• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Beer during/after benzo WD

024liakam

Bluelighter
Im on vacation an would like to drink some beer every now and then without worrying about being sick and depressed days after like with benzo use. I just got over the acute withdrawal from benzos, once again... and its horrible. Nausea, vomiting, insane depression, severe agitation, and all that good shit. My stomach is still not 100% but its most likely from the vicodin I did 3 days ago. Which offered me slight withdrawal

With pills and opiates, im too the point to where if I do any amount of either I withdrawal.

Im wondering if I drink even 1 beer if it will make withdrawals flare back up and make me sick or if im okay too.
It just sucks, GABA drugs were my favorite and I cant do any without puking for a day and feeling like shit for a week or 2 after consumption of any.

The withdrawal I just got over was pretty intense, it was after my meth binge, which was probably the cause of the insane nausea I got I was asking you guys about. I felt like I was dying, I almost wanted to go to the hospital. The anxiety from it felt like a bad acid trip, I felt like I was loosing my mind and my vision was all fucked.

Point is it felt like typical benzo withdrawal. Will any amount of alcohol flare them back up? I want to drink enough to get drunk and I would want to atleast 4 days out of a week. Atleast thanks guys

I wouldn't think so, but im not sure. Ive drank during opiate and benzo withdrawl and I don't recall it making it any worse. Have one beer and see how you feel. If it does go bad for whatever reason, its only one beer and will wear off pretty quickly.

yeah alcohol and any other gaba a agonist (and possibly gaba b or maybe even other drugs that indirectly affect gaba) will delay the recovery process from benzo withdrawal. especiallly when the alcohol wears off you will be hit with rebound symptoms. although a beer or a glass of wine shouldnt hurt a drug like lyrica or nuerontin would be far better for relief. it is debated as to the level and nature of wd these drugs have themselves.

Alcohol is generally not recommended during this stage as it will delay the process but it shouldn't be anything bad just to have a few beers just don't go drinking a fifth of whiskey lol

Alcohol is generally not recommended during this stage as it will delay the process but it shouldn't be anything bad just to have a few beers just don't go drinking a fifth of whiskey lol
This.
You won't go back into benzo WD from having a beer or two. It's the sustained drinking for days and weeks that you can't do.

- Hopeless 7nos

I came off a lot of xanax and had horrible withdrawal. These days if I drink, it doesnt throw me back into withdrawal but I get way worse hangovers than before and can actually experience a few old benzo symptoms for a day or two. I can drink a glass of wine, maybe 2 without this happening but more than that is just asking for trouble.

I wouldn't doubt that drinking "enough to get drunk at least 4 days a week" may very well set you back near square one.
but I suspect a few drinks here and there would hurt much if at all.

Doesn't alcohol effect GABA-b? Is there a cross tolerance between benzodiazepines and alcohol? I've heard a bunch of arguments say that it does, and a bunch saying it doesn't. Either way, I will tell you that when I would drink during acute alcohol withdrawal, after the initial effects wore off, I swear the alcohol made my BZD withdrawals so much worse.

Alcohol affects gaba a and gaba b to a lesser extent if I remeber correctly, along with other things.

It will take away most of benzo wd symptoms for a short time but with a heavy rebound when it wears off.

anything that affects your CNS will interrupt your body from properly healing. how long has it been since you last used any benzo's and what was your usage like? if anything you'll at a minimum get rebound anxiety since you mention you want to get "drunk" more days in a week than not.

I want to drink enough to get drunk and I would want to atleast 4 days out of a week. Atleast thanks guys

Yeah somehow I missed this.. You definitely want to avoid getting drunk too often l, your brain us still healing.

- Hopeless soul

Alcohol affects gaba a and gaba b to a lesser extent if I remeber correctly, along with other things.

It will take away most of benzo wd symptoms for a short time but with a heavy rebound when it wears off.
This
I wouldn't drink during withdrawal and getting drunk 4 days out of a week will make things way worse. Imo you should stay away from Gabaergics for a few weeks and then start slowly.
Right now it sounds like you want to switch addictions.

It takes many months to over a year to fully recover from benzo's and especially within the first few months I wouldn't drink anymore than a couple or it can set you back a bit and make you want benzo's again even more. Anything that affects the CNS will most likely have a bad effect with your recovery so best to stay away from most things Imo exept smoking weed!

I'm usually not the one to jump in with my opinion regarding your life choices, but if you are really getting so much trouble from this sort of thing; "insanity", "feels like death", "feeling like shit for weeks" then I would highly suggest just abstaining. Withdrawal from sedative/hypnotics like Alcohol and/or Benzodiazepines is not necessarily linear and has the tendency to wax and wane in terms of severity, not to mention it tends to be a pretty protracted experience.

Post-Acute Withdrawal or PAWS for short from Sedative/Hypnotics is a real bitch as I can attest to from experience. I've drank heavily and used Benzodiazepines in the past and have experienced acute withdrawal, followed by weeks to months of apathy, depression, temperature insensitivity, hot flashes, anxiety, lack of appetite etc. It takes a while to be completely back to normal.

If you are indeed still in PAW, then I can virtually guarantee an exacerbation of your symptoms if you choose to consume alcohol. It's not a good idea and you will inevitably regret your decision, so I would advise against it. Not only will you feel like shit, you will probably set your "withdrawal clock" back a bit. All that you've accomplished through your abstinence can be reversed easier than you might think.

Scientists used to think of alcohol as a membrane disruptor with a generalized effect all over the brain, as the small molecule can freely diffuse across the blood–brain barrier. They now know that there are particular cells in the brain that alcohol targets by binding certain hydrophobic pockets on their surface receptors. The gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) receptor is one of these. "Alcohol is an indirect GABA agonist," says Koob.
GABA is the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain, and GABA-like drugs are used to suppress spasms. Alcohol is believed to mimic GABA's effect in the brain, binding to GABA receptors and inhibiting neuronal signaling.

Interpret this as you will, but drinking to get drunk is going to make you feel worse in the morning.

https://www.scripps.edu/newsandviews/e_20020225/koob2.html

Thanks guys, i made the decision im not gonna indulge. First night here i took a shot of that shitty moonshine you can buy in retail stores an next day had the same anxiety and fucked up stomach for a day just less severe for both.

Also ran out of bud so just been smoking mad marb reds

anything that affects your CNS will interrupt your body from properly healing. how long has it been since you last used any benzo's and what was your usage like? if anything you'll at a minimum get rebound anxiety since you mention you want to get "drunk" more days in a week than not.
Last benzo I had was about 2 weeks ago, I ate them for 3 days in a row. First day I had 2.5MG alprazolam, second day 1.5MG alprazolam, and last day .5-.8MG klonopin to mask the xanax WD, it helped until the 4-5th day of not having any, then at night it hit me like a brick of shit, then i smoked some ice and it completely illiminated them until the high was gone

Also ive been thinking the bars i had mightve been pressed. I had and let it sit in my mouth and it almost instantly started dissolving into a sandy feeling and only tasted like aplraz a little bit, like an 1/8 of the bar was only alpraz is what it tasted like, almost barley noticeable, it wasnt an overwhelming taste like alpraz should have. And i usually never eat more than 2MG but had to that time to feel pleased. Im usually pleased around 1-1.5MG

Last edited: