was trying to meditate that might come easier but it's distinctly non GABA.

It's similar to Clonidine in the sense that it doesn't induce sleep as much as it allows wakefulness to vanish; this comparison makes sense in light of the relationship between the locus coeruleus/Norepinephrine and orexin I think.

You've never noticed any hallucinations or subjective experiences of the type or hypnogia that's more vivid and pronounced than normal (if you're one who gets hypnogogia phenomenon sometimes in the first place)

And you've never escalated your doses to experiment to see about abuse potential?

I kinda thought the hallucinations were something you could mimic with sublingual melatonin, high dose b6 and an acetylcholineesterase inhibitor

There were definitely more hypnagogic hallucinations at the beginning and also very vivid dreams but these stopped after a couple weeks. Please be careful if you intend to push the dose, there was a story going around of a lady (in her 50s) who just randomly died in her sleep.

I think 40mg is probably safe assuming you have a bit of tolerance (you might find the studies, I can't remember if they did 80mg or not, or if that was the dose that wasn't safe), but I wouldn't abuse it myself just because I want it for sleep.

belsomra

Supposedly suvorexant is highly water soluble. Has anybody tried it intranasally? And I guess it is as I suspected. Another drug that shouldn't be scheduled. All these new drugs (lyrica, potiga, Vimpat, Belviq, fycompa, belsomra) these aren't even controlled in other countries.

It is NOT soluble in water at all?! I have NO clue where you got that information? I considered plugging it, but its NOT soluble, so I ditched that plan. I have taken 40mg, and it did very little to me, but I am so tolerant to drugs, that I feel like a special elephant that cant be knocked down. I've plugged 160mg of oxy, and it does get me high for a few hours, but I tend to have major panic attacks if I take over 120mg. Dilaudid doesnt phase me, and I was recently put on Fentanyl, but it doesnt appear to be working for pain at all. I'm disappointed tbh.

Idk if i had this or not but i was given a pill in the psychiatry ward some Time ago. I was high on a-pihp for days and got really tired after around 15 Minutes. No other effect on the psyche was noted. It wasnt a benzo nor an antihistamine and no neurolepticum. I woke up after 8 hours without any after effects. All in all really good stuff without abuse Potential.