• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Bees with no buzz...

losthippy

Bluelighter
Over many years I've observed honey bees visiting flowering Cannabis plants in growing numbers as the buds fatten and mature. Curiously, the several species of native bees in my area rarely if ever show any interest. As a hive owner I've watched carefully and note that they tend not to land on the buds but rather flit around just scoping things out. Given that the ripening flowers smell pretty dank there must be an attractant in the scent profile to draw them in. There is no nectar reward to be had from female Cannabis though pollen-producing males would be a target if there were any of them around, which rarely happens.

I've read about so-called 'mad honey' derived from rhododendrons and wonder if there are other nectar-producing plants, known to be toxic to humans, that honey bees harvest and which may deliver narcotic effects when consumed. The lists of candidates are many and long globally so it seems odd that 'mad honey' is the example most people are familiar with. Angel's Trumpet, Belladona and Foxgloves come to mind, but I'm no chemist so I'm probably pissing into the wind when it comes to how/if those rendered toxic nectars have any psychotropic potential. Ideas anyone...?

I have a pretty extensive thread on psychoactive honey you should check out, it’s ever evolving. I go over Melipona Bee Honey and Rosemary Honey.

I have heard of honey made from hemp plantations that is reported to have psychoactive effect. I’ve seen some for sale at a higher price than I care to spend right this second. I’d love to one day try some.

-GC