• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Basic Cannabis Grow Questions

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
As soon as I settle into my new place I’ll be able to grow; although sadly July 1rst is too late to plant anything but maybe autoflowers in upper northeast North America/Nova Scotia.

Plan in starting a grow in my garage, which if it isn’t insulated, will soon be. Garage is 100a wired and has a wood stove (gonna be switched out for a pellet stove for longer periods of uninterrupted heat. I’ll have no problem maintaing proper temperatures.

At first, I’m buying an automated grow box that will control every variable but also allow me the freedom to change any parameter (that it controls). kinda like ‘growing weed for, someone who is trying not to be a dummy’. I’ve also got the choice to vent ducting properly through the garage wall which I’m willing to have done.

This at the same time as I’m also trying to put together a small but not cost limited grow.
-Can only grow 4 plants/seeds/seedlings/cuttings/flowering at once and I don’t intend on intentionally going above those legal limits.
-Have about 715 sq ft, so not crowded (don’t drive anymore, so the garage is a play area/experiment place).
-There will be a gas generator inside the garage, also separately vented for exhaust and intake, which would only be used in a power outage, so not normally operating and adding heat to the interior of the garage

I know I have to acquire a lot, but ok. I also have no idea what type of growing system to use or to build. metal Halide, HPS, both, LED, all 3? digital or analog ballast (?), C02, nutrients.

I’m comfortanle w/buying a semi automated grow box. i u derstand the limitations am am ok w/that.

Any tips/pointers/redirects very gladly accepted

thanks

Tom

Last edited:
So you kinda wanna know everything lol

I would suggest you either start with coco coir or peat moss as a medium - that's one of your biggest variables.....i would suggest either Royal Gold Tupur or Pro-Mix HP - you want a light fluffy mix that's nice and aerated and more difficult to overwater

Now depending on if you're going to have a separate area or tent to veg your plants (18-6) from when you're flowering (12-12) i can't give you specifics on the type of bulbs to use until you tell me what your plan is - but i highly suggest you have 2 separate areas for veg and bloom or you'll be wasting time

Now....as far as flowering, just use 1000 watt HPS with a digital ballast - i don't suggest you use any brand of bulb other than Hortilux - nothing compares to Hortilux - they are by far the best bulb - don't F around here....i also suggest you use an Adjust-a-wing for a reflector - the biggest one...i forget the size but look it up....what also works well is the vertizontal parabolic reflector from sun systems - they work great too but i like the adjust-a-wing a little better now

venting...ok im going to give you a formula - you always want a negative pressure in your grow space unless you dont care about smell (which you do care because even if you're not worried about the law, you should always be worried about tweekers)

Required exhaust fan size in CFM = volume of active gowing area x 1.25

volume of active growing area means the active volume occupied by the lights and plants (LxWxH) which will give you an answer in cubic feet

you want one air exchange per minute when you're not supplementing with CO2 or AC

Use a Can-Filter - they are the best and last a really long time - my longest being 9 years - this is why you multiply by 1.25 to account for your filter

now your intake air - you want that to be no more than 85% of your exhaust to maintain a negative pressure - so multiply your exhaust CFM x .85 and don't go above that - stay below it....so if you're using an 8 inch exhaust, most likely, you can just use 4 inch intake fan

there's much more to this but i won't go on until i know we're on the same page

Last edited:
For lighting I personally like those T3 fluorescent tubes for vegetative growth. Cool bulbs with maybe 1-2 warmer. Then for flowering a HPS with T3 fluorescents as supplementary side lighting, with warmer bulbs.

-GC

For lighting I personally like those T3 fluorescent tubes for vegetative growth. Cool bulbs with maybe 1-2 warmer. Then for flowering a HPS with T3 fluorescents as supplementary side lighting, with warmer bulbs.

-GC
i think you might mean T-5s not 3s

That's what I use in veg T-5s

like this:

MpYK1zll.jpg

you can get almost everything you need to start at a Home Depot. I prefer CFLs over T5 because there's no external ballast needed and you can position the CFLs closer, which is important for max lumen penetration as fluoros put out less total light than HID bulbs

Pretty much all you need is some 5-5-5 NPK w/ perlite and some daylight CFLs to start a few plants, once you have got it growing you can firm up your plan for carbon filter and ventilation, and start building out a lightproof grow box for the switch to flowering.

I’ve got access to Home Hardware, Canadian Tire, Walmart Supercenter and one hydroponics store of unknown quality about 40-50 minutes away. And of course ordering online.

@Mr. Krinkle thanks for taking time. Automated grow box will be. BCNL Bloombox with seperate veg/flower/cloning areas. It was my intention to have a seperate veg/flower in my ‘non automated’ setup’. I mean, I could put a grow tent inside the garage and wouldn’t then have to worry bout blocking out the windows of the garage.

It’s the idea of wanting to maintain an 18/6 and 12/12 light cycles simultaneously, right; with the idea of having a perpetually vegging mother from which you take cutting to grow/flower?

I think that’s the page I’m on.

thanks

Tom

I’ve got access to Home Hardware, Canadian Tire, Walmart Supercenter and one hydroponics store of unknown quality about 40-50 minutes away. And of course ordering online.

@Mr. Krinkle thanks for taking time. Automated grow box will be. BCNL Bloombox with seperate veg/flower/cloning areas. It was my intention to have a seperate veg/flower in my ‘non automated’ setup’. I mean, I could put a grow tent inside the garage and wouldn’t then have to worry bout blocking out the windows of the garage.

It’s the idea of wanting to maintain an 18/6 and 12/12 light cycles simultaneously, right; with the idea of having a perpetually vegging mother from which you take cutting to grow/flower?

I think that’s the page I’m on.

thanks

Tom

Ok - so i looked at the BCNL Bloombox....did you buy that already or do you have your heart set on buying that? is it possible you would be open to doing something else other than that?

and no, you don't need to keep moms at all for clones - you can take cuts from the bottoms of the plants you're about the flower - like you take those cuts the day before you flip to 12-12....i don't ever keep moms - they take up too much space and they're not necessary - especially if you're doing something small like you're intending to do...i run about 56 plants in flower and i still don't need moms - i can easily make twice that amount of clones just by taking cuts from the plants im about to flower

see like your first post has me a little confused too - it sounds like you wanna start your plants inside and then put them outside to flower? Is that right?

or are you going full indoor? or both? idk whats going on here
idk.gif

and you dont wanna grow autoflowers - they're crap
hotshit.gif

see like your first post has me a little confused too - it sounds like you wanna start your plants inside and then put them outside to flower? Is that right?

or are you going full indoor? or both? idk whats going on here
idk.gif

and you dont wanna grow autoflowers - they're crap
hotshit.gif

I do want to have an indoor grow, whether that occurs in a retrofitted room or the garage is, at this moment unimportant.
I'd have room for a BCNL box in the house, but much more room in the garage.

So, no grow yet. Not set on buying the BCNL box, but like I said, with zero experience I wanted something kinda dummy proof at the same time as I was learning and trying to set up/build a system that was not 'from a kit'. In other words, I have the money and time to do this properly; however if I go into a store at the moment I feel like I have a 'spend sign' painted on me.

At the learning stage and trying not to make inappropriate purchases.

Tom

I do want to have an indoor grow, whether that occurs in a retrofitted room or the garage is, at this moment unimportant.
I'd have room for a BCNL box in the house, but much more room in the garage.

So, no grow yet. Not set on buying the BCNL box, but like I said, with zero experience I wanted something kinda dummy proof at the same time as I was learning and trying to set up/build a system that was not 'from a kit'. In other words, I have the money and time to do this properly; however if I go into a store at the moment I feel like I have a 'spend sign' painted on me.

At the learning stage and trying not to make inappropriate purchases.

Tom

Ok...now i get where you're coming from...let me steer you in the right direction, ive had to build many grows in different types of houses and setups, and even in apartments, so trust me on this...

Alright - so don't waste your money on that thing...and i'll tell ya why....first of all, that thing is stupid expensive. Also, the more you're in your garden, the better it is overall because you're not gonna miss anything. So hand watering is going to keep you in touch with your plants, and as a rookie, you need that experience. Plus, if one thing fails when you're running hydro, your plants are toast. You're also limited in what nutrients you can run in a hydro setup and you'll be all chem nutes so forget about anything that's too thick like a lot of nutes can be. If you're only going to be flowering a limited amount of plants, well then that's as easy as getting a 5 gallon spring water jug, and just mixing your nutes up in that and watering your plants the old fashion way with a watering can. There's a very good chance, that you're going to be in discovery mode for a couple years, trying to figure what you think works best for you.

As far where you're going to put your flowering area, well it is kinda important, because you're #1 issue is venting - so you'll have to solve that issue first and make sure you can do it. As far as covering windows, well you can just tape up some panda film (look that up) 1 side is black the other side white. You have the white side inside and the black would be facing outside - idk if you have windows on the garage doors or if it's just a couple random windows...is this a detached garage or part of the house?

If it's only 4 plants, why do a whole garage? Are you planning those 4 into some monster SoG or something? If you are doing some relatively average sized plants, a smaller room can have an easier to control atmosphere.

My #1 piece of advice for noobs is take it easy. Dont get your lights too close. Dont water too often. Dont use too many nutrients. Dont trim/train too much. These are all things noobs do. Growing is exciting and you'll want to micromanage. Dont. Start simple, and keep it simple, and then make small modifications to your setup as you get experience.

I recommend starting with organic soil, but that's just my personal preference. Hydro is complicated.

Home Hardware! Hah! That takes me back. Remember Beaver Lumber?

But yes, as has been said, keep it simple. The only thing you really need to get right from the start is lighting. Pump as much wattage as you can and you'll end up with plenty of weight from just a normal soil grow with minimal nuting

Thanks for the replies.

@RedRum OG There’s 3 bedrooms and the house I just bought has a garage that Would otherwise remain unused b/c I gave away my car and only keep a license for ID when I started dialysis. I’ve got all this space, it’s wired, can be easily insulated if it isn’t already - and it’s 2-300 metres to the closest neighbor. It’s legal in the province I’m moving to so I’m planning things out. But no, I’m not set on monster sativa’s. I’ll settle for no bud but constantly learning.

@thujone. Yes; and it sorta split in two (to McDairmid and Kent?) didn’t it? I understand that there can be lots of $ involved or it can be done on the cheap.

Lightwise I’m thinking about going with separate metal halide and HPS bulbs and use a digital, switchable ballast. I can always acquire additional lighting (led or cfl’s) later. I do have to decide soil/hydroponic and am still learning. If soil I’d have to place the pots on pallets b/c of lifting restriction.

Tom

if you're gonna use fabric pots and your plants start drying up from too much water put some cardboard under it to make it suck out the excess

Ok here's my take on quickly reading through the comments.
Firstly, I would stay out of the house. It complicates things, family etc.
Garage will be better suited as you know that's your "grow area".
Two tents, one for flower, one for veg and a small table outside where you can keep your nutrients, water etc with a couple t5s for clones when you getting ready for a new cycle.
MH is good for vegging as they will keep your plants shorter and more bushy than hps, swop over to HPS when you decide to flower.
If you intend to run c02 you'll have to have an aircon even if it's only two 600watt hps lights. Unless it's super cold where your at, and with the gas heater I asume it won't. I don't have experience with leds and c02 but it will in the long run be more cost effective as most growers are slowly switching over.
I think imo it would be best to if you can afford them start with leds as it's the future for sure. Hps is old school and what I have been using for years, but they are alot more expensive to run and generate alot of heat.
If you want to grow for your own consumption, go organic. Bio bizz nutes with some good organic soil is the way. Flavor will be what your looking for, automating everything is easy enough. And you should be able to get away with once a day check in once all is dialed in.
C02 yes, it will increase yields without a doubt.
Two 2.4 x 1.2m tents will be plenty and fit four nice sized plants comfortably in each. You'll be surprised at what you can get from one tent if done correctly.
It's a learning curve for sure. But with proper planning and taking care of them you'll do well on your first run.
If you have a greenthumb it's a plus, but not a necessity. Cannabis can be grown following a simple recipe. It's very easy and if you have access to good genetics all the better.
If you have a basic understanding you'll be in for some dank home grown with little effort.
Good luck! And I'd be happy to help if you need any more info

As soon as I settle into my new place I’ll be able to grow; although sadly July 1rst is too late to plant anything but maybe autoflowers in upper northeast North America/Nova Scotia.

Plan in starting a grow in my garage, which if it isn’t insulated, will soon be. Garage is 100a wired and has a wood stove (gonna be switched out for a pellet stove for longer periods of uninterrupted heat. I’ll have no problem maintaing proper temperatures.

At first, I’m buying an automated grow box that will control every variable but also allow me the freedom to change any parameter (that it controls). kinda like ‘growing weed for, someone who is trying not to be a dummy’. I’ve also got the choice to vent ducting properly through the garage wall which I’m willing to have done.

This at the same time as I’m also trying to put together a small but not cost limited grow.
-Can only grow 4 plants/seeds/seedlings/cuttings/flowering at once and I don’t intend on intentionally going above those legal limits.
-Have about 715 sq ft, so not crowded (don’t drive anymore, so the garage is a play area/experiment place).
-There will be a gas generator inside the garage, also separately vented for exhaust and intake, which would only be used in a power outage, so not normally operating and adding heat to the interior of the garage

I know I have to acquire a lot, but ok. I also have no idea what type of growing system to use or to build. metal Halide, HPS, both, LED, all 3? digital or analog ballast (?), C02, nutrients.

I’m comfortanle w/buying a semi automated grow box. i u derstand the limitations am am ok w/that.

Any tips/pointers/redirects very gladly accepted

thanks

Tom
Dont waste your money on automated if you physically cant grow yourself. Stick that money in lighting. Were all doin LEDs now. Decide what medium you wanna use and you can prob get some better answers about nutes. I suggest coco since its yielded fantastic results for me.

Ok here's my take on quickly reading through the comments.
Firstly, I would stay out of the house. It complicates things, family etc.
Garage will be better suited as you know that's your "grow area".
Two tents, one for flower, one for veg and a small table outside where you can keep your nutrients, water etc with a couple t5s for clones when you getting ready for a new cycle.
MH is good for vegging as they will keep your plants shorter and more bushy than hps, swop over to HPS when you decide to flower.
If you intend to run c02 you'll have to have an aircon even if it's only two 600watt hps lights. Unless it's super cold where your at, and with the gas heater I asume it won't. I don't have experience with leds and c02 but it will in the long run be more cost effective as most growers are slowly switching over.
I think imo it would be best to if you can afford them start with leds as it's the future for sure. Hps is old school and what I have been using for years, but they are alot more expensive to run and generate alot of heat.
If you want to grow for your own consumption, go organic. Bio bizz nutes with some good organic soil is the way. Flavor will be what your looking for, automating everything is easy enough. And you should be able to get away with once a day check in once all is dialed in.
C02 yes, it will increase yields without a doubt.
Two 2.4 x 1.2m tents will be plenty and fit four nice sized plants comfortably in each. You'll be surprised at what you can get from one tent if done correctly.
It's a learning curve for sure. But with proper planning and taking care of them you'll do well on your first run.
If you have a greenthumb it's a plus, but not a necessity. Cannabis can be grown following a simple recipe. It's very easy and if you have access to good genetics all the better.
If you have a basic understanding you'll be in for some dank home grown with little effort.
Good luck! And I'd be happy to help if you need any more info
He said something about autos and you wouldnt need the two tents, just one big one.

if you're gonna use fabric pots and your plants start drying up from too much water put some cardboard under it to make it suck out the excess
Why not just stick a self draining tray underneath so ypu dont have to wprry about drainage and gettin it sucked back up?

Sorry I didn't read thoroughly, but your complete right.
If he's growing auto's you won't need two tents, or the cloning table outside.
That said, if your interested in doing this long term, I would rather go for photos and start hunting good genetics. Autos are cool and you can get decent bud in a shorter amount of time. In the long run though, I personally think photos are the way to go.
He said something about autos and you wouldnt need the two tents, just one big one.

Why not just stick a self draining tray underneath so ypu dont have to wprry about drainage and gettin it sucked back up?
I read this post on skunk magazine, where they explained how to water with just a tray under each plants where the plants use up all of the run off. It was pretty interesting, and I actually experiment with it for one 8 week cycle, after always dumping my runoff. I was quite surprised with the results. Just putting it out there if you were interested as I assume you also dump your runoff?
You would need a good dehumidifier though no doubt.